Zooming Model List (2018 Updated) Tell us about your newest zoomie!

I changed my mind. I want to go with the jaxman z1 xhp50 ( 2x 26650)… item is not available… i send message to bo ( jaxman). So i will update when i get replied from him.

I got the replied back… its chinese new year, so not until feb 25th… i guess i have to wait…

At least you got a quick reply!

Just curious what made you decide on the 2x26650 XHP50 instead of the XHP50.2?

I messaged Jax to get an answer on this.

Ok. Let us know. Well i want to have longer runtime, so i choose to go with the Xhp50.

My another question.

Is all the z1 use the same aspheric lense???

Z1 xml and xhp50 description say 100% original design.
Z1 xhp50.2 doesnt mention anything about the lense.

OK I was thinking maybe you wanted Neutral tint.

And also, I don’t see why they can’t offer the XHP50.2 with 2x26650? As far as I know it runs on the same voltage as XHP50

I’m guessing it would be the same, lots of inconsistencies on their listings.

If you don’t mind would you please post a quick rundown of your mods on these?

I read it uses a 16mm mcpcb and driver shelf is 20mm?

Also, I’m wondering what would be involved to put an MT-G2 in one. (running at 3A)

https://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-mtg16-mcpcb-cree-mtg2-q0-5000k-6v-led-p-826.html?zenid=470f92075135cb86ba2577ae7070c4a0
http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S026606.H1-A-20mm-3A-1-cell-5-Mode-Boost-Driver-Circuit-Board-for-Cree-XHP50-6V-MT-G2-MK-R2

But I’m thinking a larger host with 26650 might be better for that idea (see next post)

What’s the sliding distance of the un-branded favorite one you linked? I couldn’t find that on the FT listing.

And you mentioned the Warsun, but I didn’t see the sliding travel on that one either on Banggood?
Various brands of (what appear to be) that same host are popular on Aliexpress, although dimensions (if accurate) can vary.

Here’s a few of those (clones) like the Warsun I found that show their travel length:
(photos are links)

2.6cm travel (50mm head):

3.0cm travel (55mm head):

Also besides the Warsun what was the other one you spotted that might be able to compete with your favorite?

Was it this one?:

2.9cm travel (45mm head)

The middle one has the longest travel and the largest head. It also lists having an “Optical glass lens” (But it also lists 8000lm :person_facepalming: )
(Warsun and the others don’t say if the lens is glass or plastic)

I like the Supfire but the head is smaller, so if the reflector is smaller than the Warsun it means less wide spill?

30cm!

OK I found a different brand of the “Favorite” that shows the travel distance, also it’s an upgraded version with XP-L V6 LED instead of XM-L.

It ’s travel is 2.1cm:

Since it has the upgraded emitter this might be better for the list for non-modders, it appears the same host, but I’ll await to hear from you the travel of the unbranded fasttech ones before I add it on the list as wide flood.

Oops forgot the decimal point, (fixed) good catch, thanks!

Warsun X65

In addition to the Warsun X50 that’s on my list, there’s the Warsun X65 of the same style, that’s been around a few years, apparently even before I created the thread (I didn’t realize until now). Apparently some of these X65 have (or had) a threaded tripod mount. The Warsun X50 on my list and the others I linked above are not showing a mount. It’s not really clear to me the difference between them, or which came first, X50 or X65.

EDIT: In the thread I linked below, post #110 shows an X50/X65 comparison: Warsun Zoomie X65. Bro of UF1405? - #110 by Lopan
Although I believe the X65 now comes with XM-L2

Gearbest lists the X65 (“Arrival Notice” Dispatch: Mar 5 - Mar 9): https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_189805.html?wid=21

Banggood also lists the X65 (“under restocking” Expected on March 23, 2018): Warsun-X65-XM-L-T6-3Modes-1200LM-Zoomable-Flashlight-

The X50 I linked in the list is currently available at Banggood.
None of the stock photos in the gearbest or banggood listings show a threaded mount.

There’s a review from Dec. 2017 in Bangood that says the lens is plastic, and the photos posted in that review clearly show no tripod mount. However an earlier video review on Banggood (from 2016) does show a light with the clip and mount.

Here’s an old thread on it from a few years back: Warsun Zoomie X65. Bro of UF1405?

The X65 is currently available on Aliexpress and ebay. On ebay there is also a clone (COMUNITE S31)
All of those listings show the tripod mount w/clip (ebay links below the photos)

According to photos in an Aliexpress listing, these have a zoom travel length of 25mm or 2.5cm (I converted from inches)
The ebay listings for X65 and the clone all show 30mm (3cm) travel.

