MAXToch SN6X-2X Initial Impressions from another new guy

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Skaarjillian
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/17/2013 - 18:43
Posts: 23
Location: Maine, USA
MAXToch SN6X-2X Initial Impressions from another new guy

MAXToch SN6×-2X Initial Impressions

Sorry, no pix at the moment.

After exactly one month I received my new SN6×-2X this afternoon. I missed the group buy because I had already ordered one from Alibaba.com.

Build quality and machining are very good, as is the black anodizing. Threading is generally good, although perhaps a bit too square cut on the upper end of the battery tube. There are well-fitting, lubed O-rings under the clear glass lens, between the head and upper battery tube, and double O-rings between the lower battery tube and tail cap. The XM-L2 (U2?) is well centered at the base of an aluminum reflector. The light is easy to take apart making it a good candidate for modding.

Additionally, Maxtoch included an extra tailcap forward clicky switch along with a luminous rubberized cover and two O-rings.

No directions or explanation of the lights interface came with it. It did arrive in a zippered semi-padded case as advertised. I removed the light from the case with some difficulty but it does fit.

You laptop battery harvesting fans will be pleased to know that the SN6×-2X will accept the flat-top 18650’s typically found in laptop battery packs. There is some movement, but no rattling. I then tried two Panasonic NCR18650B, 3400Ma button-top batteries. They do fit, but very tightly. I’m able to see the top tail cap O-ring when using the 3400 Ma batteries so I’m not sure that the IPX-8 waterproof standard will still be in effect when using the NCR18650b’s or similar 18650’s over 2800 Ma.

Things that could be improved

There is considerable metallic machining “debris” on all of the threads which is held in place by a bit too much lube. This makes the threads feel gritty when the light is disassembled. I think this could be avoided with a simple wipe of a rag at the factory before the thread lubricant is applied. I took the light almost completely apart before I powered it up. I’m glad I did because there was a 1 cm “thread” of aluminum in the tail cap that could have potentially shorted the battery spring to the body. It would have burned in half I suppose, but why risk it? The LED circuit board would also benefit from a bit of solder defluxer.

Conclusion

I think the SN6×-2X is a very good value for the money and I am happy with the purchase and with Maxtoch. It lacks the attention to detail of a light from EagleTac or Nitecore but is considerably less expensive and boy, does it have a bright, long throw! The farthest visible tree in my yard is about two hundred yards away and the SN6×-2X has no trouble at all brightly illuminating it.

I Hope this brief write-up is useful to some of you who may have been wondering about this light.

—Skaarjillian

Edited by: Skaarjillian on 11/12/2013 - 22:10
mudgripz
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 4 days ago
Joined: 12/29/2011 - 22:22
Posts: 418
Location: New Zealand

That sounds very much like mine though mine had no debris in the torch/threads etc.

They certainly have some power and throw even in standard form from that big deep reflector.

MTAmanda
MTAmanda's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/31/2013 - 02:56
Posts: 84

Nice review.

Glad to know that you are happy with 2X. Thank you, especially for your advice.

crnkin
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Joined: 03/05/2013 - 17:10
Posts: 263
Location: New Zealand

What size is the MCPCB and is the pill hollow?

Did you measure tailcap current?

Cant wait for mine!

Chris

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3624
Location: Houston, TX

Skaarjillian wrote:
MAXToch SN6×-2X Initial Impressions

Sorry, no pix at the moment.

After exactly one month I received my new SN6×-2X this afternoon. I missed the group buy because I had already ordered one from Alibaba.com.

Build quality and machining are very good, as is the black anodizing. Threading is generally good, although perhaps a bit too square cut on the upper end of the battery tube. There are well-fitting, lubed O-rings under the clear glass lens, between the head and upper battery tube, and double O-rings between the lower battery tube and tail cap. The XM-L2 (U2?) is well centered at the base of an aluminum reflector. The light is easy to take apart making it a good candidate for modding.

Additionally, Maxtoch included an extra tailcap forward clicky switch along with a luminous rubberized cover and two O-rings.

No directions or explanation of the lights interface came with it. It did arrive in a zippered semi-padded case as advertised. I removed the light from the case with some difficulty but it does fit.

You laptop battery harvesting fans will be pleased to know that the SN6×-2X will accept the flat-top 18650’s typically found in laptop battery packs. There is some movement, but no rattling. I then tried two Panasonic NCR18650B, 3400Ma button-top batteries. They do fit, but very tightly. I’m able to see the top tail cap O-ring when using the 3400 Ma batteries so I’m not sure that the IPX-8 waterproof standard will still be in effect when using the NCR18650b’s or similar 18650’s over 2800 Ma.

