Which brand is better? Spyderco Byrd vs. Ganzo

No, I’m just an idiot. I meant the Cryo with G10 scales. I’m all ears on suggestions. One of my boys saw the brawler and said he liked it. I don’t like Tanto blades, but this isn’t for me.

The Brawler is good, but it isn't one of my favorites.

I created a thread that lists my 13 faves:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/50173

Really sad to see the skyline isn’t on there. But, it’s not assisted opening.
Before the skyline, about once a year, sometimes sooner, I would get a new knife. Usually a Kershaw or Benchmade, and always assisted. After we had our daughter I really wanted a new knife, and saw the skyline on sale. Wasn’t assisted, but said what the heck, I’ll give it a shot. Glad I did, because 6 years now and it’s still one of my favorites

I've heard nothing but good things about the Skyline, and if it were A/O, I would pick one up.

They don’t call it an Axis Lock. They call it a G-lock or something. The problem is “Axis Lock” has kind of become the Kleenex of the knife lock world. Everybody calls it that even if the company itself doesn’t. There’s no bona fide patent infringement here. Prior to 2016 Ganzo was marketed and sold in China only (no patent in China). You don’t have to like the ethics, but there was no law broken.
No need to be militant here. This is just a discussion.

Byrd is good for the price, ganzo i think is even better for the price. Is ganzo de best brand? No. Ch and real steel are better. Ganzo has a very good price/quality relation and they have done improvements about the steel and lock system.
There are a lot of good brands too: y-start, harnds, cima, fura, sanrenmu, hx outdoors, enlan…

My favorite and current daily carry is the Kershaw mini-cyclone with titanium handle and zdp-189 blade. At one point ( i purchased it in 2007) my son “borrowed” it and several years later returned it when the speed safe no longer worked. I mailed it off to Kershaw and it came back fixed, blade sharpened to razor edge. love this knife!

ken

You can get them for so cheap? Outside the USA Spyderco is insanely expansive. I’ve seen a tenacious (made in china) for the same price of a paramilitary!

Yeah. The Byrd line are all around $20 each on Amazon.

For EEUU, no for Europe. Here between 30€ and 60€ (non titanium), depends on model, 49€… Etc.

The Mini Cyclone 1635 is the first quality knife I ever bought, back in 2008.

Mine has an aluminum handle and normal steel.

It's the only knife I have owned where the assisted-opening can be turned on or off.

I've never sent any of my Kershaw knives back to the manufacturer.

That's sweet that they fixed your knife.

A couple years ago I bought my brother a Kershaw Clash. He beat it up pretty good at work cutting rubber mats and God knows what else. He broke the lock and the blade was all jacked and covered with some tacky material. I mailed it to Kershaw to fix the lock. They sent it back a few weeks later looking brand new.

Kudos to Kershaw, they make a quality knife with an unbeatable service policy.

Raccoon, have you tried the Barstow? Got to looking at knives and that one cought my eye

Just got a ganzo 7603 in. Its the one with axis-lock(G lock) and ball bearings.
It looks very nice and the steel is the same as my other ganzo so OK steel. The thing is the axis lock is very hard to use. You need to use a lot of force and the g10 around the lock is not milled out enough so that you can get a propper grip. If the axis lock would be better this knife would be perfect.

Adjust the omega springs and you’ll luv it. EZ nuff

No, I like knives with metal handles.

Man, your a picky raccoon… Lol

Well, I ordered one earlier. I actually prefer knives without metal handles, but it’s not really a deal breaker for me either way. I’m damn picky with my knives, but not real specific.

How about a blur? Had one of them for probably close to a decade. Like that one a lot too

I do have a Blur.

It's great, but it doesn't have a flipper, and I really like flippers on knives.

I guess I am extremely picky.

Basically I want a straight edge, a design I like, and right around a 3” blade give or take. A knife on the slimmer side is preferred.
My blur has a partially serrated tanto blade, liked it in my early 20s, but now in my early 30s I realize how much better a straight blade is, to me anyway.
Been a while since I bought a new knife. Did get a new Ganzo g707 a little bit ago, but I have had several of them now. People always want to buy them off me.

Really think a Benchmade 556-1 will be one of my next too. I had a regular griptilian mini and lost it a few years ago. Miss that knife, and the 556-1 has really caught my eye, but damn that price tag…