Charging USB devices with 18650 batteries

35 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Matjazz
Matjazz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 06/20/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 194
Location: EU/Slovenia
Charging USB devices with 18650 batteries

I’m looking for a charger (power bank) that can charge a phone using 18650 batteries. I got this one that takes 2×18650 from Ebay:

The first one didn’t work and I couldn’t measure any voltage on the usb-out. The seller refunded me and I ordered another one from different seller. That one didn’t work either and the seller sent another one. Unfortunatelly it doesn’t work either. Leds around the switch indicate full batteries, led flashlight works and it charges batteries from usb-in. Has anyone any experience with these chargers?

What about other options? I’d prefer chargers with interchangeable 18650 batteries so I can use the batteries in phone charger or flashlight.

Now I see

Edited by: stoneboi on 08/17/2012 - 10:30
Ian2381
Ian2381's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 06/11/2011 - 00:50
Posts: 643
Location: Philippines

Been using the ML-102 charger and it works great and never failed me. Smile

Langcjl
Langcjl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 03/05/2011 - 05:36
Posts: 2162
Location: Wisconsin USA

Ian2381 wrote:
Been using the ML-102 charger and it works great and never failed me. Smile

!http://www.intl-outdoor.com/bmz_cache/e/ee43702326b131526aad65b7a5dfd60a...!


+1 I use this one every day in a harsh environment. High quality plastic, doesn’t have that cheap hollow feel to it. It can charge your USB devices and it can charge your batteries from a computer USB port. It even will charge 26650s. Simple and robust.
http://www.intl-outdoor.com/ml102-usb-charger-for-18650-26650-battery-p-...

Piers said " ....but who wants enough light, when you have the option for far too much "

ruffles
ruffles's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 10:18
Posts: 1020
Location: California

I’ve got something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-Mobile-Power-5V-USB-Battery-box-18650-Charger-Power-Box-usps-to-USA-/221063680202?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item33786c10ca

It works fine and can take between 1 and 4 batteries because its in parallel. (There are others out there that do 2s2p, so you’d probably have to put at least 2 batteries in them.) I don’t charge batteries with it, as I suspect it would have a fairly crude charging algorithm.

The pain is that is screws shut, so not easy to put new batteries in. There’s also a mystery switch that you need to hit every time you load new batteries to ‘reset’ it.

If I was to buy something in this category again, I’m pretty sure it’d be the ML-102, but wanted to mention mine in case you needed lots of residual power.


 

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 day ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3376
Location: New Hampshire

I have a half dozen of these they are great for charging your cell phone in an emergency and take most 18650s. They work awesome they have a battery gauge and the flashlight works OK also. They have 2 settings one standard .4 amp charge and another 1 amp charge for I-phones and tablets. For $10bucks it’s a good deal and they ship from the US so you have them in less than a week.

http://www.goldengadgets.com/2200mah-portable-usb-cellphone-charger-with...

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 days ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

ruffles wrote:
I’ve got something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-Mobile-Power-5V-USB-Battery-box-18650-Charger-Power-Box-usps-to-USA-/221063680202?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item33786c10ca

It works fine and can take between 1 and 4 batteries because its in parallel. (There are others out there that do 2s2p, so you’d probably have to put at least 2 batteries in them.) I don’t charge batteries with it, as I suspect it would have a fairly crude charging algorithm.

The pain is that is screws shut, so not easy to put new batteries in. There’s also a mystery switch that you need to hit every time you load new batteries to ‘reset’ it.

If I was to buy something in this category again, I’m pretty sure it’d be the ML-102, but wanted to mention mine in case you needed lots of residual power.

I’ve got also one of those, the 2A version, there are from 1A to 3A I believe.

neverfeltbetter
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 05/13/2011 - 20:58
Posts: 50

ruffles wrote:
I’ve got something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-Mobile-Power-5V-USB-Battery-box-18650-Charger-Power-Box-usps-to-USA-/221063680202?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item33786c10ca

…. I don’t charge batteries with it, as I suspect it would have a fairly crude charging algorithm.

Do you own exactly THAT box ?
I have the one you linked and mine terminated at exactly 4.2 volt at a current around 100mA if I remember correctly.
There’s a tp4056 IC inside. Maybe I was lucky.
The small ebay tp4056 boards I have tested in a different setup usually overcharge up to 4,27 V.

Do you use the what is supposed to be the 3,5mm output ?
Mine died instantly when I tried to connect a load.

