Which multi cell AA light would you get?

55 posts / 0 new
Last post
leaftye
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/25/2012 - 17:43
Posts: 4293
Location: San Diego, CA

strayz wrote:
oRAirwolf wrote:
JohnnyMac wrote:
I purchased a SWM D40A and it's just amazing in all aspects.  I can't fathom anyone having difficulty with the UI on it.  The EA4, yes, since it is just a single button with a bunch of combos but the D40a couldn't be any easier unless it was a single mode light with a single switch.  It has two buttons: one for power and another for modes.  Press the power button and it turns on.  press it again and it turns off.  Want to change modes?  press the mode button.  Not exactly rocket science and nothing to remember except that holding down the power button for 1 second when off turns the light on in moonlight mode.  LOL.

 

I just got my SWM D40A from Fasttech today. For $54, it is hard to argue with the price. I only had maybe 3 minutes to play with the light, but I am impressed. It has a nice beam, the buttons are easy to feel without looking. It seems well made. It is in dire need of some Nyogel, but that will happen tonight. I think I made the right call getting the D40A.
Link please?

www.fasttech.com

You only want one?  Contact Fasttech and ask about bulk pricing for one unit.

 

If you're in the United States and want one much faster, you can get one for nearly the same price plus a little more for shipping and have it in your hands by Wednesday or Thursday.  www.illuminationsupply.com  Use the "laborday" coupon code.

The low mode should be lower.

oRAirwolf
oRAirwolf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 12/08/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 550
Location: Denver, CO

Yeah I would jump on that Illumination Supply sale. $59 for the light from an American seller shipped first class USPS from California is an absolute steal. That is well worth the extra $5.

strayz
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 10/09/2012 - 18:01
Posts: 756
Location: In the land of the Midnight Sun..

I live in Alaska, everything takes forever to ship here…… You would think we were 2500 miles away from the rest of you folk…

Literal conversation I had with someone on the phone.

Me, “ you can ship to Alaska correct?”
Them, “Yes, but it will be more exspencive due to shipping.”
Me “OK, go ahead and send it.”
Them. “You do understand it will be more in shipping? Correct.”
Me, “Yes, please send it.”
Them, “Ok, how would you like to pay for that?”
Me, “Credit card. Here is the information ….”
Them, “ Sir that card is is an Americian bank, and I think this may be a fraud issue, I am getting my supervisor.”
Me, “Ok, what country is Alaska part of?” “Last time I checked we were the 49th state to join the union in 1959 if I remember my history correctly.”
Them, “Please hold.”
Holding for 3 minutes……….
Them different voice, “Sir, are you still there?”
Me, “Yes, still waiting for someone to look up to see that Alaska is still part of the united states of America. Anyone have any luck on that?”
Them, “We understand your fustration and appreciate your waiting for us to see if we ship to Alaska, along with the security of your Credit Card to avoid CC fraud. We also need to verify that Alaska is part of the United States of America.”
Me, “ok how long might this take?”
Them, “ we are still working on this.”
Me, “Do you have access to this thing called the internet?”

Then they hung up on me.

So waiting for shipping is ok, we rarely get things next day let alone second day. I always ask can you flat rate ship it, It will get here in the same time and cost everyone less.

kreisler
kreisler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 1 month ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 23:32
Posts: 3992
Location: Deutcheland

strayz wrote:
Me, "Do you have access to this thing called the internet?"

Then they hung up on me.

 

That was rude!

 

by them.

:bigsmile:

*FMI* i got 4 i/o sh
Strick9
Strick9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 05:47
Posts: 261
Location: Allentown USA
Quote:
strayz wrote: I live in Alaska, everything takes forever to ship here…… You would think we were 2500 miles away from the rest of you folk…

I used to work in the shipping dept. of a mailorder-catalog retailer (that also has a bunch of B&M stores).

I had to explain multiple times to Customer Service, that when shipping boxes to Alaska (and especially Hawaii), they did not need customs forms like we needed for England/Germany etc; as they are not foreign countries…
“Of course Hawaii needs Customs Forms; it’s an island so it’s not part of the United States”.
Sigh Sad

They would also argue with me why we couldn’t use UPS-Ground to ship to Hawaii, because “their air service is more expensive”. I would always answer, “because you cannot drive a tractor-trailer across the Pacific Ocean” and after a short pause… “oh yeah”.

Similar problem with Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, as they’re not one of the 50-states (or should I say 48?); “they need customs forms”.
On occasion I would repeat the mantra: “Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are part of the United States” out loud in the hope it would eventually stick. But it never did quite sink in about Alaska/Hawaii as I didn’t bother to repeat the same quote about them, assuming everyone would know since they’re “states”… that makes them part of the U.S.

OK, rant over (sorry guys) Smile

Paranid
Paranid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 4 days ago
Joined: 03/19/2011 - 10:20
Posts: 281

strayz wrote:
I live in Alaska, everything takes forever to ship here…… You would think we were 2500 miles away from the rest of you folk…

Literal conversation I had with someone on the phone.

