I've been a flashaholic for years and I still don't get the obsession with ultra low modes.

137 posts / 0 new
Last post
2 DOGS
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/06/2011 - 13:08
Posts: 310
Location: Grays Harbor, WA

I like my BLF X6 on low ( among others). If I need more light I ramp it up.
I like the ability to flood everything and still light a small area when I need to.
I use low more than high unless I’m trying to impress newbys.

xv-750
xv-750's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 04/30/2013 - 09:32
Posts: 408
Location: Beaudesert, Queensland, Australia

In the other place and 73% of those polled are either 'love it top priority' or 'desirable - a pro feature' voters

see: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?341755-Sub-Lumen-quot...

Riding for 57 years, last off was black ice in ’73.

First paid computer job was in ’75, writing an extra report for HAPAS accounts on a Wang Computer.

kronological
kronological's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/12/2012 - 09:23
Posts: 3042
Location: Texas

No one, after lighting a lamp, puts it away in a cellar nor under a basket, but on the lampstand, so that those who enter may see the light.

My Reviews: Ma

jacktheclipper
jacktheclipper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2010 - 21:18
Posts: 4908
Location: Florida , U.S.A.

Like /\

Laughing

What I do

 

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1626
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

Speedsix wrote:
If I need less light which almost is never the case, I just use my $0.99 keychain light. For all other uses, I want actual light I can use.
Hail and well met, fellow Freak Of Nature!

I try to push the fact that, given the embarrassing “State Of The Art” of the fetid fecal matter we optimistically call “BATTERIES”, that light will be plenty dim enough, plenty soon enough, that there’s no point making it dim on purpose!

When we get useful, modern batteries, small & light enough to be portable, with enough power & capacity to be interesting, I’ll still pull out that impulse-buy dispose-a-light (with a momentary switch and the kind of form factor I can bite for light) for any time I actually “Need” a dim flashlight. Especially if it’s red. And if they ever quit making them, a .002-cent Red LED and salvaged CMOS/watch/hearing-aid battery will do just fine. And there’s always the Mag Solitaire if you really must spend Good Money to have the least amount of light possible…

But I get that I’m a freak, because I almost never turn a flashlight ON with a click. Most of my torch usage is Momentary, although I do click them on often enough that I like that feature. If I am around others & don’t want to bother anyone, my hands & fingers or other body parts (stop giggling, not ALL other body parts!) do a perfect job of keeping the surroundings au naturel for that moment.

To address another poster’s comment, I’m also a freak for not liking the pencil-beam “thrower” lights. I have never been able to get myself to the place where that “thrower” is illuminating, because the useful light is always Somewhere Else. Throws a mile?? Great. When you get there, the illumination is still a mile away! As noted earlier, at useful-working distances that freakishly-intense hot spot overdrives the eyes so that nothing else is visible, and the tiny spot only illuminates such a uselessly small area that I end up literally “throwing” them, either in the trash, in the woods, AT someone, or I just give them away to n00bz. Or (thanks to y’all here), now I can mod them!

OTOH, I have changed my mind about the Blinky mode, having used it to Good Effect in Bad Traffic. I would never want to be anywhere near the Zombie Horde, thumbing their “smart phones”, oblivious to the rest of us, at night, without a super-bright strobe!

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

cabfrank
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 days ago
Joined: 11/19/2010 - 17:25
Posts: 3119
Location: northern california

Hilarious post :bigsmile:

Chicken Drumstick
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/27/2012 - 05:00
Posts: 2762
Location: UK
DavidEF wrote:
Sorry, but is total and utter nonsense. Silly I don’t see anything ryansoh3 said that is nonsense, so therefore your post is nonsense. Wink

10 lumens is not painfully bright FFS. And no, it won’t annoy others, unless those people annoy so easily that simply moving with no light at all also annoys them.

Seriously, I love torches and don’t object to moonlight modes. But 1000’s and 1000’s and 1000’s of people manage perfectly fine, by simply turning on the bedroom/house lights.

Nobody actually “needs” a moonlight mode. This doesn’t mean there aren’t people who “want” a moonlight mode and can make successful use of them. But they aren’t the same thing.

And lets face it, there are parts of the world where at certain points in the year it doesn’t even get dark… yet those people still manage to sleep and live normally. So waking up in the middle of the night to something much brighter than moonlight really isn’t the issue people are trying to make it out to be.