The StepUp converter was able to deliver around 1400mAh from ONE Sanyo 2600 18650 at 1A.
Thats a lot of juice considering the price tag.

srfreddy
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 4 months ago
Joined: 02/16/2011 - 22:07
Posts: 411
Location: New England

E1320 wrote:
I have a half dozen of these they are great for charging your cell phone in an emergency and take most 18650s. They work awesome they have a battery gauge and the flashlight works OK also. They have 2 settings one standard .4 amp charge and another 1 amp charge for I-phones and tablets. For $10bucks it’s a good deal and they ship from the US so you have them in less than a week.

http://www.goldengadgets.com/2200mah-portable-usb-cellphone-charger-with...


I have that one, from DX, except I paid $22 for it. Oops! If you have one, do yours charge iDevices with the apple cable? The cable that came with the charger worked, but it broke, and apple cables don’t charge my iPod.
Ford Prefect
Ford Prefect's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 06/13/2011 - 08:07
Posts: 849
Location: Canada, eh!

I am looking for the same thing. I want it enclosed for throwing in my carry on, but the cells should be changeable.

Multiple USB ports would be nice as well

Sharpthangs
Sharpthangs's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 8 months ago
Joined: 03/21/2012 - 09:02
Posts: 132
Location: Dixie

Found this

4 IN 1 USB & SOLAR 18650 BATTERY CHARGER

On the official Ultrafire shop page looking at the UF-H6.

Looks like the unit that E1320 has with the addition of the solar panel and case.

If I had any faith that the solar panel worked, I would be out $29.00……

I contacted the shop, and they stated that the case was wired and that the unit would charge inside of the case, but I can’t see anything like that in the picture.

wshyang
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 10 months ago
Joined: 07/19/2012 - 03:35
Posts: 118

Matjazz wrote:
I’m looking for a charger (power bank) that can charge a phone using 18650 batteries. I got this one that takes 2×18650 from Ebay:

The first one didn’t work and I couldn’t measure any voltage on the usb-out. The seller refunded me and I ordered another one from different seller. That one didn’t work either and the seller sent another one. Unfortunatelly it doesn’t work either. Leds around the switch indicate full batteries, led flashlight works and it charges batteries from usb-in. Has anyone any experience with these chargers?

What about other options? I’d prefer chargers with interchangeable 18650 batteries so I can use the batteries in phone charger or flashlight.

So the small one sucks? Crap! I just ordered one of those also.

Yellowhorse
Yellowhorse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 6 months ago
Joined: 11/26/2011 - 19:16
Posts: 432
Location: Deepest Darkest West Virginia

E1320 wrote:
I have a half dozen of these they are great for charging your cell phone in an emergency and take most 18650s. They work awesome they have a battery gauge and the flashlight works OK also. They have 2 settings one standard .4 amp charge and another 1 amp charge for I-phones and tablets. For $10bucks it’s a good deal and they ship from the US so you have them in less than a week.

http://www.goldengadgets.com/2200mah-portable-usb-cellphone-charger-with...

This is a great idea. Dual purpose and functional.

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 day ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3376
Location: New Hampshire

srfreddy wrote:
E1320 wrote:
I have a half dozen of these they are great for charging your cell phone in an emergency and take most 18650s. They work awesome they have a battery gauge and the flashlight works OK also. They have 2 settings one standard .4 amp charge and another 1 amp charge for I-phones and tablets. For $10bucks it’s a good deal and they ship from the US so you have them in less than a week.

http://www.goldengadgets.com/2200mah-portable-usb-cellphone-charger-with...


I have that one, from DX, except I paid $22 for it. Oops! If you have one, do yours charge iDevices with the apple cable? The cable that came with the charger worked, but it broke, and apple cables don’t charge my iPod.

I don’t have any apple devices but my girls smart phone needs one amp and it works for that. It’s also worth noting the flashlight head has a USB port and makes a great nightlight.

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

srfreddy
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 4 months ago
Joined: 02/16/2011 - 22:07
Posts: 411
Location: New England

E1320 wrote:
srfreddy wrote:
E1320 wrote:
I have a half dozen of these they are great for charging your cell phone in an emergency and take most 18650s. They work awesome they have a battery gauge and the flashlight works OK also. They have 2 settings one standard .4 amp charge and another 1 amp charge for I-phones and tablets. For $10bucks it’s a good deal and they ship from the US so you have them in less than a week.

http://www.goldengadgets.com/2200mah-portable-usb-cellphone-charger-with...


I have that one, from DX, except I paid $22 for it. Oops! If you have one, do yours charge iDevices with the apple cable? The cable that came with the charger worked, but it broke, and apple cables don’t charge my iPod.