Things that could be improved

There is considerable metallic machining “debris” on all of the threads which is held in place by a bit too much lube. This makes the threads feel gritty when the light is disassembled. I think this could be avoided with a simple wipe of a rag at the factory before the thread lubricant is applied. I took the light almost completely apart before I powered it up. I’m glad I did because there was a 1 cm “thread” of aluminum in the tail cap that could have potentially shorted the battery spring to the body. It would have burned in half I suppose, but why risk it? The LED circuit board would also benefit from a bit of solder defluxer.

Conclusion

I think the SN6×-2X is a very good value for the money and I am happy with the purchase and with Maxtoch. It lacks the attention to detail of a light from EagleTac or Nitecore but is considerably less expensive and boy, does it have a bright, long throw! The farthest visible tree in my yard is about two hundred yards away and the SN6×-2X has no trouble at all brightly illuminating it.

I Hope this brief write-up is useful to some of you who may have been wondering about this light.

—Skaarjillian

Still waiting for mine and it has been about a month. Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13473
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Thanks like the others for your mini review on this light.

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

Skaarjillian
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/17/2013 - 18:43
Posts: 23
Location: Maine, USA

@crnkin: No, I didn’t take the light down far enough to measure the MCPCB dimensions or measure current. The emitter itself sits on a solid aluminum threaded plug with a lot of gray thermal compound under it. It’s held down with two small Philips head screws. The +/- wires pass through two holes to the driver board which leads me to believe the pill is hollow, but I am not certain. Did not have the right tools to properly unthread that part of the torch.

I had the light with me on the way home from work last night. Stopped at a large dark field I pass by every night. Got out and aimed the SN6×-2X into the field. I could see eye shine from something (deer?) about 250 yards away. There was a nearly full moon so I wasn’t getting the full effect of the range of the light—but still impressive.

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3624
Location: Houston, TX

Mine arrived yesterday morning and I had a chance to play with it tonight (before packaging it back up for the guy who bought it from me).

Aside from several issues, it is a nice upgrade over the STL-V2 T6. It is a little brighter and much throwier. About 80,000-something lux of very useful light. Has the same profile as the T08, just tighter and more powerful. It handily outthrows my STL-V2 and is only a tiny bit heavier.

Drawbacks are that 1) the light can’t tailstand, and 2) the light cannot be run in “shorty” mode. And, 3) no AR lens.

MTAmanda
MTAmanda's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/31/2013 - 02:56
Posts: 84

Rusty Joe wrote:
Mine arrived yesterday morning and I had a chance to play with it tonight (before packaging it back up for the guy who bought it from me).

Aside from several issues, it is a nice upgrade over the STL-V2 T6. It is a little brighter and much throwier. About 80,000-something lux of very useful light. Has the same profile as the T08, just tighter and more powerful. It handily outthrows my STL-V2 and is only a tiny bit heavier.

Drawbacks are that 1) the light can’t tailstand, and 2) the light cannot be run in “shorty” mode. And, 3) no AR lens.

Wow, thanks for your comments. Many users mentind “shorty” mode. I’ve talked with our tech people. AR lens is already in our update schedule. Thank you.

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3624
Location: Houston, TX

MTAmanda wrote:
Rusty Joe wrote:
Mine arrived yesterday morning and I had a chance to play with it tonight (before packaging it back up for the guy who bought it from me).

Aside from several issues, it is a nice upgrade over the STL-V2 T6. It is a little brighter and much throwier. About 80,000-something lux of very useful light. Has the same profile as the T08, just tighter and more powerful. It handily outthrows my STL-V2 and is only a tiny bit heavier.

Drawbacks are that 1) the light can’t tailstand, and 2) the light cannot be run in “shorty” mode. And, 3) no AR lens.

Wow, thanks for your comments. Many users mentind “shorty” mode. I’ve talked with our tech people. AR lens is already in our update schedule. Thank you.

Excellent. When you get the upgrades, let us know.

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3624
Location: Houston, TX

Amanda…all…wanted to let everyone know what I just realized—that the one I got just before the group buy ended up coming from another seller and is the 2S version, not the 2X one. I am presently ordering another one for someone else and will be going through Amanda this time. Smile

mudgripz
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 4 days ago
Joined: 12/29/2011 - 22:22
Posts: 418
Location: New Zealand

Nice little torch the 2S – 400gms to the 2X’s 442gms – and it has a new ‘sniper’ lightweight version due out shortly. I’d agree its a nice upgrade on the original STL-V2/Maxtoch SN6×-2.

My 2S tested at 72k while the bigger 2X read 92k on my meter. 2S still light enough to be used a a scope mounted light as well as spottie.