Why the U.S. doesn't use the metric system

Right, US units need a fix.
I moved 19 years ago from Europe to US and still don’t get many of them.

Football field being a unit of length and surface. Often things are described as x football fields long, or x football fields area.

Lumber, for example 2x4 (two-by-four supposedly inches) is 1.5 in x 3.5 in, 2x10 is 1.5 in x 9.25 in. Even the same with some shelves, you but 12 in wide shelf only to find out it is actually 11.5. Take a measuring tape every time you want to buy something, sigh…

I like that

Well, here they just put less and less into the same-sized container and call it a day.

Cans of ground coffee used to always be 16oz, packed tightly. Open the can, try to get the included plastic scoop, and you’ll never be able to put the lid back on unless you use 2 scoops or more.

Then, they went to 14oz coffee in a 16oz can. Open it, and it’s packed loosely so that you could take out the scoop (currently no longer included) and replace the lid… easily.

Then, only 13oz in a can.

Then, only 12oz in a can.

Then 11oz.

Now, you could find as little as 10¾oz. (Maybe less, as I haven’t looked that closely anymore, for fear of being made ill.)

Soon, they’ll be shipping empty cans that just smell like coffee when you open them.

Yogurt? 8oz was the standard-sized container. Then some genius (not being snarky) thought up “whips”, ie, froth up the yogurt so that you can stick only 6oz by weight into the same 8oz cup.

Soon, 6oz became the new “standard” cup.

And now, only 4oz! Damn, that’s great for dieters. Have “a cup of yogurt” and only eat half of what you used to eat.

Paper towels? Used to be, you couldn’t even stick a regular roll into a wall-hanging rack, not ’til you used maybe half the roll. Now, that half-gone size is the norm, and anything with more paper on it is called a “bonus roll” or similar.

Oh, I could go on, and on, and on, about the built-in “portion control” they’re imposing on what used to be standard size containers. No need to sell 10oz of coffee in a nominal “1lb can” or any such trickery, they just shrink the contents and have the weight right there in microprint.

That has nothing to do with the system of measurement. That has all to do with Greed. Greed is pretty much universal though perhaps more noticeable when large corporations are running the show. It does pay to be able to read and do math.

and NASA lost at least 2 times a space crafts because of wrong translation to metric unit system when calculation course

@Tally-ho. Nice picture. I have been raised a science-type all my life. Math, chem, physics.
And yet, as I am lookin at your (clarifying) picture, I get the strange urge to say.

US: 1 mile = 8 furlongs = 80 chains = 1,760 yard = 5,280 feet = 63,360 inch. That is adventure.
SI: 1 km = 1,000 m = 1,000,000 mm = 1,000,000,000 µm. Admitting it is much easier, but also a bit boring.

Old habits die hard, there are still Dutch (wo)men who use “pond” and “ons” (0,500 kilo resp. 0,100 kilo).

Yep

Reminds me of the “Gimli Glider” situation; Air Canada, 1983 :slight_smile: Right near where I was living at the time.

Effectively, yes. Michelin introduced a new tire/wheel system with a bead design to better cope with the advent of lower profile tires in the 70s, with the TRX tires and TR rims that had metric diameters (i.e. 190/65-390). It was utilized by a handful of OEMs, mostly for sports cars, but nothing beyond that, and it fizzled out.

The first number, 225, is not tread width, but section width, representing the widest section of the tire from the outer to inner sidewall, when mounted on the standard specified width wheel (“Measuring Rim Width”) for that particular tire size.

Tread width is not a standardized dimension so it shouldn’t be considered comparable between different manufacturers.

Mmmm, yes’n’no.

2L bottles of sody-pop were accepted because they were similar in size to typische half-gallon bottles, ’though milk still comes in half-gallon jugs.

Were 2L less than ½gal, it probably wouldn’t’ve been accepted as well. After all, now you’re “getting more!”.

Yards to meters, okay. Feet to meters, divide by ~3? Not so much.

I remember the “5/8ths rule” to go from miles to kilometers and back (guesstimate as roughly half/double), but I have no clue what’s the constant to go from mpg to km/L. And L vs gal at the gas-pump? Might as well people to convert from dollars to quatloos.

So yeah, there’s some greed to it, but it’s what units you ultimately can “think in”.

I always hated am/pm, ferinstance, so ages ago started going to 24hr time, setting all my watches/clocks to 24hr time, etc., and now I can “think in” 24hr time. Until that happened, I always had to add/subtract 12 as needed.

Going imperial ⇆ metric? People ain’t gonna wanna do it, not without being clubbed over the head with a metric bat.

@Lightbringer, did retailers actually try to make a pound 400g rather than 450g?

How did they think that was going to fly?

It’s not like the situation with a 1/2 lb burger and 1/4 lb burger fiasco at Burger King and Macdonalds where people are just bad at math.

Yep, did that in the flightsim just to see how I’d fare. (Actually landed w/o crashing!)

No 767 in my stable, so had to do it in the 737 or 777 (I think the latter).

Yeh, but I couldn’t think of the term offhand. :smiley:

I found that out trying to figure what’s the widest tire I could stuff onto a particular rim. Tire Rack or someone similar had those online calculators for max/min width, etc.

Wow, was not aware of that piece of information.
What I do know is that a few decades ago I owned a feisty little car that sat on 165/65 R 340 TRX tires.

A big pothole in the streets of Rotterdam caused a ding in one of the mag wheels and turned it into a liability.
That’s why I use it up until this day as a spool for my garden hose.

Me? Unno, think TomTom posted that.

Wouldn’t surprise me, though, selling someone short, under the guise of “making it easier” for the dumb-as-a-post customer.

Oh yeh, what about the burgers? Is this the asterisked microprint “before cooking” dealy?

I was reminded of the actual 11” Subway “footlong” hero that people sued ’em over.

Bad enough, though. Used to be on a footlong you’d get 8 meatballs, or 4- or 8 slices of meat, but now I started counting only 7 meatballs, and only 3- or 6 slices of meat. Wtf??

@Lightbringer, what happened is that Burger King was selling 1/2 pound burgers, and MD 1/4 pound burgers, for the same price.

Guess which outsold which? MacDonald’s.

Why because? Because a large number of customers actually thought that the 1/4 pound burgers were actually bigger than 1/2 pound burgers.

If you can get used to a clock that has a 24-hour face you can change from US Imperial to metric, IMO. It may take a generation or two to complete the switch, but change can happen. I grew up in Canada using the Canadian/British Imperial system. Traveling to the US early in life I got used to having to account for the difference in the size between the volume measurements (smaller US gallon, quart, etc.) but the same linear and weight measurements.

In Canada, I used metric measurements in some aspects of my employment before Canada went metric. Then after Canada began the switch to metric I moved to the US where everything was in US Imperial. I adapted. I have traveled in the EU a fair amount. After a while, you can get to use and relate to whatever the local system of measurement is without having to think or convert between systems. Much like if/when you are fluently bilingual you can converse in English, French, Spanish, whatever, without actually having to consciously translate from one language to another.

It’s actually easier to speak various different languages fluently without trying to convert them in your head. I’m sure it’s the same with measurement systems.

Qu’est-ce que tu veux dire par là?

Ok, you’re right…