Review: Nitecore EA4 (4AA)

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13473
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Old-Lumens wrote:
vēer wrote:
I hope there isnt another clone to be born lol
I kind of hope there is, it would be the only way I could afford it, LOL.ezarc, thanks for the review and photos.

This thread looks friendly. I see an opening for a talented craftsman here to show us all how this could be made in the average workshop for us poor people. Nudge nudge, wink wink. Please Mr Lumens.Tongue Out

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

Old-Lumens
Old-Lumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 11/04/2011 - 11:39
Posts: 7478
Location: Tyler, TX, USA

MRsDNF wrote:

Old-Lumens wrote:
vēer wrote:
I hope there isnt another clone to be born lol
I kind of hope there is, it would be the only way I could afford it, LOL.ezarc, thanks for the review and photos.

This thread looks friendly. I see an opening for a talented craftsman here to show us all how this could be made in the average workshop for us poor people. Nudge nudge, wink wink. Please Mr Lumens.Tongue Out

Uhhhh, you got the lathe MRsDNFLaughing I can make a 4xAA 1D Mag thrower, maybe someday.

My PayPal address: oldlumens (insert the @ sign here) gmail.com

My YouTube Flashlight Video Channel

The BLF Modding Links Thread 

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1374/jQ2wdL.jpg

 

That Ninja Guy
That Ninja Guy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/17/2012 - 16:39
Posts: 607
Location: America's High Five, USA, Earth

Thanks for the great review! Smile
I hadn’t noticed the bezel gap(thanks! Sad :bigsmile: ), but I did indeed notice the rattle…
I wonder who is going to take it apart first and see if the issues can be remedied(or maybe we should just email Nitecore and ask them :quest: ).

xed888
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/16/2011 - 12:22
Posts: 771
Location: BN

Look at the other EA4 thread. its been open and the culprit is a Delrin ring that’s centering the reflector (i think)

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13473
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

[/quote] Uhhhh, you got the lathe MRsDNFLaughing I can make a 4xAA 1D Mag thrower, maybe someday.

[/quote]

Correct, but you are the clever, creative one as you have shown time and time again buddy.Sealed

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

ezarc
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/17/2011 - 18:23
Posts: 2108
Location: South Aus

Bit of a update.

Aside from the bezel not screwing down, the rattle inside the head and the green to purple tint.

Now it is stuck at 1 brightness level (one of the mids I think) and it cant be changed, the flashing modes still work but appear to be only the same brightness that the light is stuck on.

I have contacted hkequipment with the issues.

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5767
Location: Long Island, New York

ezarc wrote:
Bit of a update. Aside from the bezel not screwing down, the rattle inside the head and the green to purple tint. Now it is stuck at 1 brightness level (one of the mids I think) and it cant be changed, the flashing modes still work but appear to be only the same brightness that the light is stuck on. I have contacted hkequipment with the issues.

Wow that sucks. Stupid question, are your batteries fully charged? When my batteries get low, it only does one mode. I think it's the low mode though

Boycott Nike

ezarc
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/17/2011 - 18:23
Posts: 2108
Location: South Aus

I just changed the batteries and it seems ok, I didn’t notice the blue LED flashing fast but I wasnt really looking either.

I’m going to feel silly telling him that… oh well. I’ll tell him after he replies.

But still I forgot to mention here the dark artefacts in the hotspot as well, if its on something less than 10 meters or so away and move it, its quite easy to follow the dark patches and even 1 section of it looks brighter than the rest. I could see orange flecks on the inside of the dome, it kind of looks like rusty orange lint.

I don’t really want to send it back but a $59 light should be flawless, shipping will cost $20+ from here as well.

He said they checked them all and sent the worst ones back and that Nitecore already knew about the problems with them.

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5767
Location: Long Island, New York

ezarc wrote:
I just changed the batteries and it seems ok, I didn't notice the blue LED flashing fast but I wasnt really looking either. I'm going to feel silly telling him that... oh well. I'll tell him after he replies. But still I forgot to mention here the dark artifacts in the hotspot as well, if its on something less than 10 meters or so away and move it, its quite easy to follow the dark patches and even 1 section of it looks brighter than the rest. I could see orange flecks on the inside of the dome, it kind of looks like rusty orange lint. I don't really want to send it back but a $59 light should be flawless, shipping will cost $20+ from here as well. He said they checked them all and sent the worst ones back and that Nitecore already knew about the problems with them.

 

I sent my first one back after noticing what seemed to be a cross threaded bezel. The replacement is pretty much perfect. Still has a slight rattle, and there is still a slight gap in the bezel but from what I've been reading, it's totally normal. The rattle is slight and also very common. Not really bothered by that. The beam looks good on mine. I'm not noticing any obvious artifacts.

BTW, Illumination Supply paid for my return shipping!  

Boycott Nike

ezarc
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/17/2011 - 18:23
Posts: 2108
Location: South Aus

In a email they said they will pay for return shipping too, Ill send it off on Monday.

I still wan’t another one, hopefully it wont have any problems.

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5767
Location: Long Island, New York

ezarc wrote:
In a email they said they will pay for return shipping too, Ill send it off on Monday. I still wan't another one, hopefully it wont have any problems.

 

That's great! Hopefully you get your replacement in a timely fashion. It really is a nice light. I wish Nitecore would get their QC together. I think they rushed them out unfortunately.. 

