Where to find - small quanties of 5.1k resistors?

Looks like you found Amazon. I was also going to suggest Microcenter and Fry’s. Marietta Microcenter only has 3 in stock, but if you order online they usually come in in 3-4 days tops. It might be worth ordering a starter kit if you’re going to be doing much. I’ve found “number of pieces” isn’t as important as “number of different values”.

I checked out both local options, and neither of them had 5.1k listed online. Even the bulk packs at Microcenter seemed to skip that value. I can stop by and double check, but when ebay is willing to give them to me for free, well, it’s hard to pass that up.

The free ebay’s are through-hole. I need to go back and check for SMD. Can’t play with what you don’t have.

DigiKey shipping is $5 and they ship the same day. It will likely take 2 days to arrive with even the cheapest shipping (1st class). IDK why you didn’t bother to take the time to check out.

I have accounts at none of the suppliers mentioned. I’m not going to bother setting up accounts with every place I visit just to get full quotes w/ shipping on $1 worth of product.

That’s an odd/uncommon value. 4.7k was the de facto TTL pullup resistor since Jesus graduated from MIT, and 5.6k was the typical next step up. It’s a perfectly standard value, but just not very commonly used… ’til usb-c.

SMD resistors fairly cheap on amazon as well. Looking at the pins on the USB connector for the LT1, I suspect the lead on a through hole resistor will span multiple pins. I think the idea by mlodyulek to use a mod wire makes sense though.