I don’t have any apple devices but my girls smart phone needs one amp and it works for that. It’s also worth noting the flashlight head has a USB port and makes a great nightlight.

The flashlight is pretty nifty, and the beam would be awesome if it wasn’t puke green. I just like wide floody TIR beams. If they made P60 dropins with TIR beams cheap, I’d be all over them.

DarkSide
DarkSide's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 06/04/2012 - 01:50
Posts: 792
Location: NYC

If you want to get all fancy with gadgets, and you your kinda lazy when it comes to recharging.
A 5 or 10kmah cell and all the adapters you can possibly need and gone for the weekend
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24405__Hobbyking_Lipo_to_USB_...
Seriously, with a good pack you can easily go all weekend with an I-pad, 2 cell phones, and charge a bunch of 18650’s.

 


ruffles
ruffles's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 10:18
Posts: 1020
Location: California

neverfeltbetter wrote:
ruffles wrote:
I’ve got something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-Mobile-Power-5V-USB-Battery-box-18650-Charger-Power-Box-usps-to-USA-/221063680202?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item33786c10ca

…. I don’t charge batteries with it, as I suspect it would have a fairly crude charging algorithm.

Do you own exactly THAT box ?
I have the one you linked and mine terminated at exactly 4.2 volt at a current around 100mA if I remember correctly.
There’s a tp4056 IC inside. Maybe I was lucky.
The small ebay tp4056 boards I have tested in a different setup usually overcharge up to 4,27 V.

Do you use the what is supposed to be the 3,5mm output ?
Mine died instantly when I tried to connect a load.

The StepUp converter was able to deliver around 1400mAh from ONE Sanyo 2600 18650 at 1A.
Thats a lot of juice considering the price tag.

No, I was being lazy and linking the first one that looked to be about the same.

This: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5V-Mobile-Power-Supply-USB-Battery-Charger-18650-Box-/330587233336?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item4cf888dc38

is the seller I used, and the picture looks like it’s the same from the front panel. That said, I can’t vouch for the fact that anything would be the same as I bought mine almost a year ago.

Mine does have a tp4056 inside, but for all I know, it could be decorative. Maybe I’ll try a charge cycle and see what the termination voltage is. I don’t really have the setup to see what kind of current it’s charging with.

Edit: just charged up and it looks (to my cheap dmm) like 4.19 volts after a bit of a rest. Not bad.


 

mfm
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 days ago
Joined: 03/14/2011 - 15:55
Posts: 467
Location: Europe

E1320 wrote:
I have a half dozen of these they are great for charging your cell phone in an emergency and take most 18650s. They work awesome they have a battery gauge and the flashlight works OK also. They have 2 settings one standard .4 amp charge and another 1 amp charge for I-phones and tablets. For $10bucks it’s a good deal and they ship from the US so you have them in less than a week.

http://www.goldengadgets.com/2200mah-portable-usb-cellphone-charger-with...

The one I got from DX which looks identical only takes unprotected 18650s.

vyvyra
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/23/2012 - 23:28
Posts: 142
Location: BEST KOREA

I have same battery banks.
it works well with LG 3000 unprotected cells .
Seller recommends to use below 0.75a chager.

Major
Major's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 6 months ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 13:59
Posts: 232
Location: Peak district, UK

For the issue with some boxes, not charging i think some fones need a signal from the usb cable. Maybe i’m wrong but there was something about a resistor on the usb connections in the charger signaling what charge current the fone should take.

GottaZoom
GottaZoom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2012 - 03:14
Posts: 2179

E1320 wrote:
I have a half dozen of these they are great for charging your cell phone in an emergency and take most 18650s. They work awesome they have a battery gauge and the flashlight works OK also. They have 2 settings one standard .4 amp charge and another 1 amp charge for I-phones and tablets. For $10bucks it’s a good deal and they ship from the US so you have them in less than a week.

http://www.goldengadgets.com/2200mah-portable-usb-cellphone-charger-with...

Just had my order for a couple of them canceled and refunded, OOS.

alex21
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 10/23/2011 - 08:26
Posts: 252
Location: Melbourne

Hey,

I have pretty much at least a couple of all those 18650 5v usb chargers mentioned. Atm using OP’s version as my edc and it will sometimes just stop charging my phone for no apparent reason. This one is more ‘automatic’ in a sense as it can detect when i unplug my phone and switch off. Charging via mini usb seems to work ok. Just wish their was something with more than one battery bay that is reliable. Will take a look at the hobby king suggestion

AAx3
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 3 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 18:47
Posts: 107
Location: ur lens

Does the ML-102 fit the blf favorite 18680 xtar? (edit: actually 68.5mm, but who's counting?)   I have a few repurposed ipod chargers (cellboost irecharge IPR3) that just happen to have USB-in, USB-out, and takes 18700 with some soldering, not worth the hassle to do it again.  Would have gotten the ml-102 if i'd known about it earlier.

clagged
clagged's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 hours ago
Joined: 02/10/2011 - 00:45
Posts: 99
Location: Sydney, Australia

My ML-102 takes XTAR 18700 without a problem (26650 too)

not sure about the XTAR 18680?