Chicken Drumstick
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/27/2012 - 05:00
Posts: 2762
Location: UK

wolfdog1226 wrote:

Speedsix wrote:
I can see the use of these ultra low mode but I don’t use them enough to justify a dedicated mode on my main light. I’m sure if I daily needed a ML mode, I would look for a light that had one but that seems like a very specialized task and shouldn’t be a main mode. Hidden mode like most strobes are? Fine.

So what I propose is all strobes and firefly modes be forever banished to hidden mode territory. Bury them all deep where we don’t have to cycle through them to get to our real light. No normal person carries a 18650 flashlight to have .003 lumen that he could get from the smallest, cheapest, crappyiest light ever. I didn’t become a flashaholic to have weak wimpy light that nobody can see anything with.

This is ANOTHER post that is a perfect example of what Mike C said in post #41……..What I find amazing is how short sighted some people are. When something is of no use to them they simply cannot grasp the concept of it being useful for someone else.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is coming from a guy who has 15 modded throwers staring with one that fits in the palm of my hand[75Kcd] to the TK75vn KT[3300 LUMENS/341Kcd and the TK61vn V4- 750Kcd!!!

Just because you do not like ML or strobe,,,doesn’t mean it isn’t useful to others! I already posted how important STROBE is to someone walking a Dog on Hilly and curvy roads,,,,,,,,,,I am one of them! Wink

Actually I think they make a valid point. Moonlight is something you want assurance you can access instantly without cycling through the other modes.

BUT…. for a majority of people you don’t want it as the default when you turn a torch on generally.

A hidden, but instantly accessible from off moonlight is really the only type worth having.

There are simply no reasons why you’d go from Turbo to moonlight.

Adoby
Adoby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 09:58
Posts: 383
Location: Northern Europe

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
There are simply no reasons why you'd go from Turbo to moonlight.

I know one reason: You have to because a bad user interface...

It can be handled by pressing the head of the light to your hand, to reduce the light if you have to cycle through high modes to reach the moonlight.

I am very fond of my Olight S20-L2, even though the light is a bit on the cool side. Instant moonlight on demand.

Chicken Drumstick
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/27/2012 - 05:00
Posts: 2762
Location: UK
Adoby wrote:
I know one reason: You have to because a bad user interface…

UI is the most important feature on a light that has “specialist” modes IMO.

I have Qlite p60 I use a lot, set to 4 modes because I wanted the moonlight mode. While I do use it, I find it massively compromised.

Partly because you can’t dictate what mode it turns on with. But more annoyingly you can’t go:

Moonlight -> Low -> Moonlight.

Something I find I’d like to do quite often.

sapolan
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 09/17/2014 - 12:57
Posts: 5
Location: Slovenija

Hello fellow members, at the moment i am working at construction yard at night in the middle of nowhere, where i am guarding some things not to be stolen. I stuck all the night in the car, and i don’t use any tablets or laptops. Most of the time, i am reading. I recently bought Armytek Wizzard neutral 4000K version. The lowest setting is about 3 lumens. When i read books with glossy pages, it is hard to read with more lumens, because the light reflects, from the glossy pages. I also have Nitecore HC50, and i used red light on it for reading, but i noticed, that later if some car came across the road, i saw the light from the car more green, than yellow( all colours were distorted).
The Wizzard and its low mode is perfect for me, it has nice yellow tint on a white pages. I also like, that with long press on the switch, i immediately choose “moonlight”, and not blind myself…and what is also great is, that battery lasts for ages… Smile

xv-750
xv-750's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 04/30/2013 - 09:32
Posts: 408
Location: Beaudesert, Queensland, Australia

see the poll in the other place

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?341755-Sub-Lumen-quot...

This means that less than 1 person in 20 dislikes it - and aren't they a vocal lot.

I love moonlight and where I live there are no streetlights so it is very dark. I use moonlight so I can go to the toilet in the middle of the night without waking the wife, or falling over the dog.

 

 

Riding for 57 years, last off was black ice in ’73.

First paid computer job was in ’75, writing an extra report for HAPAS accounts on a Wang Computer.

power911
power911's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 05/12/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 928
Location: Malaysia

moonlight to me is my pee light.

if I’m blind I’m prolly awake the whole night

and the toilet light is too bright my eyes hurt even when closed

“Have you forgotten about all those who called you a Bringer of Woe and hunted you like an animal?”
“Normal humans don’t go around killing people and burning towns!”
“Don’t worry. I’ll go with you! So you just follow me and no arguing, okay?”

