Long runtime/low output AA light

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
s1mp13m4n
s1mp13m4n's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/02/2011 - 22:28
Posts: 498
Location: Virginia, USA
Long runtime/low output AA light

Hello everyone.  I am looking for a light that would be used for:

reading a menu

reading a book

candle for soaking in a bathtub

power outage light

close up uses

I was trying to do this with a P60 18650 light but I have learned that doing so may be hard to find something that dim.  I am thinking Fenix E01 but a bit larger so it is easier to hold.  I am thinking "moonlight mode".  Do they make such a light?

Lights seen from the blind side

Jacobhl
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 1 month ago
Joined: 05/15/2011 - 15:36
Posts: 108
Location: Denmark

Sounds like you need the E07 BLF special edition light ;). It has mode memory, so if you only need the moonlight mode, it will always be available as first choice, but has potential for much more light. It is a bit on the small side however.

Moving electrons to light my way.

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 4 days ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3376
Location: New Hampshire

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/179

Can't be beat it is programmable. I have mine set to .0001 amps OK I might exaggerate a little but it is super low it will run forever on the programmed low mode OK maybe not forever but you get the point. This is a must have light read the review it's killer.

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

s1mp13m4n
s1mp13m4n's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/02/2011 - 22:28
Posts: 498
Location: Virginia, USA

I am looking into this light.  I see reviews that say it is hard to set/program if low output is what you want because its auto brightness levels ramps up so fast.  Does it just have a dim low?  Is programing easier than it seems to get low output like moonlight, 5, and 10 lumins?  Smile

Lights seen from the blind side

Crux
Crux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 day ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 16:27
Posts: 227
Location: Northcoast, Ohio, USA

This seemed to last nearly a month - 24 hrs a day.

Pumpkin  driver

 

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 4 days ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3376
Location: New Hampshire

s1mp13m4n wrote:

I am looking into this light.  I see reviews that say it is hard to set/program if low output is what you want because its auto brightness levels ramps up so fast.  Does it just have a dim low?  Is programing easier than it seems to get low output like moonlight, 5, and 10 lumins?  Smile

 

It is a little tricky the first time to program, but once you figure it out it's easy. Besides once it's programmed how you want it you never have to reprogram it again if you don't want to. I am confident you can figure it out, we will walk you through it if you get stuck, you know this. It really is something special in the budget light segment.

 

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 7141
Location: The Light

I agree with the above recommendations.

A very quick, cheap solution would be this generic eBay flashlight
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330492990210

It costs $3.99, it's not very bright, and so far has been running for 36 hours on a junky alkaline cell with virtually no change in output. No high mode though. Smile

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

s1mp13m4n
s1mp13m4n's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/02/2011 - 22:28
Posts: 498
Location: Virginia, USA

Who has the best price on the Akoray K-106, and also when will the BLF Tank lights be done?  It looks like these are my best two options.

Lights seen from the blind side

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 4 days ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3376
Location: New Hampshire

s1mp13m4n wrote:

Who has the best price on the Akoray K-106, and also when will the BLF Tank lights be done?  It looks like these are my best two options.

 

Some people who have ordered them from DX received the one that is not programmable. I would play it safe and order it from KD here is the link.

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=6974

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

dimeotane
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 01/09/2011 - 16:56
Posts: 118

Lights that run long with a low output is a common topic here at BLF.  It's an area of interest for people like myself, sb56637,  Aleister and many others.  

You might enjoy one of the $3 lights that output around 20 to 30 lumens for 10 hours, like the Powerlight HX-G011.   But it doesn't tail stand well. A light that tail stands will bounce the light from the ceiling, illuminating the room nicely. You might like a LED lantern as well.

:Someone said they got 10 hours off this little $3 AAA light at DX: the Super Bright 7-1

Check out these threads as well for more ideas:

Long run time thread 

8 hours plus thread 

Tail standing lights  

AA lantern

 

 

newbie74
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/30/2010 - 11:16
Posts: 137

Just a heads up: Do not buy the Akoray K106 programmable at Kaidomain. As a big fan of the light I can tell it's no longer available. I received the 6 mode two weeks ago and the support told me they are no longer available.

 

They agreed to ship a Tank Light and some AA's as a replacement so I am still satisfied with KD, but the light is no longer available.

 

I have no info on the Akoray K109 programmable.

 

Hope it helps...

s1mp13m4n
s1mp13m4n's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/02/2011 - 22:28
Posts: 498
Location: Virginia, USA

If the K106 programmable light is not available, then what is my next option?  I like the BLF Tank007 idea but there is no set date for when we can buy those.  Smile  The Xeno E03 from the review seems to bright for what I want the light for.  It is funny there are so many bright light/lumens claims, but very few low lumen claims.  Smile  I get paid on the first so I am about ready to pull the trigger on a low output EDC light. 

Lights seen from the blind side

newbie74
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/30/2010 - 11:16
Posts: 137

That's a hard to find light. I tried the Eastward J609 4 mode and found that the low is too high and the high (*although very bright for an AA) is not as high as the Akoray on lithiums.

Please post your decision and it's reviews...