Boycott Nike

Pulsar
Pulsar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 00:41
Posts: 5846
Location: Maine

i think if they do a second run, more threads on the head or a shorter bezel will get the bezel sitting nice and flush to the head. and the derlin ring needs to have the tolerance a little tighter to keep it snug around the base of the reflector. besides that i think its a pretty solid light and cant wait til i can get one

now the cross threads on yours is sure a qc miss though

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5767
Location: Long Island, New York

Pulsar wrote:
i think if they do a second run, more threads on the head or a shorter bezel will get the bezel sitting nice and flush to the head. and the derlin ring needs to have the tolerance a little tighter to keep it snug around the base of the reflector. besides that i think its a pretty solid light and cant wait til i can get one now the cross threads on yours is sure a qc miss though

I was thinking of taking mine apart and putting a couple of very small dabs of silicon sealer on the derlin ring so it doesn't rattle. At least gap in my replacement is even. All of what you said above should have done from the start.. 

Boycott Nike

Pulsar
Pulsar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 00:41
Posts: 5846
Location: Maine

atbglenn wrote:

Pulsar wrote:
i think if they do a second run, more threads on the head or a shorter bezel will get the bezel sitting nice and flush to the head. and the derlin ring needs to have the tolerance a little tighter to keep it snug around the base of the reflector. besides that i think its a pretty solid light and cant wait til i can get one now the cross threads on yours is sure a qc miss though

I was thinking of taking mine apart and putting a couple of very small dabs of silicon sealer on the derlin ring so it doesn’t rattle. At least gap in my replacement is even. All of what you said above should have done from the start.. 


yeah i agree. but it could be a lot worse
atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5767
Location: Long Island, New York

Pulsar wrote:
atbglenn wrote:

Pulsar wrote:
i think if they do a second run, more threads on the head or a shorter bezel will get the bezel sitting nice and flush to the head. and the derlin ring needs to have the tolerance a little tighter to keep it snug around the base of the reflector. besides that i think its a pretty solid light and cant wait til i can get one now the cross threads on yours is sure a qc miss though

I was thinking of taking mine apart and putting a couple of very small dabs of silicon sealer on the derlin ring so it doesn't rattle. At least gap in my replacement is even. All of what you said above should have done from the start.. 

yeah i agree. but it could be a lot worse

You're right about that.  I expect crap like this from unbranded cheap Chinese companies, not a company like Nitecore

Boycott Nike

how2
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2417
Location: london

Fasttech has it for $49.05, I think it's the beat price on the web.

With discount code BLF you can get it for $46.60

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2828
Location: N Europe

Now thats mighty tempting :D!

ezarc
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/17/2011 - 18:23
Posts: 2108
Location: South Aus

Great price, thanks how2.

bcoz
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 11 months ago
Joined: 01/11/2013 - 21:14
Posts: 19
Location: Sydney, AUS
ezarc wrote:
The user interface leaves a lot to be desired, I understand the concept but it is a lot more complexed than it really needs to be. 1 click, 1 half click, 2 clicks in 1 second, hold down for 1 second, to access different modes and functions. Some people might see this as a pro but I see it as a con. It has a lock out mode that I quite like…

To better understand the UI, I created a colour-coded Quick Reference Guide or cheat sheet for the EA4 (in PDF format). You can download it from the following link…

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/17442

Ouchyfoot
Ouchyfoot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2012 - 06:15
Posts: 5089
Location: Canada

Thanks bcoz
I copied that into my Evernote operating manual folder, along with the Nitecore PDF.

ezarc
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/17/2011 - 18:23
Posts: 2108
Location: South Aus

Thanks bcoz, I am very familiar with it already though.

But that will be very helpful to anyone picking one up for the first time.

how2
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2417
Location: london

Now DX has it for $54.60

Shaquille
Shaquille's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 05/15/2012 - 20:50
Posts: 459
Location: Vancouver

Greattt Review ! I sold mine within 2 weeks of getting it….great light with some little flows (same ones that you mentioned) that pissed me. S)

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6997
Location: The Light

Thanks very much! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

sorotantaz
sorotantaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 04/06/2013 - 05:04
Posts: 730

i've been reading about the rattle head of EA4 too in other places.

is it design flaw or just defect? can be fixed easily?

Chidwack2
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 00:14
Posts: 326
sorotantaz wrote:

i’ve been reading about the rattle head of EA4 too in other places.

is it design flaw or just defect? can be fixed easily?

I think they have already fixed that problem. I have no such problem on my new EA4.

sorotantaz
sorotantaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 04/06/2013 - 05:04
Posts: 730

Chidwack2 wrote:
sorotantaz wrote:

i've been reading about the rattle head of EA4 too in other places.

is it design flaw or just defect? can be fixed easily?

I think they have already fixed that problem. I have no such problem on my new EA4.
good to hear that. because I'm not hoping my on the way EA4 has a flaw from the birth.

thanks man Smile

 

 

Pulsar
Pulsar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 00:41
Posts: 5846
Location: Maine

mine also is rattle free. got it when fasttech first stocked it

lanterneled
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 04/14/2012 - 09:55
Posts: 20
Location: Constanta, Romania

I posted outdoor beamshots for Nitecore EA4
Left building are aproximate 140 meters. Center building are aproximate 300 meters and right building is aproximate 200 meters away.
I tryed to get best video fidelity but the camcoder will never pick 100% the brightness intensity and colors that can be seen with naked eyes.

Pages