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 12 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9599
Location: Berkeley, California

Quote:
manage perfectly fine, by simply turning on the bedroom/house lights.

You’d like to think so, and the older you get, the less you’d notice.
But the longer that getting older thing goes on, the closer we get to being grouchy about people who bother us with stuff we don’t want to know about.

Here’s some more stuff you ought to know about, if only for the sake of the grandchildren:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23953362

That’s why we use amber LED nightlights around the house — no blue, and low brightness.

Good for turtles too: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/extinction-countdown/2014/05/01/sea-...

Quote:
“The optimal sea-turtle-friendly lighting is 580 nanometers or longer,” she says. That wavelength is around the yellow/orange part of the spectrum… The lights also … can actually enhance people’s safety by not overwhelming human night vision with glaring spotlights.

People first tried using yellow or red lights 30 years ago to try to stop turtle disorientations, but Godfrey says those early lights didn’t actually do the trick. “Even though a bud or sodium light might look yellow to you or me,” he says, “if you looked at it through a spectroscope, you would see the full spectrum of light. It may peak in the yellow region but there’s plenty of light throughout the spectrum. So those lights were still attracting turtles because they were sensitive to those different wavelengths.”

scdaf
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 11/01/2011 - 18:52
Posts: 333
Location: United States

Am I the only person on BLF who has LED nightlights in his bathrooms and elsewhere?

89 300ce
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 6 months ago
Joined: 12/12/2013 - 17:21
Posts: 128
Location: Canada
BLightSam wrote:
89 300ce wrote:
I’m a camper and wouldn’t do without ML.
Have you heard of camp fires? Is that too bright for you?
Why yes I have, however if I try to use it as a night light I’ll probably set the tent on fire and unless I build one in a wheelbarrow it’s not going to help me when I go for a pee.
DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

scdaf wrote:
Am I the only person on BLF who has LED nightlights in his bathrooms and elsewhere?

Must be! J)

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Racer
Racer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 5 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2013 - 00:39
Posts: 1792
Location: Hillsboro, OR

I'm a huge fan of moonlight mode, mostly because I travel a lot and don't like to be a jerk to those camped / sleeping around me. But the problem I'm having now is that I just split up with the missus and moved to an extremely dark, rural area, where there's not only no one to bother with the high modes, but no one to see it even if they wanted to. That doesn't mean I want to blind myself when I get up in the middle of the night, but 3-10 lumens is probably more useful when I'm not worried about other people, and of course ML mode isn't enough to walk outside safely with all the ruts and thorny bushes.

For me, 10 lumens-ish is better for walking outside and not twisting my ankle or getting my leg gashed open by a blackberry bush. So I keep alternating from ML being extremely useless to completely indispensable. Luckily there's a solution: more flashlights Smile

My TiS that comes on in ML mode still sits in my pocket as a backup, though, no matter where I am. If my D40A or SF5 backup go dead, then I'll have to twist the TiS out of ML mode to use it on the farm--no big deal at all. I think lights like the L10 get it right because you can buy versions with or without ML mode and then it's a non-issue. Plus I feel bad when the alpha males have to use a wimpy flashlight mode. It's like having to deal with a Honda parking next to their 200 MPH Maserati. Awful. These flashlights should be configurable so that everyone could make it use whatever modes the user would like. This way no one gets anxiety from having the wrong modes. That is where I believe technology will take us...

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10784
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
I have Qlite p60 …
you can’t go:
Moonlight -> Low -> Moonlight.

If you add an offtime cap to the driver and reflash, you can. It’s a little awkward though, since it will be necessary to use short/med/long presses instead of just short/long … and it only really works on a reverse clicky so if the P60 has a forward clicky that might need to be changed too.

Anyway, just saying it’s possible if you really want it.

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10389
Location: Golden state

Quote:
Seriously, why must these conversations always end up being polarised comparisons.

If you have to ask then you’re not asking the right question. Why is it that phrases like all normal people do… Generate controversy? Because the assumption is that if you don’t agree then you’re not normal. It would be far less inflammatory to simply state your own preference and refrain from attempting to generalize to the rest of the population. There’s nothing wrong with disliking a moon mode but declaring that all modes you don’t like should be hidden for everyone is a bit much. Having a subjective opinion is one thing, demanding that others share it is another.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10784
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Rufusbduck wrote:
Quote:
Seriously, why must these conversations always end up being polarised comparisons.

