Which 10440 flashlights are good these days? And 10440 batteries.

Congrats on your bling bling purchase. Yes I saw that thread. Just do a simple search. It’s by djozz, the one whom I quoted.

Hi,

Just opened up the Z10, and it is definitely “hefty” (and “blingy”). Came with a charger and a 10440, which I’m charging now…

Jim

Wow hope you enjoy using the light later! I searched everywhere, seems to come with the standard gift box and manual, with charger and a 10440. Seems like this special colour is intended to be given as a gift.

It is made of brass, probably nickel-plated, that is why it is so heavy.

Hi,

Yes, it comes in a nice box, and what you said is what I thought, that it’s meant as a gift box.

The battery is just a gray TrustFire 10440 (TR10440), and it’s only 600 mAh. I think it’s unprotected.

The charger is not bad so far, based on one usage. It charged the 10440, and ending voltage was about 4.19V, so it’s actually has a better terminating voltage than a TR003 p4 charger that I have.

Modes are H~~M>LStrobe~~>SOS and it does momentary, and then if you click all the way, the mode is set. The tail switch is kind of too deeply recessed into the tail, I think. It’s hard to press.

And, as mentioned, it is very hefty.

Jim

Okay I found my picture of my (left to right) LD01, CQG S2, DQG AA, and a Liteflux LF5XT. The LD01 uses 1xAAA. The other three use 1xAA, and I use a 14500 in the CQG and DQG.

Thanks for the DQG AA suggestion, and the effort for putting up a picture comparison! Though it’s small enough, I’m still looking out for 10440 lights, for the bodies to be as small as possible, and still having a good output. The main motivation is to find smaller lights with almost the smallest and yet common batteries around — AAA. Or 10440 which doesn’t seem to be popular.

But this DQG AA is amazing. I have known it long ago, but I never really checked out its length as I’m focused on looking for AAA or 10440, so I dismissed it seeing that it is AA. But at 72mm it’s so so short, and comparable to some AAA lights. I had previously another thread here which I tried to find as short as possible lights, now it’s going into the list.

LD01 takes 10440 batts just fine…and it is an awesome little light! I am running the marsfire protected 10440s…but I had to ream out the LD01 body because the protection circuit OD was just slightly too big.

I have 4 batteries and rotate them often, then charge them at once using the i4 intellicharger. When 4 are charged at once, it supposedly charges at 300 mAh, which I understand is about the max load they should be charged under…someone correct me if I am wrong.

LD01 takes 10440 batts just fine…and it is an awesome little light! I am running the marsfire protected 10440s…but I had to ream out the LD01 body because the protection circuit OD was just slightly too big.

I have 4 batteries and rotate them often, then charge them at once using the i4 intellicharger. When 4 are charged at once, it supposedly charges at 300 mAh, which I understand is about the max load they should be charged under…someone correct me if I am wrong.

Found this company that sells the Balder BD-0 here rebranded. I have carried mine for over two years everyday. The 10440 they sell have worked very well and cut off at 2.85 volts if you let it run down. I have also started using blue protected Trustfires for over two months. The Trustfires are holding up very well.

On high the light puts out about 230lm and can be held for 2 minutes before you have to put it down. On low it runs about 80lm for just over an hour and remains only warm.

If you’re ready to step up, and tired of messing with low output, you need to check out MBI’s HF, HF-R, and up-coming Torpedo. http://www.matchboxinstruments.com/development-status.html

The HF is a no bones 2” keychain light that comes with 3 specially made Nuke 10250 cells that allow it to output over 500 lumens! In short burst of course because it makes a lot of heat! It comes with a 10440 battery tube as well, in which nothing compares to the Efest IMR10440 cell. The Efest 10440 performs about as well as the Nuke, allowing this little direct drive XM-L2 light to start up at some 3A!!

I’ve used these cells in 4 high power lights for months now, including the one always around my neck in my custom made Titanium light from Photon Fanatic. I carry 2 spares with me all the time as well, cause you just never know when some crazy white wall is gonna need killing in a bad way!!! Here’s the custom made Ti light with the spare Efest cell…

These aren’t exactly budget lights, but nothing else really compares.

I made this poster for application on a T-shirt, enjoy!

Do you have any Efest IMR10440 v2 or perhaps have seen anyone compare it to v1?

I have a decent AAA collection and I’m pretty sure that 10440s work in just about every light I own that I want them to.

There’s a few recent additions to my collection I haven’t tested yet. Before I do, has anyone tried these lights?

1. Solitaire LED
2. Blackshadow Eva
3. Solarforce X3
4. Ultrafire M5

A couple lights I tried should work but my cells don’t engage the reverse polarity protection:

1. Streamlight Microstream
2. Pelican 1910

A few that I have used 10440 with and carried extensively:

1. Fenix LD01
2. Thrunite Ti and Ti2
3. Olight I3
4. Olight I3S

A few 5mm lights I don’t really have an interest in trying.

1. Fenix E01
  2. Sunwayman R01A
  3. Nitecore T0

The black 10440 protected cells are too long for most of my lights. The only one they fit in is my Thrunite Tis, which is quite bright and quite hot on the 10440. But they wouldn’t work in my Tank or my Olight. Are the non-protected Efest batteries more usable in these other lights?

+1

I love mine too! The ONLY thing missing here is a moonlight mode. Got an i3S coming that ‘may’ end up replacing the A3…we’ll see. Glad to hear the i3S works fine with a 10440, hope the moonlight mode doesn’t get too bright with that much voltage pushing it!

Hello Racer,

I have an UF M5 and its a superb light!!! It outputs almost 350 lumens on 10440, is cheap and good looking.

I recommend it as outhrows almost completely LD01 (Fenix) which is a known light.

I use an Efest battery with it as an Ultrafire grey protected I used had a problem with this light (didn’t contact well with the driver).

Generally I’m happy with it!!!.

Concerning the Solitaire LED I want to buy it but its price and its output (too low for me) make me not to (buy it).

Have a nice day, yannis.

I have been dabbling in small flashlights recently and here is what I have to say:

For normal basic EDC I have a Blackshadow Eva with a Energizer Ultimate Lithium, simple, basic one mode, cheap, battery life so far is great!

I recently bought my wife a Tank 007 Tk-703 and it has a grey UF 10440 and I am actually quite impressed. Tail switch which is nice and it throws pretty decent for a little light!

I have a Lumapower LM21 with the XPG2 and I am quite impressed with it. Tail clicky which I like. I had troubles initially with the switch but with a replacement it works fine and is BRIGHT (420 claimed lumens) but that is with a Efest 10440. It is mostly all flood, but still “throws” pretty good because of the sheer light. UF grey 10440 is too long but can be made to work with a paper clip spacer, but for the highest mode a Efest is needed anyway because of high current draw.

The i3S is a little jewel of a light…i carry an Eneloop and an Efest 10440 to have all the options. Put it on your cap to make an excellent headlamp! :party:

You can also use an Ultra(p∞p)Fire for an intermediate option.

I got my A3T in a couple of weeks ago. I popped an Efest in and that little son of a gun started out at 400 lumens and ended up about 250 otf after 30 seconds. It was HOT! I like this little light but do not recommend using an IMR cell in it. I don’t think it would last very long.

Quoted to prevent disappearance.