Which movie did you watch lastֻ

I said I was going to try to watch Midway (2019), and I did. I’m not going to criticize the special effects quality, because obviously you can’t find many WW2-era aircraft and fly them around to make a movie, so a lot of digitally-created aircraft and ships were necessary. However, there were lot of details in the special effects I found puzzling, like the small tails on the B-26 medium bombers, and the tiny bombs on the SBD Dauntless dive bombers. Why?

More important and more puzzling to me were the way the events in the full story were depicted, and the events not mentioned that I thought should have been mentioned. For example, I don’t understand why there wasn’t a more full and clear depiction of the way the torpedo squadrons the US sent to attack the Japanese carriers were systematically destroyed by the screening Japanese A6M fighter aircraft before they could get close enough to make a successful attack. The movie showed a lot of US aircraft being shot down, but the movie seems to depict this as coming about from anti-aircraft fire, which was not the case, and it doesn’t show the squadrons being decimated one by one, which would have better highlighted the number of lives lost by the US Navy aircraft crews.

In particular, there should have been a more explicit depiction of how outclassed some of the US aircraft were by the Japanese A6M fighter, and how little prepared many of the US aircraft crews were to fight and survive. Many of the gunners in the back seat of the dive bombers and torpedo bombers had never even fired their guns in flight. And front line US aircraft like the Brewster F2A Buffalo fighter and SB2U Vindicator dive bomber were death traps to their crews, as they were easily out-maneuvered by the Japanese “Zero” fighters.

Similarly, the loss of the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown was only briefly mentioned. Yet the story of its sinking was prolonged and relatively complex, with a lot of human drama that would have made for a more interesting and balanced movie. I had the same reaction to the cursory attention to the attack by the Japanese Navy on the Midway atoll. They did a good job showing the story of how John Ford was there, and insisted on shooting film during the battle, but there could have been more focus on the preparation of the base on Midway, as the atoll was the focus of the attack by the Japanese.

In the aerial battles around the Japanese carriers, the story of the events that occurred would have made more sense to viewers as they unfolded if there had been more explanation in the movie about which carriers were being attacked, and which US squadrons were attacking them. The various squadrons could have been identified as to their origin (i.e. based on Midway or the Yorktown, or the Enterprise, etc.). The overall picture of the battle would have been more clear that way, than the haphazard action depicted in the movie. Yes, the attacks did not occur as planned, but there was some coordination attempted, and some achieved. It would have made the movie more meaningful to show more about the details of who was attacking which ships at which times, and how the attempted coordination fell apart, and how the desperate, last-second attempts at coordination succeeded for the US forces.

After all, the US forces made many severe mistakes in attacking the Japanese carriers. For example, in most cases the aircraft attacked from the same side of each carrier - failing to split the anti-aircraft fire coming from the ships. And the US torpedo and dive bombers rarely met up with the fighter aircraft they needed for protection - the planned meetings before the attacks failed in almost every case. This should have been shown in the movie, because it would have made the outcome seem even more unexpected and surprising than it appeared in the movie. For this reason, there is no excuse for not making clear that the US aircraft destroyed three Japanese carriers within less than ten minutes, and the fourth shortly after that. It seemed to me that this would have been a major highlight to mention in the movie, for dramatic effect, especially after the previous attacks had failed miserably and resulted in a terrible loss of aircraft and life for the US.

It is also mystifying to see the movie show the US submarine fire one torpedo at the Japanese fleet, which missed its intended target. In fact, the US sub fired several torpedoes, and one of them probably hit a carrier. Unfortunately, few US torpedoes at that point in the war actually exploded upon impact, so the torpedo that hit the Japanese carrier did not explode. This would have been another interesting fact to get into the movie. I also don’t understand why the movie showed at least one US dive bomber flying lengthwise across a Japanese aircraft carrier and dropping a bomb just a few feet above the deck of the ship. That didn’t happen. That’s just silly. There was at least one US aircraft that dived into a Japanese ship after being disabled and going out of control, but no aircraft did level bombing a few feet above the deck of the target on purpose. Some of the dialog was equally unrealistic - especially the questioning of the decisions of the Japanese commanders by their subordinates. Some of that dialog was clearly inserted in the script to explain the facts to viewers, but those facts could have been shown without dialog more realistically, I think.

Interesting movie depiction of a complex battle. I guess I can’t expect every detail I found most interesting to be included, but in total I felt that the story would have been more interesting and understandable if it were presented a little differently, with fewer dramatic embellishments that weren’t realistic.

Funny, I just caught Midway too. I avoided it because I didn’t see the point in remaking it since the original was just about perfect. It’s okay but I’m glad I didn’t spend $50 to see it in the theater.

