XML and XML2 de-dome color temperature changes

thanks for the first actual quantitative measurement of colour temperature change upon dedoming that I have ever heard of

Thanx for the shots. What was the domed tint and de-domed tint here?

So you went from 3C to something in the area of 7B. Thats a huge change.

Domed 4820K went to de-domed 3068K

So what do you think if I used a XM-L2 1C 6000k, de-domed would it end up around 4500k? Looking to do the same mod with the Defiant.
http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1880
Thanks for the great technical info Texaspyro, very useful information.

I dunno… one way to find out…

Wow, I did not think that photo was the 3C before and after de-dome :open_mouth:
The before dedome looks almost bluish, more like a 1A/1C. Must be the auto balance of the camera, or did you take the photo with fixed daylight white balance?

Are you implying that you may test it. :bigsmile:

1C is can be anywhere from 6100K to 6500K, not 6000K.

Those garage doors are a medium grey color, the pillar between them is a very light tan color. Camera settings were whatever it wants…

I don’t have a 6000K XML2 to try. I have a 6300K XML taking a bath right now…

That can’t be right because cnqualitygoods has I listed as 6000k to 6500k. :open_mouth: Lol
I was just speaking in general, but you are correct with a 1C tint.

Great! Looking forward to the results. Thanx for going through all the effort!

Much appreciated texaspyro, I’ll be looking forward for the results.
Thanks again! :wink:

it appears the de-dome turned out great. 3000k is pretty pleasant, IMO, if it closely mimics hotwire 3000k (kind of hard to discern that from a picture).

While we’re talking about CCT, can anyone confirm if the XM-L2 inherited the XM-L’s prodigious tint/CCT gradient across the dome? Post 8 of this thread on CPF shares some great info on this quirk. Did the XM-L2 improve upon its predecessor in this respect at all? It is the one annoying characteristic of the XM-L (predominantly in NW/WW tints) for me…

Photo courtesy of CPF user Mike S

Any update on the dedomed LED’s Kelvin? :slight_smile:

I buggered up the LED on the de-dome… it was the only 6000K one that I had. :_(

Im sorry to hear that…
Im thinking about testing a gasoline de-dome… I though it was quite safe and easy. (Based on what I have read.) What went wrong?

The dome crumbled instead of coming off in one piece. I was cleaning off the bits left behind and the bond wires broke…

RIP! All in the name of science. :bigsmile:
Thanks for trying Texaspyro. :wink:
I did de-dome the XML in the 3C defiant that’s in it stock, what ever bin it was. I did notice a much tighter hot spot in the center with another bright spot around the hot spot that was about the size of the original hotspot. The spill seemed to be about the same color before de-dome but the center hot spot did shift towards a more yellow tint. Not that noticeable shinny against tree’s a distances but on a white wall I can see the color shift clearly in the hot spot while the spill seems to be the same tint it was factory.