XT-E's on the market

CNQualityGoods now have XT-E LEDs in stock and only for $3.50!!! Ordered a couple, along with an XPG/XPE Empty P60 drop-in. these reflectors CQG sell give the best beam I’ve seen for XPG/Es. I just ordered SMO for better throw this time.

I also have a CW XB-D (on 10mm board) on the way from cutter, shipped yesterday so with a little luck it will be here Friday. I will see what the tint is like once it gets here and post it up here.

I ordered yesterday 3 of the CNQG ones on 11.5mm star, I didn't think where to place them yet, but wanted to play with them hehe.

I have just been having a good look at the datasheet for both the XP-G and the XT-E and (on paper and ignoring temp.) the XP-G looks like it is still the top dog of the 3.45mm^2 dies however this is temp. dependent.

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20Modules/XLamp/Data%20and%20Binning/XLampXPG.pdf

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20Modules/XLamp/Data%20and%20Binning/XLampXTE.pdf

Both LEDs in the R5 bin have an output of 139-148 lumen at 350mA with the XP-G reaching around 300% of that at bang on 1300mA. The XT-E does it at ~1350mA.

Beam angle is hard to tell as the XP-G has a more rounded output and the XT-E more linear however if I had to guess I would say the XT-E could have a 20% advantage, I doubt that means even 10% more throw though.

Both have the same gradient on the end of the current vs flux graph but it looks like the XT-E just beats the XP-G to the 50% mark (1/2 of 139-148 lumen). So the XT-E is more efficient at very low currents.

XP-G wins by a fair margin when it comes to forward voltage at 1.5A (XP-G: ~3.28V vs XT-E ~3.38V (+/- 0.02V).

Of coarse all this data is for the XP-G at almost room temp. vs the XT-E at 85 degrees C so its a bit like comparing apples and oranges, however from the flux vs temp. graph the XT-E gains almost 10% if at the same temp. as the XP-G and the XP-G loses ~15% if at 85 degrees C.

My conclusion: We will just have to wait and see how they perform in real life.

The XP-G has an S3 (or is it S2?) bin so still manages to hold 1st place of the two... until/if Cree decide to release the XT-E in a higher bin.

You can compare XT-E with XP-G with my spreadsheet here.

I have an older UK Q-Light host. It has no switch but a plastic tailpiece with an o-ring. You screw in/out to make/break. The whole light is made of plastic so it will have some copper added to spread the therms. I'm going to try it out with a linear regulator and maybe a dropping resistor. 2x18500 - 2p and wire the leds 2p x 2 (see old lumens "much sought after" thread.

Or maybe its downloads multilux thread on cpf. I get so confused

My KD 3-mode XT-E drop-in finally shipped today.

I think the theory was that this would be a big boost to keychain flashlights. This could theoretically allow a normal AAA light to hit 300 lumens, due to greater efficiency and less heat generation since more of the power is going into light and less into heat.

http://www.cree.com/led-components-and-modules/landing-pages/accelerate

New parts did not arrive in time so I ended up with powering the 25 mm quad xte with 2 - 8 x 7135 drivers in the techjunkie/old lumens fashion 4p from a single 26650. Yesterday one half of a torn, empty envelope was delivered one month after the order date. Phooey, nuts, etc. Dx cs here I come.

Almost forgot about this thread/, my circuit boards arrived yesterday and I have begun trying to piggy back more 7135s onto them (for a triple XP-E red and triple XT-E)

I mentioned above that I would do a quick comparison of tints and whatnot once I got everything together (a XML U2 1D, triple XT-E and single XB-D) is anyone still interested in me doing so?

From what I can see so far (without comparing them all side by side) is that the XB-D is cool white around 7000k and has a yellow margin at the extreme edge of the beam (when without a reflector). With a reflector (the only one I had on hand was a DX 73mm one) the beam was very ringy with slight yellow splotches in it. Optics were even worse.