Me, “ you can ship to Alaska correct?”
Them, “Yes, but it will be more exspencive due to shipping.”
Me “OK, go ahead and send it.”
Them. “You do understand it will be more in shipping? Correct.”
Me, “Yes, please send it.”
Them, “Ok, how would you like to pay for that?”
Me, “Credit card. Here is the information ….”
Them, “ Sir that card is is an Americian bank, and I think this may be a fraud issue, I am getting my supervisor.”
Me, “Ok, what country is Alaska part of?” “Last time I checked we were the 49th state to join the union in 1959 if I remember my history correctly.”
Them, “Please hold.”
Holding for 3 minutes……….
Them different voice, “Sir, are you still there?”
Me, “Yes, still waiting for someone to look up to see that Alaska is still part of the united states of America. Anyone have any luck on that?”
Them, “We understand your fustration and appreciate your waiting for us to see if we ship to Alaska, along with the security of your Credit Card to avoid CC fraud. We also need to verify that Alaska is part of the United States of America.”
Me, “ok how long might this take?”
Them, “ we are still working on this.”
Me, “Do you have access to this thing called the internet?”

Then they hung up on me.

So waiting for shipping is ok, we rarely get things next day let alone second day. I always ask can you flat rate ship it, It will get here in the same time and cost everyone less.

Maybe you should order from Canada. It’s closer Smile

Keychain flashlights FTW!

leaftye
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/25/2012 - 17:43
Posts: 4293
Location: San Diego, CA

Try living in New Mexico.

The low mode should be lower.

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2829
Location: N Europe

I googled a bit about it and found this:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?368500-Lumintop-SD10-...

Also, our own jmpaul320 has done great review on his SD10:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/24468

baldo21
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: 12/05/2011 - 11:46
Posts: 83

After my experience with Super Storm Sandy, I made sure to purchase 4 of the SD10.
To me the SD10 is a real emergency illumination instrument.
Cosmetic appearance, thousands of lumens and miles of reach is all child play in a real SHTF situation.

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2829
Location: N Europe

It looks like this thread from the very beginning was intended like a trap!

I now have EA8W on the slow boat :D!

It will be interesting to compare D40A NW and EA8W 8) !

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6476
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

i build my own. ( a 2-AA side switch SK68 ) > http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/Denbarrett/SipikModification2_zps...

( though i already have two of the above listed lights. :bigsmile:

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2829
Location: N Europe

Its hard to beat SK68 clone with extension tube in either 2xAA or 3xAA setup, that much throw for such little money, just awesome :D!

pod7381
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 6 hours ago
Joined: 07/19/2011 - 22:42
Posts: 253
Location: USA
vēer wrote:
Its hard to beat SK68 clone with extension tube in either 2xAA or 3xAA setup, that much throw for such little money, just awesome :D!

Where can I get extension tubes for SK68 clones??

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6476
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
pod7381 wrote:
vēer wrote:
Its hard to beat SK68 clone with extension tube in either 2xAA or 3xAA setup, that much throw for such little money, just awesome :D!

Where can I get extension tubes for SK68 clones??

The 2-AA tube of this light: >> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3W-White-LED-2-AA-Handy-Camping-Flashlight-Torch-/360697863433?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item53fb449d09
will thread directly into the back of a Sipik SK68, and convert the SK into a 3-AA reat clickie.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

MountainKing
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 03:20
Posts: 2262
Location: Lost Islands ™

If I had spare money to throw, it would have been the eagletac Smile

Right now my EDU (every day use) quark tactical x aa2 has performed admirably, mostly as nightside lamp Silly I just dont need a higher output flashlight at the moment.

Never ever forget and forgive. Niwal**er new kid on the block trying to act tough.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/24847
Do not support this brand.

DINODIRECTSCAM COMPANY. DO NOT BUY
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/11324?page=2#comment-254983

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2829
Location: N Europe

I must agree about 2xAA lights – they are, IMHO, the most versatile out of all sizes of non-lithium powered lights, they:

-offer plenty of lumens
-plenty of light output either as throw or as sheer amount of light
-have pretty good runtimes
-dont cost much(depends on model)
-are rather efficient
-size is neither too small nor too big, depending on your usage patterns

Gotta love 2xAA size, this is another size that Im researching at the moment, so far the 1st place(on paper) goes to MT21A with its 10k cd and XP-E2 :D!

pod7381
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 6 hours ago
Joined: 07/19/2011 - 22:42
Posts: 253
Location: USA
DenBarrettSAR wrote:
pod7381 wrote:
vēer wrote:
Its hard to beat SK68 clone with extension tube in either 2xAA or 3xAA setup, that much throw for such little money, just awesome :D!

Where can I get extension tubes for SK68 clones??