(Photos linked to the aliexpress listing)

Warsun X65 (GS series) listed on ebay shows 30mm / 3cm travel.
The COMUNITE S31 (clone on ebay) also shows 30mm / 3cm travel.

• Both show tripod mount / clip.
  • Both show US stock.

Warsun-X65-5000LM-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Zoomable-Tactical-26650

I found 3 listings on ebay for the COMUNITE S31, they appear to be the same seller with different names, and also the same seller of the Warsun X65 linked above (all 4 show item location: Chattanooga, Tennessee, 37416, United States)

COMUNITE-S31-3000LM-CREE-XM-L-U2-LED-Zoomable-Tactical-26650-1

COMUNITE-3000LM-CREE-XM-L2-U2-LED-Zoomable-Tactical-26650-2

COMUNITE-3000LM-CREE-XM-L2-U2-LED-Zoomable-Tactical-26650-3

Note:

• The Warsun-X65 lists an XM-L T6
  • COMUNITE S31 lists an XM-L2 U2
  • On Gearbest in the Q/A section of the X65 listing, Gearbest replied it is the XM-L2 version.
  • The X50 I linked in the currently available at Banggood is showing XM-L2 .

I do like these tripod mount version with clip, but I guess it’s questionable if it actually has it.

Is there a consensus on a good light that can be easily modded to become a very good zoomie? Too many options in this post!

I think the answer to that depends on a few things:

• Your budget
  • If you’re use leans more towards flood or more towards throw (I’m beginning to find out they’re may not be a “one trick pony”)
  • Physical size of the light
  • Need for 26650 cells for higher capacity
  • Need for special features such as: Side switch, gun mountable, USB charging, Biscotti firmware, etc.

The list wasn’t intended to narrow down in making the decision for the specific needs of one user, but only to show what’s currently available. It is extensive because there is a broad range of available sizes, prices, features etc. Discussion here hopefully is what will help to make that decision, so you’re on the right track by asking.

In my research on BLF so far there is one that does stand out, the Jaxman Z1, I’m pretty sure (not 100%) it is the highest quality zoomie of it’s size on the list. Modding may not even be necessary. If it meets your budget and size requirements it certainly is worth looking into. What I’ve learned from reading posts here on the Z1 is the quality of the optics and zooming threads are unmatched in most other zooming lights.

There may be others that can be modded to perform better in either throw or flood. Some use the aspherics lens of the zoomie to make a super thrower, using XRE/XPE or other emitters, but then output and flood will suffer compared to using XML/XPL/XHP emitters, which may not have as much throw. So it depends what you’re after.

For myself I’m trying to find a model that will perform well in both flood and throw with an emphasis on flood. I think the Jaxman is a good place to start, so far a Z1 with XHP50 is at the top of my list. For a smaller less expensive model I’m looking at the Wowtac A3S.

Modding budget models and others for me will be just for fun and experimentation.

I will order my jaxman z1 xhp50 after chinese new year which is feb 25. They should have more stock by them…

Have you guy check out a wowtac a3?? Look like this light is easy to mod, swapping a new led and new driver…

Yes as I just said at the end of my post above I’m looking at getting the newer upgraded version (A3S) It already has XPL-HI emitter. Also reported to have better zooming slider.

Only we have yet to learn why the A3S is no longer listed for sale currently. I sent inquiry to wowtac but haven’t heard back yet, but as you said the Chinese holiday has started so it may be a while before we find out.

Check this thread: Wowtac A3S - Anyone see it yet?

XHP50 zooming light with 3.0cm travel

53mm head / 5000-5900K / 2-mode low-High

Low price - currently $23.88 w/shipping

(click on photo for link - Aliexpress)

(added)

I like the XHP50 in MTN-1504 and the Jaxman Z1. Does anyone have experience with either of these two?
I have a couple of T6 $7.00 Amazon zoomers and for what they are they are neat and useable at short distances. The kids love them.
Also are there any XHP70 zoomies?

The monster flood with these lights is the most appealing part.

How about this one guys? I picked up a pair. The only reason is there was coupon making $10 each.

https://www.harborfreight.com/588-lumen-tactical-flashlight-63934.html!

I love HFT!

…At least you didn’t pay more than $10 :
https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_956144.html

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10038821/8426800-1-led-5-mode-1000lm-led-flashlight-w-focus-zoom

And here: Only $3.90 shipped!

I guess you have to watch the video :stuck_out_tongue: >>> LumiTact G700 "TOUGHEST FLASHLIGHT ON THE MARKET"