Why is it that phrases like all normal people do… Generate controversy? Because the assumption is that if you don’t agree then you’re not normal.

Oh, that’s how it works? Interesting. I don’t think I’ll ever understand humans.
Ormbett
Ormbett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 02/26/2015 - 09:55
Posts: 1245
Location: Sweden

I like very much: Moonlight mode Smile

I like not so much: Beeing told by others what I need and have a use for

Kind regards

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17278
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

ToyKeeper wrote:
Rufusbduck wrote:
Quote:
Seriously, why must these conversations always end up being polarised comparisons.
Why is it that phrases like all normal people do… Generate controversy? Because the assumption is that if you don’t agree then you’re not normal.
Oh, that's how it works? Interesting. I don't think I'll ever understand humans.

 

 

Clearly, humans are overrated.   Wink

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 30 min ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2445
Location: Malaysia

ToyKeeper wrote:
Rufusbduck wrote:
Quote:
Seriously, why must these conversations always end up being polarised comparisons.

Why is it that phrases like all normal people do… Generate controversy? Because the assumption is that if you don’t agree then you’re not normal.

Oh, that’s how it works? Interesting. I don’t think I’ll ever understand humans.

It is human nature that we all want to be accepted, that’s why most of us lead a “normal life” by working in big corporates and never make significant change in life. (not directed to anyone)

If you leave the crowd to participate in singing competitions, pursue your own way in entrepreneurship or any dream which is unique then it is not “normal” in the eyes of the public, and people don’t feel comfortable when they are not being accepted or agreed by the majority. Due to this I can understand why the start of this thread – To seek for agreement and acceptance.

Cheers.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

raccoon city wrote:

ToyKeeper wrote:
Rufusbduck wrote:
Quote:
Seriously, why must these conversations always end up being polarised comparisons.
Why is it that phrases like all normal people do… Generate controversy? Because the assumption is that if you don’t agree then you’re not normal.
Oh, that’s how it works? Interesting. I don’t think I’ll ever understand humans.

 

 

Clearly, humans are overrated.   Wink

That’s an understatement! :bigsmile:

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Adoby
Adoby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 09:58
Posts: 383
Location: Northern Europe

raccoon city wrote:
Clearly, humans are overrated.   Wink

By what/whom?

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17278
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Adoby wrote:

raccoon city wrote:
Clearly, humans are overrated.   Wink

By what/whom?

coonBgone

Zombie raccoons.   Crown

BLightSam
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 11/13/2012 - 03:08
Posts: 1559
Location: USA

Observations:

1. BLF is flooded with people who gets up in the middle of the night. On the other hand, budget/economy lodging in travel where multiple beds in one room with strangers do not mention moon light flashlight.

2. Documentary on multiple day hiking don’t ever show people reading at night. They show, though, people sitting around a camp fire singing or conversing.

Ormbett
Ormbett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 02/26/2015 - 09:55
Posts: 1245
Location: Sweden

BLightSam wrote:
Observations:

1. BLF is flooded with people who gets up in the middle of the night. On the other hand, budget/economy lodging in travel where multiple beds in one room with strangers do not mention moon light flashlight.

2. Documentary on multiple day hiking don’t ever show people reading at night. They show, though, people sitting around a camp fire singing or conversing.

This thread reminds me of….

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

BLightSam wrote:
Observations:

1. BLF is flooded with people who gets up in the middle of the night. On the other hand, budget/economy lodging in travel where multiple beds in one room with strangers do not mention moon light flashlight.

2. Documentary on multiple day hiking don’t ever show people reading at night. They show, though, people sitting around a camp fire singing or conversing.


So? Your point is?

1. THE WORLD is flooded with people who get up in the middle of the night. Most people probably don’t know sub-lumen lighting is available or they’d be using it. I never used moon mode on any of my flashlights, until I got a flashlight that has it. Now, I use it every day! :bigsmile:

2. Documentaries about hiking aren’t going to show people reading, because that is not a hiking/camping/outdoor specific activity and also is considered to be boring and/or lonely. So it doesn’t fit the story line of a hiking/camping adventure. As others have shown above, it does actually happen.

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Pages