【New Product】XTAR VC4L Charger

34 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

xtarflashlight
xtarflashlight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 01/21/2013 - 21:25
Posts: 164
Location: Shenzhen
【New Product】XTAR VC4L Charger

Glad to share XTAR released new VC4L charger!

VC4L charger is the upgrade version of VC4. Comparing with VC4, the new VC4L has the popular type-C input port. And it’s compatible with protected 21700 batteries, can charge four 21700 batteries at once.

There is our official buying channel at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/18650-Charger-XTAR-Battery-Updated/dp/B08R88TMZ8


Edited by: xtarflashlight on 01/30/2021 - 05:30
TheAuditor
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 12/04/2017 - 06:33
Posts: 646
Location: United Kingdom

Nice!

Bonum commune communitatis.

Yarp.

Artiet59
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 1717
Location: CT, USA

Awesome. Really good price too! Nice work as always Xtar!

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

slmjim
slmjim's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 02/04/2018 - 17:49
Posts: 398
Location: Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger

Does it have a 3.7v 'STORE' mode like the VC8?

 

slmjim

Great... Carnac the Magnificent tells me I just signed up for yet another expensive hobby.

Smile! It makes others wonder what you've been up to.

Jabe1
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 08/17/2015 - 23:45
Posts: 77
Location: Ohio

No discharge function?

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 2 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 1005

Not to sound rude but why didn’t you design it correctly the first time. So now everyone that bought the vc4 is expected to run out and buy a vc4l?

This is why miboxer chargers are the absolute best. They are designed correctly from the beginning. I can charge 4 × 26650’s in my miboxer and they don’t advertise that as a feature either.

XTAR, you should have a trade in program.

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 3962

There’s one review on amazon claiming it doesn’t work with other USB-C cables other than the included one…

Xtar can you explain a bit more on that matter? Does it support any sort of fast charge or just 5V 2.1A? Does it work with USB-C to USB-C cables?

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2359
Location: Manila, Philippines
Jabe1 wrote:
No discharge function?

Just my guess…

Based on just the infos above, I think the VC4L is just meant to update the earlier VC4 model in 2 aspects: – a more modern USB input port (from the uncommon USB-to-DC cable to the more ubiquitous USB-type-C port) – make slots longer

Based on specs, it appears everything else stays the same, even the charging current (outer slots can charge up to 1A, while inner slots charge only up to 0.5A), and the total charge current are limited also based on the USB power source and the number of battery slots being charged..

I don’t think it’s meant to supplant the VC4S which is the more advanced model (I do wish they make the VC4S have a manual charging current selection, due to the issue where it can charge too fast (high current) for low-resistance but small-capacity batteries like new AAA batteries charging at too high current on the VC4S).

Serlite
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2018 - 16:14
Posts: 436

zoulas wrote:
Not to sound rude but why didn’t you design it correctly the first time. So now everyone that bought the vc4 is expected to run out and buy a vc4l?

This is why miboxer chargers are the absolute best. They are designed correctly from the beginning. I can charge 4 × 26650’s in my miboxer and they don’t advertise that as a feature either.

XTAR, you should have a trade in program.

I’m not certain it’s fair to say they designed the VC4 “incorrectly” – as far as I can tell, it was released in early 2015.
For comparison, the USB-C specification was only finalized in August 2014, and 21700 cells began to see adoption in 2017.

So I’d actually say it had a perfectly reasonable design, considering what technologies were mature (or even in existence) at the time of its release.

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 9 hours ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3424
Location: Houston, TX

Hooked my dad up with one of these…truly a step up!

grasl
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 03/23/2020 - 12:25
Posts: 3

1A max charge current? Looks like a bad joke for 5000mAh@21700 batteries, 5+ hours of charging! USB-C with no support for QC or PD – is it really 2021 now?

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 2 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 1005

Serlite wrote:
zoulas wrote:
Not to sound rude but why didn’t you design it correctly the first time. So now everyone that bought the vc4 is expected to run out and buy a vc4l?

This is why miboxer chargers are the absolute best. They are designed correctly from the beginning. I can charge 4 × 26650’s in my miboxer and they don’t advertise that as a feature either.

XTAR, you should have a trade in program.

I’m not certain it’s fair to say they designed the VC4 “incorrectly” – as far as I can tell, it was released in early 2015.
For comparison, the USB-C specification was only finalized in August 2014, and 21700 cells began to see adoption in 2017.

So I’d actually say it had a perfectly reasonable design, considering what technologies were mature (or even in existence) at the time of its release.

Oh ok, I thought 21700 existed in 2015.

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 1078
Location: usa

will34 wrote:
There’s one review on amazon claiming it doesn’t work with other USB-C cables other than the included one…

Xtar can you explain a bit more on that matter? Does it support any sort of fast charge or just 5V 2.1A? Does it work with USB-C to USB-C cables?

I tried my vc8 with a generic usb c cable, and their ac adapter, it works but it would not charge at 1,2,3A currents, it was under 400ma, once i plugged their wire got 3A.

