Maplin s uk 100 pack of AA or AAA Extra Long Life Batteries

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
DON KIDIK
DON KIDIK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/29/2012 - 13:29
Posts: 376
Location: Gods country WIGAN
Maplin s uk 100 pack of AA or AAA Extra Long Life Batteries

As per title.Seems an oK deal to me.
Linky http://www.maplin.co.uk/extra-long-life-alkaline-battery-value-packs-370...

DON

Edited by: DON KIDIK on 11/27/2012 - 03:39
Blord
Blord's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 5 months ago
Joined: 10/25/2012 - 18:27
Posts: 176
Location: Belgium

That is 15cent per AA battery. I wonder recharging a Ni-MH battery costs more.

DON KIDIK
DON KIDIK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/29/2012 - 13:29
Posts: 376
Location: Gods country WIGAN

Hadnt looked at it that way at all,cant be much diffrence.I think with xmas only a few weeks away.They will come in handy.

DON

Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

I’ve seen them on sale there at about half that on occasion.

But it certainly beats the pound or so each that branded alkalines tend to cost.

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

Shadowww
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 01/20/2012 - 19:09
Posts: 1340
Location: Northern Europe

Blord wrote:

That is 15cent per AA battery. I wonder recharging a Ni-MH battery costs more.

Considering that recharging NiMH AA battery takes 4 watt-hours, and 1kWh of power costs ~15 cents (I don’t live in UK, used a Google search – correct me if I’m wrong!), you can recharge NiMH AA 250 times at price of 1 such battery.
Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

Shadowww wrote:
Blord wrote:

That is 15cent per AA battery. I wonder recharging a Ni-MH battery costs more.

Considering that recharging NiMH AA battery takes 4 watt-hours, and 1kWh of power costs ~15 cents (I don’t live in UK, used a Google search – correct me if I’m wrong!), you can recharge NiMH AA 250 times at price of 1 such battery.

I’m paying around 33 cents (22p since the last price rise) for a kWh of electricity – so you’ll only get about 125 – well about half that since rechargeables are not hugely efficient, on NiCd I used o reckon on using double the electricity that I’d put into the cells. NiMH are better but it is still of the order of 30-40% more.

Those AAs work out about 24 cents each.

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

Shadowww
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 01/20/2012 - 19:09
Posts: 1340
Location: Northern Europe

Don wrote:
I’m paying around 33 cents (22p since the last price rise) for a kWh of electricity – so you’ll only get about 125 – well about half that since rechargeables are not hugely efficient, on NiCd I used o reckon on using double the electricity that I’d put into the cells. NiMH are better but it is still of the order of 30-40% more.

Those AAs work out about 24 cents each.

I calculated inefficiency into account, real energy capacity of typical 2000mAh NiMH = 2.4 watt-hours, so 4 Wh requires just 60% efficiency, in real world it’s usually more than that.
DON KIDIK
DON KIDIK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/29/2012 - 13:29
Posts: 376
Location: Gods country WIGAN

Dont forget also.Youve got to buy the rechargeables and a charger.Then thers ones time and trouble doing it Wink ,shoe leather,calories burnt,loss of heat opening doors if ther in an outside building,missing the last 3minutes of a four hour film while you check them,mental pressures waiting and wondering…. Silly

DON

Shadowww
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 01/20/2012 - 19:09
Posts: 1340
Location: Northern Europe

DON KIDIK wrote:
Dont forget also.Youve got to buy the rechargeables and a charger.Then thers ones time and trouble doing it Wink ,shoe leather,calories burnt,loss of heat opening doors if ther in an outside building,missing the last 3minutes of a four hour film while you check them,mental pressures waiting and wondering…. Silly

DON

Yes, don’t also forget price of products that can get ruined by leaking alkaline cells Smile
DON KIDIK
DON KIDIK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/29/2012 - 13:29
Posts: 376
Location: Gods country WIGAN

Shadowww wrote:
DON KIDIK wrote:
Dont forget also.Youve got to buy the rechargeables and a charger.Then thers ones time and trouble doing it Wink ,shoe leather,calories burnt,loss of heat opening doors if ther in an outside building,missing the last 3minutes of a four hour film while you check them,mental pressures waiting and wondering…. Silly

DON

Yes, don’t also forget price of products that can get ruined by leaking alkaline cells Smile

& Clothing,car seat,new £3000 leather Lazy Boy….Second thoughts,Get a wind up or one ya shake hard and generate your own power…lol

DON

Old-Lumens
Old-Lumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 11/04/2011 - 11:39
Posts: 7478
Location: Tyler, TX, USA

DON KIDIK wrote:
Yes, don't also forget price of products that can get ruined by leaking alkaline cells Smile & Clothing,car seat,new £3000 leather Lazy Boy....Second thoughts,Get a wind up or one ya shake hard and generate your own power...lol DON...

Of course... The old shake flashlight video

My PayPal address: oldlumens (insert the @ sign here) gmail.com

My YouTube Flashlight Video Channel

The BLF Modding Links Thread 

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1374/jQ2wdL.jpg

 

Pulsar
Pulsar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 18 hours ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 00:41
Posts: 5847
Location: Maine

i found regular alkaline last a lot longer than my duraloops. the kids leap pad died and wasnt around a charger so i put some regular duracells in it, id say they lasted 4x as long as the duraloops. but i still use rechargeable in it as long as its possible.
my flashlights i use ultimate lithiums. kids toys and electronics that are heavily used get rechargeable. and kids toys that will most likely get thrown in a year or break or not so important get the alkaline

lowes had 30xAA for $4 on BF sale… picked up 5 boxes

how2
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2419
Location: london

Don wrote:
Shadowww wrote:
Blord wrote:

That is 15cent per AA battery. I wonder recharging a Ni-MH battery costs more.

Considering that recharging NiMH AA battery takes 4 watt-hours, and 1kWh of power costs ~15 cents (I don't live in UK, used a Google search - correct me if I'm wrong!), you can recharge NiMH AA 250 times at price of 1 such battery.
I'm paying around 33 cents (22p since the last price rise) for a kWh of electricity - so you'll only get about 125 - well about half that since rechargeables are not hugely efficient, on NiCd I used o reckon on using double the electricity that I'd put into the cells. NiMH are better but it is still of the order of 30-40% more. Those AAs work out about 24 cents each.

Have you added  the cost of purchase of each NIMH as well?

DON KIDIK
DON KIDIK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/29/2012 - 13:29
Posts: 376
Location: Gods country WIGAN

Old-Lumens wrote:

DON KIDIK wrote:
Yes, don’t also forget price of products that can get ruined by leaking alkaline cells Smile & Clothing,car seat,new £3000 leather Lazy Boy….Second thoughts,Get a wind up or one ya shake hard and generate your own power…lol DON

Of course… The old shake flashlight video


LOL,Hadnt quite that picture inmind,but thats a cracker.

DON