Why I like the Hi-CRI Nichia 219 (Now with comparison pics)

(updated OP with comparison photos)
—————————————————————————

OldLumens, I like your idea. Tinning the PCB first and setting the emitter on the pad before heating again must alleviate the requisite fussing when placing the emitter perfectly in my method. Thanks for that!

That wall shot looks like a bag of Skittles ! I'm really digging the Nichia, and the Neutral (3C) XM-L.

Thanks for the pics.

I just reflow soldered 3 Nichia 219.

1st try was on a cook-top, trying to use the bit of solder that was already on the board. Bad idea; the board’s white coating got brown, the insulation layer smoked - and the LED didn’t solder onto it (no damage either).
Fortunately I ordered one excess board :slight_smile:

Then I took solder paste, applied it with a syringe, and heated with a normal lighter from below while holding it with locking tweezers. Success! Fast and simple :slight_smile:

Now I can order bare emitters and driver boards whenever that’s cheaper/better available :slight_smile:

Thanks BLF :slight_smile:

thanks, what is the CCT of these Nichia 219’s?.
are they good for the eyes, as they do say between 3700-4300 is good.
also compared to the XML’s these only give out 200 or so lumens.
would it not be better to go for XML, & Incan?.

??
see;

True 90+ Hi CRI Warm White CREE XML P60 style replacement modules.

These are S6 flux 7A2 tint 3200k 90 cri emitters, S6 flux is the highest flux available in 90CRI. As with all XML emitters they have pretty good throw with a adequate amount of spill.

As with most warm white emitters these look much like a incan and the color rendition is great. At S6 flux it is the highest lumen Hi CRI single emitter I know of and only about 20 lumens less than a T2 flux. At 500+ lumens it is more than twice as strong as a 90+ CRI XPG.

thanks…

They are SW45 bin, so somewhere around 4500K.

Incan in a flashlight? Not really efficient. And the great thing about the Nichia is that it is very close to sunlight. The high-CRI XMLs are very orange, just like incans. Great if you like warm white.. but not everybody does.

I’ll wait for a Cree version now… the Nichias dedome on you if you breathe on them. Ruined 2 out of 4. I gave them up. With my poor night vision, they just don’t have the lumens.