Zooming Model List (2018 Updated) Tell us about your newest zoomie!

Yeah, looks pretty badass. Like.

You could go all the way (Brinyte B158 mod):

I used heater spray paint here (covered the led itself while painting) because it is matt, so it even shows less reflection than a black marker. The area around the led and part of the led itself was done with a marker.

Here is a Zoomie host I picked up from Kaidomain(still in transit). 20mm led and 20mm driver. Solid pill, glass lens.

I will be dropping in a Xhp50 to see how it does.

I have similar if not same(flashlight brand randar) … Don’t expect lux performance but as a zoomie it is very nice one.

djozz, how did you cover led ? Tape? and spray paint so clean? Thanks.

Palight MS600 url is broken, though the light is still available f.e. on BG.

There was a discussion on AAA zoomies in this thread lately.
It missed one important family of lights. Led Lensers.

For those unfamiliar with their AAA lineup, there are:

• P2, small aspheric zoomie
  • P3, with larger head. Very large for AAA zoomie
  • P3 AFS, with TIR lens
  • P3 AFS-P, serious powerhouse doing 75 lm
  • P3R, 10440 variant with 140 lm, even longer than the others at 102 mm
  • M3R, another power increase, 220 lm, not sure what else is different

There are several variants of them as well.

There is some discussion on P3 AFS-P here. This includes Firelight2 modding his light with XP-G2.

I’m almost with love with P3 AFS. I’d love to have some Led Lenser TIR zoomie and at AAA size it is a real cutie. It is expensive for AAA light, but not for a Led Lenser (I see it for $27 locally). But stock it has very low output of low-CRI light. And a plastic pill. :person_facepalming: It would be an incredibly good light with a copper pill, good LED and a BLF driver…
I’m sure some would love it with White Flat…

I’m surprised that nobody mentioned the following AAA zoomie:
Maglite Solitaire.

It’s unusual because it features a reflector instead of a lens. :slight_smile:

ADDED:
There’s also a TIR-lensed Coast HP2. Very long at 102 mm, but only 14 mm in diameter. Seems to by by far the smallest diameter TIR zoomie. Unlike Led Lensers it has a twisty zoom.

On The Road i3 - 2018/2019 version
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/

BTW, Led Lenser has just released some more lights, one of them with 90CRI :wink:

UPDATE: THIS LIGHT IS JUNK. THE HEAD FEELS LIKE A SOUP CAN, I COULD SMASH IT IN MY HAND. THE LENS IS PLASTIC. AND THE HEAD WOBBLES VERY BAD.

JUST A WARNING, DO NOT BUY.

I also ordered their 26650 “Fishing light Host” version, hopefully it’s not as cheap.

^ I have bought that host also. I agree that the machining and finish are among the cheapest around. But the way it is build is pretty ok, without much trouble with standard components you can build a fairly decent zoomie with it. A plastic lens is pretty standard in this size and usually has good performance.

By looking at that pic I can say that I have same model (it was called randar flashlight when I ordered it).

Head pull focusing system similar but I woulds say even better than Sofirn SF30A which feels bit flimsy probably because they have put inappropriate and thinner oring, and tends to go to overfocus slightly.

Material and anodizing good I don’t have any problem with that. I am pretty sure I could break through glass like butter with that zoomie and that nothing would happen cause plastic acrylic lenses are better and more durable than same size glass lens we usually have in lights.

Switch of randar light is terrible no name switch, and it is not even soldered. Uses those long traces…

But if I would have to choose winner that would be Sofirn SF30A. It is better and complete light(if one don’t wanna modd it) for just 9$ i think. It has h-m-l without memory driver if someone like that mode order (like myself of course, that is only mod set I want in any light).

There was more talk about AAA zoomies recently, so I post it here for cross-reference:
Lidl AAA zoomie
Skywolfeye E522
More on Skywolfey E522

Hey guys, I forgot to mention? How about Coast Brand zoomies? I picked up the Coast HP450 on a whim. Due to being 1400 lumens ( who knows? )running 6 AA batteries for $25. Will use for a week to see if worth it? Bought at Home Depot holiday time. Just never really got to use it.

I should be getting those Thorfire zoomies tomorrow. Ummm, AA/14500? Forgot…

Maybe no formal review, but I’ll give first impressions when I get ’em.

I’ve been carrying a Coast HX5 1AA for about a year and a half and use it multiple times daily. It’s my most used light.

Technically it’s not what most CPF members would consider a “zoomie”, since it focuses to a bulls-eye spot, rather than the shape of the LED die.

I also have a Polysteel 3AAA/rechargeable and 6AA models that have the same type beams.
I’m pleased with them all.

Are they indestructible like the package claims? I did not want to test on mine because just in case I need to return it. Damage and HD might not take it back. I kept all receipts just in case. Again, these were bought prior to me making decisions to stay away from zoomies period.

I got one of these soda-can size zoomie “fishing” lights from AliExpress with the intention of modding with a better LED. Built OK for $20, but surprised it came with three 18650 batteries! Looks like a fake SST-90 LED inside, charging it up to see what it does.

I doubt that any light is indestructible. I try not to abuse my lights. I haven’t had any issues with any of the three mentioned above.

My 2AAA HP3 became unreliable.

I just ordered a couple of Sofirn SF30 zoomies. Because of the Chinese new year I’ll probably have forgotten I ordered them by the time they show up though.