I was just gonna ax… 1976 or 2019? I only saw the 1976 version, and only vaguely recall it was a long movie, no?

If this is the 2019 version, think I’ll skip it. Just like “The Fog”, only the original is worth a damn.

I’m sorry - I should have mentioned it was the 2019 version I was commenting on, above. I’ll add the year, and one more comment, about the Brewster Buffalo.

Flypaper (2011)

Interesting movie with high-profile cast. Still watching it atm.
It is about multiple robberies taking place simultaneously

I saw the original and I think I liked it.

I'll be avoiding the remake.

Same like “The Blob”. Original? Classic. Remake? Shouldda called it “The Blah”.

Coupla good ones today.

First up was “Death Of A Vlogger”, which was fantastic. Killed in the imdb ratings, but that’s no surprise. It’s a combo of horror, “found footage”, and documentary. Whut?? Yeah, but it worked so well. (Subtle and not-so-subtle references to “Ringu” and “Annabelle” punctuate the flick.)

Basically, a vlogger sets the stage for mysterious photos and subsequent haunting (his own!), videos go viral, he’s exposed as a hoaxster, and all Hell breaks loose. At first I thought it was going to end with a fizzle, but it didn’t. (Is he, or isn’t he, a hoaxster? Watch it and find out! :laughing: )

Definitely recommended, especially for horror/FF buffs.

Next up was “Empathy, Inc.”, which was really good, except for the ending. It was all good, but I would’ve left off that last “twist”, personally. It was just… weird.

XVR, or “eXtreme Virtual Reality” is the product of a startup company looking for investors. The “hook” is to let the rich’n’famous experience life as one of the underprivileged classes. If they thought their own days were lousy, “walking a mile in their shoes” and learning empathy for those not as privileged as they, should snap them back to reality, making their troubles seem trifling in comparison.

Joel gets taken in… and taken. Now he wants his investors’ money back, but is blackmailed by the real secret of XVR. It’s a surreal journey, even filmed in black’n’white to get that point across.

Pacing was pretty good, it didn’t draaaaag like some recent flicks I saw, and I wasn’t constantly checking the time to see how much was left. To me, that’s a sign of a good movie. :laughing:

Also recommended.

Watched
American Psycho, one of my favorite movies.

Just discovered ‘Trumbo’, what a great film.
I learned a lot about the paranoia of the 50’s and the way different people reacted. I didn’t realise what a brave man Kirk Douglas was and the more I discover about John Wayne the less I like.

Streaming right now:
The Old Guard

Charlize Theron in a great role.

A group of mercenaries, all centuries-old immortals with the ablity to heal themselves, discover someone is onto their secret, and they must fight to protect their freedom.

I liked that movie also.

Per the Coonster’s rec, I grabbed “Open Grave” and watched it tonight. Nice! Kept my interest throughout, had me guessing whether it’d be supernatural, criminal, extraterrestrial, or other. I intentionally try to “go in blind” not knowing too much about a movie as to not spoil it, and was glad in this case that I did.

Kept getting spoonfed little teeny doses of flashback, not too much as to spoil anything with The Big Reveal, and not so little as to frustrate you with an overdose of “wtf??”-ness. Is he a good guy? Is he a bad guy? Is he both? Neither? And all the rest… just how do they know each other? Just the right amount of teaser info to keep you guessing and keep you interested.

Great “air of mystery” via the music, almost buzzing in your ear in tense moments, etc., and great music through the final credits.

Definitely recommended.

I liked how the main characters all had amnesia, and by the end of the movie, it does all make sense.

I did not guess what was going on, which is good, and I really enjoyed the thick atmosphere of the film.

I perused the comments after posting the above, and a lot of comments were all the same: the less you know about the movie/plot going in, the better.

That's true with a lot of movies, so I try to know very little about a film before I watch it.

Watched the new Tom Hanks war movie “Greyhound” today.

Extremely good.

I saw Chained (2012).

It stars the star of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, but he plays a very different role in this movie.

The acting is excellent, and the music is decent.

The movie is kinda slow, but I like the film.

Old Guard
4/10
Trailer was not promising, but I gave it a shot for Charlize and Mathias.
Politically correct plastic pulp served to the screen.
Charlize is not acting, she just put the words out. Mathias like piece of wood, do no go that way… It leads you nowhere.
And warning at the end: there will be a sequel :facepalm
Wasted time.

I also had higher hopes for the concept of eternal mercenaries. The thought of surviving humanity over so many generations and being immortal piqued such an interest in me that I was quite disappointed with the outcome.
The movie and the cast were a wasted opportunity.