Which lights stopped working?

Putting more UFO lights on your head? ;-)

Made it working again with the use of this driver, but I had to dremel-off 1mm of the edge on the driver to make it fit.

In my country Germans have the reputation of having no sense of humour.

You regularly prove that this stereotype is completely wrong - you make me laugh often.

I'll see what I can do ;)

I like British humour too. That classic Monty Python stuff is great in my opinion.

Today my Akoray died after a very short drop (30cm / 12in). It had survived some nasty ones (over 3m/10ft) and I considered it indestructible. Unfortunately, due to my very low soldering skills, it will most likely stay dead.

I'm on the market for a new "high end" EDC. Must have a decent low, a decent high and mode memory. Suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks in advance...

My Tank E07 was dropped and has been flickering/funky since then. My BLF AA Y4E had continuity problems at the head and the tail, but copper washers have fixed that.

Sam

Few days ago a R5 1 mode ultrafire dropin in the 504B (new style body) flickered a few times then died. After the usual reverse ingeneering i narrowed it to the driver. Impossible to repair a driver swap was made. Unfortunetely i did not have any spare single mode drivers so i used a Ak-47 it is a lo-med-high now.

My UF-H2B is one of the few lights in this thread that stopped working without being caused by operator malfunction.

It had a short life, only 7 days. After joining our family 21 Jan, it faded away peacefully on 28 Jan, 2011. There were no sparks, just a faint odour of fried electronics when it was opened up.

UF-H2B had no more than 4 hours of use. I was using it to read in bed without disturbing the wife, always at a low brightness. The day before it finally called it quits it had very slowly become quite dim, as if the battery was almost flat. The same thing happened the day it died, except I had it shining on the light meter at the time and couldn't get a stready reading. So I swapped in a fresh eneloop for the old one. But it refused to wake up afterwards.

I've sent an email to KD but I don't expect a reply any time soon. Is there any chance of them sending me a replacement?

I posted this information elsewhere but I thought it belonged in this thread as well.

Angus

i have lost count of all the lights that have died most of them my own doing you know temptation to see if you can squeeze a little bit more out of them with a more volts

most resent was a fusion 36 led for the mag i run it on increasing volts to see what it could handle from 2.4v way up to over 12.v on 3x 18500s

it is rated at 9.v max after 2 hours on the 12+volts it died {this was all done in the name of science} later examination on dis-assembly showed the LEDs still worked the regulation component had burnt out

some of the LEDs have been used to up grade small button cell key-chain lights i get at my local bargain store with great success the more expensive lights that have failed are a zebra-light H31worked for a few days then refused to switch on replaced by the dealer over here in the UK

my little FENIX LOD seems to be on its way out but i have had it for 2 years

Hi Sam

Welcome to BLF

Glad to have you here - hope you enjoy your visits here!

I had problems with one E07 but it was easy enough to fix. See this thread at Jayki. I got it to play nice again well down the page.

http://www.jayki.com/5538

Don - Thanks, I read through that link when my Tank died. Unfortunately, my head did not have the two divots which would allow me to unscrew it. I tried drilling two depressions, but still couldn't loosen it. It still works, but is finicky - I suspect one of the springs in the head got moved - applying pressure to the lens will usually get the light to switch on. At some point, I will try putting the holes in the head properly and see if I can force it loose.

Sam

Got a new set of circlip pliers, boiled the head and was finally able to get the pill out!!! After quite a bit of fiddling - couldn't find anything wrong - I put everything back together and it seems to be fixed. I'll cross my fingers for now - really appreciate your tutorial on how to take apart the head.

Sam

My Uniquefire L2 XPG-R5 5-mode died when i was using it as a bike-light. I had used it a week or so, and there were no problems, but that day it stopped working after 1km...

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/uniquefire-l2-cree-xpg-r5-5-mode-320-lumen-led-flashlight-black-1-18650-33549

The led was overdriven (1,9A on a 4,2V 18650, tested when it was still working), and the flashlightbody did not heat up very fast. With 8W and almost no thermal contact between the dropin and the flashlightbody it is no wonder the led just fell off the star.

I had two aurora's, a PK-7 and a wf-600. Both had bad tailcaps after maybe a month of light (pun intended) use. Both from DX. I also just recently had trouble with the Uniquefire xm-l. Dome came off the led and then the driver started operating in low mode only. Complained to DX and wrote a review which they would not post.