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7796
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

newbie74 wrote:

That's a hard to find light. I tried the Eastward J609 4 mode and found that the low is too high and the high (*although very bright for an AA) is not as high as the Akoray on lithiums.

Please post your decision and it's reviews...

But a much much nicer light ,great clip,much much smaller ,superb knurling and a much better clicky .

I like the Eastward alot better than the Akoray

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

Boaz wrote:

newbie74 wrote:

That's a hard to find light. I tried the Eastward J609 4 mode and found that the low is too high and the high (*although very bright for an AA) is not as high as the Akoray on lithiums.

Please post your decision and it's reviews...

But a much much nicer light ,great clip,much much smaller ,superb knurling and a much better clicky .

I like the Eastward alot better than the Akoray

[AOL]

Me too!

[/AOL]

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

agenthex
agenthex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 2 months ago
Joined: 07/14/2010 - 04:49
Posts: 3070
Location: Merica

The itp c7t/c7r are well regulated and programable. ~$30.

Reading this makes you smarter: http://lesswrong.com/

gcbryan
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 5 days ago
Joined: 05/07/2010 - 20:42
Posts: 2571
Location: Seattle,WA

It depends on what you really want. I don't know of any P60 drop-ins that are truly low. The cheap DX ones are never really low. I have a Thrunite XP-G drop-in that has a low in the 4 lumen range (as I recall) however to really appreciate the low end of things I think you need 2 or 3 lumens and then a lower setting of .2 lumen.

You can get that and a high of 115 lumens with ramping (infinite brightness control) with a 1 AA Photon Proton Pro. You can get that with a Zebralight headlamp. Actually the Proton Pro has a red LED mode that goes much lower than .2 lumen.

I don't know of any drop-in that gets you to .2 lumen however. Something with 5 or 10 lumen isn't low and once you see how bright that is it won't interest you. If you soak in the tub with a light set at .2 lumen it will feel like a candle in there with you. If it's 3 lumen if will feel like the room light is on if you were using a 25 watt bulb.

When you are outside (as in camping) at night you can walk around easily with 3 lumens. With .2 lumen you can walk but you need to be careful but it's more pleasant that 3 lumens if you are just sitting around talking to friends.

old4570
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 09/06/2010 - 02:44
Posts: 3425
Location: Land of Oz

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-r2-wc-3-mode-0-100-led-drop-in-module-for-wf-502b-and-flashlights-alike-3-6v-8-4v-17593

 

Very low low ...  Is a ramping drop in 

 

Also Akoray with programmable modes ...

Jetbeam has programmable modes  

 Always remember , the easiest thing in the world to do , is to expel hot air from your lungs and through some vocal chords ..
The resulting sound may , or may not be worth listening too ….

 

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7796
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

 

 

gcbryan wrote:

I don't know of any drop-in that gets you to .2 lumen however. Something with 5 or 10 lumen isn't low and once you see how bright that is it won't interest you. If you soak in the tub with a light set at .2 lumen it will feel like a candle in there with you. If it's 3 lumen if will feel like the room light is on if you were using a 25 watt bulb.

  a 25 watt bulb is  300 lumens .

 3 lumens  looks like  300 lumens??? not unless you're wearing nightvision

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7796
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

 AA   5 mm bulb  long runtime light    .. most have a purple tint but for sheer emergency runtime ... purple is acceptable http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-dorcy-5mm-1aaa-led-flashlight-w-battery-amp-keychain-ring-41-4224.html

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

gcbryan
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 5 days ago
Joined: 05/07/2010 - 20:42
Posts: 2571
Location: Seattle,WA

Boaz wrote:

 

 

gcbryan wrote:

I don't know of any drop-in that gets you to .2 lumen however. Something with 5 or 10 lumen isn't low and once you see how bright that is it won't interest you. If you soak in the tub with a light set at .2 lumen it will feel like a candle in there with you. If it's 3 lumen if will feel like the room light is on if you were using a 25 watt bulb.

  a 25 watt bulb is  300 lumens .

 3 lumens  looks like  300 lumens??? not unless you're wearing nightvision

Sitting in the tub with a 3 lumen light next to you will feel (somewhat) like being in a larger room with a 25 watt lamp in the corner (just to use an example that one (most) could identify with). It doesn't feel like being in a room with a 100 watt bulb but it doesn't feel like a candle either. Having a light at .2 lumen feels more like a candle wouldn't you agree?

In any event a Proton Pro will do what the OP was looking for.

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 4 days ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3376
Location: New Hampshire

old4570 wrote:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-r2-wc-3-mode-0-100-led-drop-in-module-for-wf-502b-and-flashlights-alike-3-6v-8-4v-17593

 

Very low low ...  Is a ramping drop in 

 

Also Akoray with programmable modes ...

Jetbeam has programmable modes  

Simpleman if you are still looking for a super low light I just got this drop in and you can definitely set it so low you can look at the LED without blinding yourself so a couple lumens is possible. It is a really good deal for 11dollars.

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

shao.fu.tzer
shao.fu.tzer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 8 months ago
Joined: 02/11/2011 - 17:06
Posts: 54
Location: Houston, TX USA

Gerber Infinity Ultra.. exactly what you're looking for... I promise...