The 2-AA tube of this light: >> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3W-White-LED-2-AA-Handy-Camping-Flashlight-Torch-/360697863433?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item53fb449d09
will thread directly into the back of a Sipik SK68, and convert the SK into a 3-AA reat clickie.

I bought a different police light from BIC to use an an extension tube. But even though the picture on BIC’s website showed it unscrewed into sections the light I got did not come apart. Mfg obviously changed the design. Wonder if the same thing applies to this other police light??

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6476
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
pod7381 wrote:
DenBarrettSAR wrote:
pod7381 wrote:
vēer wrote:
Its hard to beat SK68 clone with extension tube in either 2xAA or 3xAA setup, that much throw for such little money, just awesome :D!

Where can I get extension tubes for SK68 clones??

The 2-AA tube of this light: >> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3W-White-LED-2-AA-Handy-Camping-Flashlight-Torch-/360697863433?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item53fb449d09
will thread directly into the back of a Sipik SK68, and convert the SK into a 3-AA reat clickie.

I bought a different police light from BIC to use an an extension tube. But even though the picture on BIC’s website showed it unscrewed into sections the light I got did not come apart. Mfg obviously changed the design. Wonder if the same thing applies to this other police light??

I have one of the ones that don’t have the seperate head either. there are a fiew models of them, and its difficult to know which ones unthread from the head and the ones that dont. I was lucky to find a fiew that do come apart, and the threads match exactly to the body of the Sipik & thw SK clones. The one in my link is the same ones i bought back in April that did come apart. ( unless they changed them now.)

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

MountainKing
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 03:20
Posts: 2262
Location: Lost Islands ™

vēer wrote:

Gotta love 2xAA size, this is another size that Im researching at the moment, so far the 1st place(on paper) goes to MT21A with its 10k cd and XP-E2 :D!

The quark still is the lumens king? selfbuild measured it at 420 lumens.

edit:http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/selfbuilt/2012/MT2A-FL1-Summary.gif

Just checked it. SB reviewed the MT2A which is speced 20 more lumens than the MT21A, specs from website…

Never ever forget and forgive. Niwal**er new kid on the block trying to act tough.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/24847
Do not support this brand.

DINODIRECTSCAM COMPANY. DO NOT BUY
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/11324?page=2#comment-254983

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2829
Location: N Europe

But its not all about lumens, remember – emitter, reflector – these two play crucial role in amount of throw light will have, and, as far as I know, MT21A is the throwiest 2xAA light out there so far.

pod7381
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 6 hours ago
Joined: 07/19/2011 - 22:42
Posts: 253
Location: USA
DenBarrettSAR wrote:
pod7381 wrote:
DenBarrettSAR wrote:
pod7381 wrote:
vēer wrote:
Its hard to beat SK68 clone with extension tube in either 2xAA or 3xAA setup, that much throw for such little money, just awesome :D!

Where can I get extension tubes for SK68 clones??

The 2-AA tube of this light: >> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3W-White-LED-2-AA-Handy-Camping-Flashlight-Torch-/360697863433?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item53fb449d09
will thread directly into the back of a Sipik SK68, and convert the SK into a 3-AA reat clickie.

I bought a different police light from BIC to use an an extension tube. But even though the picture on BIC’s website showed it unscrewed into sections the light I got did not come apart. Mfg obviously changed the design. Wonder if the same thing applies to this other police light??

I have one of the ones that don’t have the seperate head either. there are a fiew models of them, and its difficult to know which ones unthread from the head and the ones that dont. I was lucky to find a fiew that do come apart, and the threads match exactly to the body of the Sipik & thw SK clones. The one in my link is the same ones i bought back in April that did come apart. ( unless they changed them now.)

For a couple of bucks I’ll order one and see if it comes apart. Thanks for the info.
spaceboy
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/12/2011 - 16:16
Posts: 438
Location: Edinburgh

I dont like the length of 2AA lights.

strongest2004
strongest2004's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/24/2014 - 19:32
Posts: 370
Location: Philippines

I have an incoming SWM D40A so I can’t comment on it for now.. I have an X3 with a 3C tint and I love its built and versatility. I carry it in my backpack everyday and use it as my main EDC. For now, XinTD X3 gets my vote.

Low mode and long runtime lover…

Cereal_killer
Cereal_killer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 07/22/2013 - 13:10
Posts: 4005
Location: Ohio

I voted the ET, to date (other than my NIB 9/11 surefire) it's the most expensive light I've ever bought. The biggest appeal it had to me was the 3x AA or 14500 batteries (without using a holder) and the UI, ended up giving it to my friends dad for a new garage/workshop light but it's the only one off the list I'd rebuy if I wanted/needed another > 2AA light.

 

Note the only other light I've owned off the list is an ea4, owned a first revision ea4W, a second revision EA4W and a orginal EA4 and sold them all. 

 RIP  SPC Joey Riley, KIA 11/24/14. Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Pages