MixedWithFruit
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 days ago
Joined: 03/24/2019 - 13:56
Posts: 6

alpg88 wrote:
will34 wrote:
There’s one review on amazon claiming it doesn’t work with other USB-C cables other than the included one…

Xtar can you explain a bit more on that matter? Does it support any sort of fast charge or just 5V 2.1A? Does it work with USB-C to USB-C cables?

I tried my vc8 with a generic usb c cable, and their ac adapter, it works but it would not charge at 1,2,3A currents, it was under 400ma, once i plugged their wire got 3A.

That is so dumb, they clearly can make a properly functional usb PD charger because the PB2s exists. If they could scale up the PB2s to 4 bay and add ni-mh support (even if the powerbank function was disabled) then I’d be buying one.

adam7027
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 09/26/2017 - 13:54
Posts: 661
Location: EU (Hu)

Make a 30W AC adaptor (and support USB PD), and make it to support 1.5A charging on all bays simultaneously (probably this would need a bit more advanced cooling mechanism to be implemented), then it will be a much more up to date design.

People nowadays are a bit less patient Crazy

xtarflashlight
xtarflashlight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 01/21/2013 - 21:25
Posts: 164
Location: Shenzhen

will34 wrote:
There’s one review on amazon claiming it doesn’t work with other USB-C cables other than the included one…

Xtar can you explain a bit more on that matter? Does it support any sort of fast charge or just 5V 2.1A? Does it work with USB-C to USB-C cables?

This VC4L charger supports USB-A to USB-C and also USB-C to USB-C cables. If your phone charging cord with Type C, can also be compatible.

xtarflashlight
xtarflashlight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 01/21/2013 - 21:25
Posts: 164
Location: Shenzhen
Artiet59 wrote:
Awesome. Really good price too! Nice work as always Xtar!

Thanks! Beer

xtarflashlight
xtarflashlight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 01/21/2013 - 21:25
Posts: 164
Location: Shenzhen
d_t_a wrote:
Jabe1 wrote:
No discharge function?

Just my guess…

Based on just the infos above, I think the VC4L is just meant to update the earlier VC4 model in 2 aspects: – a more modern USB input port (from the uncommon USB-to-DC cable to the more ubiquitous USB-type-C port) – make slots longer

Based on specs, it appears everything else stays the same, even the charging current (outer slots can charge up to 1A, while inner slots charge only up to 0.5A), and the total charge current are limited also based on the USB power source and the number of battery slots being charged..

I don’t think it’s meant to supplant the VC4S which is the more advanced model (I do wish they make the VC4S have a manual charging current selection, due to the issue where it can charge too fast (high current) for low-resistance but small-capacity batteries like new AAA batteries charging at too high current on the VC4S).

Thanks for your kind suggestions for the VC4S charger, we will feedback to engineers! Thumbs Up

MixedWithFruit
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 days ago
Joined: 03/24/2019 - 13:56
Posts: 6

Just got my vc4L and it does not charge with a C to C cable. A to C works fine.

Will be returning it though because I wanted the c to c charging

xtarflashlight
xtarflashlight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 01/21/2013 - 21:25
Posts: 164
Location: Shenzhen

MixedWithFruit wrote:
Just got my vc4L and it does not charge with a C to C cable. A to C works fine.

Will be returning it though because I wanted the c to c charging

Hi, the VC4L can also charge with C to C cable, pls check the pic below.
Both USB-A to USB-C and USB-C to USB-C cables are fine. May I know what kind of cable you use?

netprince
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 51 min ago
Joined: 06/14/2012 - 13:48
Posts: 610
Location: Virginia

I bought one of these because I like the VC4. I’m charging some protected 21700 cells now. I like the new usbc plug too I wont have to worry about bringing an extra cable with me when I travel.

MixedWithFruit
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 days ago
Joined: 03/24/2019 - 13:56
Posts: 6

xtarflashlight wrote:
MixedWithFruit wrote:
Just got my vc4L and it does not charge with a C to C cable. A to C works fine.

Will be returning it though because I wanted the c to c charging

Hi, the VC4L can also charge with C to C cable, pls check the pic below.
Both USB-A to USB-C and USB-C to USB-C cables are fine. May I know what kind of cable you use?

Ok so I’ve tried various usb c to c cables I’ve got.

Didn’t work with any 100w rated cables I own, Anker, choetech and Spigen. I can link the exact cables if needed when I’m on the computer.

It works with the 60w rated cables I have, various ones from ugreen, Anker, choetech, spigen. The only 60w cable it didn’t work with was a usb IF certified cable from choetech

This one

So it does work with some cables but can’t seem to negotiate with a 100w rated cable so at the very least it would seem like the port hasn’t been implemented completely as it should still charge.

stephenk
stephenk's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 4 sec ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 05:09
Posts: 1567
Location: Australia

XTAR – can you please update your analyzing chargers to accept protected 21700.

xtarflashlight
xtarflashlight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 01/21/2013 - 21:25
Posts: 164
Location: Shenzhen

There are our chargers compatible with protected 21700:

X2 extended version: https://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-X2-Charger-(Extended-Version)-128.html
X4 extended version: https://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-X4-Charger-(Extended-Version)-129.html
VC8: https://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-VC8-Charger-125.html
VC4L: https://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-VC4L-Charger-156.html
FC2: https://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-FC2-Charger-164.html

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2359
Location: Manila, Philippines

xtarflashlight wrote:
There are our chargers compatible with protected 21700:

X2 extended version: https://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-X2-Charger-(Extended-Version)-128.html
X4 extended version: https://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-X4-Charger-(Extended-Version)-129.html
VC8: https://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-VC8-Charger-125.html
VC4L: https://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-VC4L-Charger-156.html
FC2: https://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-FC2-Charger-164.html

The Xtar SC1, SC2 and ST2 also accept protected 21700 batteries (but are not compatible with NiMh batteries).