!{width:36%}Photobucket!

alex21
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 10/23/2011 - 08:26
Posts: 252
Location: Melbourne
DarkSide wrote:
If you want to get all fancy with gadgets, and you your kinda lazy when it comes to recharging. A 5 or 10kmah cell and all the adapters you can possibly need and gone for the weekend http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24405__Hobbyking_Lipo_to_USB_... Seriously, with a good pack you can easily go all weekend with an I-pad, 2 cell phones, and charge a bunch of 18650’s.

How efficient would that setup be? Say a 10000mah 7.4v lipoly with that adaptor? How many watt hours are we talking compared to 4×18650 on one of those ebay boxes (70-80% efficiency). Video at the link you provided looks pretty convincing. cheers

Matjazz
Matjazz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 06/20/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 194
Location: EU/Slovenia

I’d prefer the charger that wouldn’t need assembling (putting a battery in) whenever device needs charging. but since ML-102 has so many positive feedback I’ve ordered one and I’m waiting to receive it.

Now I see

wshyang
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 10 months ago
Joined: 07/19/2012 - 03:35
Posts: 118
Matjazz wrote:
I’d prefer the charger that wouldn’t need assembling (putting a battery in) whenever device needs charging. but since ML-102 has so many positive feedback I’ve ordered one and I’m waiting to receive it.

I just received a 1s4p charger with an adjustable output current today (check out #170880896962) and I’ve been charging individual cells up in it while powered from my ML-102 (don’t ask why, lol). So far so good, the 1s4p charger has been terminating early at around 4.083V.

Will do a couple discharge tests from it to see if it will do low voltage cutoff correctly, if this doesn’t die in a month’s time like another BLFer’s experience from such charger boxes, I’ll be a happy camper Smile

stoneboi
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 09:17
Posts: 13
Location: singapore

wshyang wrote:
Matjazz wrote:
I’m looking for a charger (power bank) that can charge a phone using 18650 batteries. I got this one that takes 2×18650 from Ebay:

The first one didn’t work and I couldn’t measure any voltage on the usb-out. The seller refunded me and I ordered another one from different seller. That one didn’t work either and the seller sent another one. Unfortunatelly it doesn’t work either. Leds around the switch indicate full batteries, led flashlight works and it charges batteries from usb-in. Has anyone any experience with these chargers?

What about other options? I’d prefer chargers with interchangeable 18650 batteries so I can use the batteries in phone charger or flashlight.

So the small one sucks? Crap! I just ordered one of those also.

i just got one white one. lucky for me , it works great. bought from aliexpress

my website : http://stoneboi.ucoz.com

Shur
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 6 days ago
Joined: 11/20/2012 - 19:12
Posts: 147
Location: Canada

I have the 'same' pack and found that my batteries died very quickly while sitting and waiting to be used.

 

I put in 4 freshly charged Flames and let it sit for almost 3 weeks.

When I tried to turn it on I didnt get any of the lights on even after pushing that button inside. I tested the batteries and found a low voltage (it was a couple months ago now).

 

Just wondering if you'd seen the same thing?

If I put fresh cells in and don't press the button would it last longer?

ryansoh3
ryansoh3's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/04/2012 - 08:21
Posts: 3893
Location: US

Shur, is there any way you can measure the current draw in mA or even uA from the cells?

BLF ≠ B-grade Flashlight Forum

 

JackCY
JackCY's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 8 months ago
Joined: 12/28/2012 - 16:30
Posts: 588
Location: Czech

ML-102

why would anybody buy something else

Shur
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 6 days ago
Joined: 11/20/2012 - 19:12
Posts: 147
Location: Canada

ryansoh3 wrote:
Shur, is there any way you can measure the current draw in mA or even uA from the cells?

I'm trying. I could use some tips.

Right away I blew the fuse in my only meter that will to mA.

My other meter will do uA and it's reading 32uA but the pack doesnt function with this meter in-line.

 

I'm heading out to pick up a new fuse in a bit.

Pages