The FC2 looks like the SC2, but now has user-selectable charge-current, and also supports NiMh in addition to Li-Ion, is that right?

NiOOH
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 05/02/2021 - 05:28
Posts: 19
Location: EU

Compatibility with protected 21700 looks nice, but with a max. charging current of only 1 A, it would take something like 6 hours to charge a fully depleted 5 Ah cell.
Nowadays, I consider 1 A unnecessarily slow even for most 18650 cells, and 2 A is the lowest charging current for 21700 in order to keep times on the charger reasonable.
Using the capabilities of QC and PD over USB-C, it would have been possible to design it with at least two slots capable of charging at 2A.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2359
Location: Manila, Philippines
NiOOH wrote:
Compatibility with protected 21700 looks nice, but with a max. charging current of only 1 A, it would take something like 6 hours to charge a fully depleted 5 Ah cell. Nowadays, I consider 1 A unnecessarily slow even for most 18650 cells, and 2 A is the lowest charging current for 21700 in order to keep times on the charger reasonable. Using the capabilities of QC and PD over USB-C, it would have been possible to design it with at least two slots capable of charging at 2A.

My guess is that having QC may make the charger more expensive?

The Xtar SC2 does use QuickCharge to allow 2 slots to charge at 2 Amps per slot.
while the Xtar ST2 requires USB-PD which allows 2 slots to charge at up to 4 Amps per slot.

I suppose the FC2 is supposed to be a more all-around entry-level but still versatile enough to handle both NiMh & Li-Ion battery types and also different charge currents.

LumenMax
LumenMax's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 08/21/2018 - 10:50
Posts: 352
Location: NY

NiOOH wrote:
Compatibility with protected 21700 looks nice, but with a max. charging current of only 1 A, it would take something like 6 hours to charge a fully depleted 5 Ah cell. Nowadays, I consider 1 A unnecessarily slow even for most 18650 cells, and 2 A is the lowest charging current for 21700 in order to keep times on the charger reasonable. Using the capabilities of QC and PD over USB-C, it would have been possible to design it with at least two slots capable of charging at 2A.

 

Question:
So it doesnt support 2A or 3A charging?

 
 
Answer:
It will charge 1 battery at 2A. the more slots that are fill will reduce the Amps it is charging at.
By Stan Ruley on January 27, 2021
NiOOH
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 05/02/2021 - 05:28
Posts: 19
Location: EU

Answer: Unfortunately, no.

CR888
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2021 - 08:31
Posts: 124
Location: Australia

I’m sorry I’m not a battery charger engineer & I can think of many shortfalls or reasons I wouldn’t buy this charger. It’s spec level is of past decades. 4x slots with 0.5A/0.5A/1A/1A is just way too weak and slow for the high capacity cells made currently today. It should be up to 3A per slot. If I wanted to charge several 21700 5000mAh cells on that charger I’d be better off using my flashlights on board charging that will charge @1.5A give or take. A good charger today should detect li-ion/NiMH/NiCd cells have selective/auto charging current, do cell sizes from 16340-32650 have an output QC3.0 & PD18w ports. Accept PD18w input. And have all the other features of a modern charger. With all the cell sizes and how far quick charge has come in the computer world offering 5V/0.5A charge rate is like going back 20 years. The only people who would buy it are the uninformed. I’m sorry but a charger with specs like this VC4L would be so frustrating to use compared to other modern offerings. You should consult the forum, many know much more than I but we could make a list of ‘must have’ features and other ‘possible’ features and you could easy have the best charger on the market. Many cell chargers sold today are not using current tech so it’s not just you guys. Get it right and you would sell them faster than you could stock them.

CR888

NiOOH
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 05/02/2021 - 05:28
Posts: 19
Location: EU

Apparently, the VC4L was designed to be a minor upgrade of a product from several years ago. They increased the slot size and added a more universal input connector, that’s it. It is obvious that it was designed to be a budget offering. IMO, it may appeal to some people on a tight budget, that do not mind very long charging times, or people that use smaller/lower capacity cells. I, personally wouldn’t use a charger with less than 2 A/slot capabilities nowadays, but I only use 5 Ah 21700 and 3Ah 18650 cells. For someone who uses cells with rated capacities up to 2-2.5 Ah, and doesn’t need to charge more than two at the time, it could be an option.
But I’ll have to agree, with its limited charging current capabilities, it is not the most useful 21700 charger out there.

Pages