New Thorfire 16340 lights, anyone have any experience with them?

35 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's
New Thorfire 16340 lights, anyone have any experience with them?

I have one of these on order:

Thorfire KL02 (non affiliated link)

It looks interesting and I will report back here when I get it, a single mode area light may come in handy… I wonder if I can find a clip for it, it would make a pretty good headlamp on a ball cap…

Thorfire also has this one:

KL03 (non affiliated link, not on the Eachine Website…)

The blinky modes killed it for me on the KL03, I have a QTC pill I may try to put into the KL02 to see if I can get a variable mode… And now I also have two 16340’s on order from FT… Man, this place is killin’ me… In a good way…

Edited by: ReManG on 06/24/2015 - 23:22
freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 10416

Nice find. It will be perfect if it has low flashing or beacon function.

1thedeals.comyoutubeAstroluxNealsgadgetsolight

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's
freeme wrote:

Nice find. It will be perfect if it has low flashing or beacon function.

That would be great on this light, but it looks like it is just on/off single mode. I would be ok with a blinky mode on this light, but the KL03 is the one with High/Low/Strobe…. I will see how modable this is when I get it and put a mini review when I look it over…

WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5071
Location: H-Town

Is that some sort of translucent diffuser dome?

wonder what size driver it has…very interesting

Nice looking little light on the 2nd link…thanks!

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's

WarHawk-AVG wrote:
Is that some sort of translucent diffuser dome?

wonder what size driver it has…very interesting

Nice looking little light on the 2nd link…thanks!

It looks like a diffuser, or maybe an easier way to smuggle a light into jail… I hope it is a diffuser…

The KL03 looks cool too, but the KL02 caught my attention more…

bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 2161
Location: Maryland USA

I ordered both, should be here Sat. I read the reviews, not sure if I trust them or not. They were most likely given the light to review at a highly discounted price/free . We shall see.  

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's
bikenber73 wrote:

I ordered both, should be here Sat. I read the reviews, not sure if I trust them or not. They were most likely given the light to review at a highly discounted price/free . We shall see.  

And thus my post here, just the fact BLF hadn’t found them negates most reviews for me. Thorfire is a banggood house brand, I have a C8 and their TG06, good lights, good quality, I hope this one is too…

mhanlen
mhanlen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 03/01/2013 - 11:42
Posts: 2601
Location: Eastern USA

ok, so that first light thorfire sent me for review. It is a plastic dome diffuser. I had problems with the light, and they wanted to send me another one for review. I told them no. The construction is good… But a protected cell might have a hard time fitting. It’s all I had and it was finicky and it started working intermittently. So either I screwed up the light or the protection circuit on the cell. Either way I said I didn’t have the time to spend another few hours on it. It seems a decent light and well made, but it might need a cell that’s shorter than I had to twist on properly.

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's
mhanlen wrote:
ok, so that first light thorfire sent me for review. It is a plastic dome diffuser. I had problems with the light, and they wanted to send me another one for review. I told them no. The construction is good… But a protected cell might have a hard time fitting. It’s all I had and it was finicky and it started working intermittently. So either I screwed up the light or the protection circuit on the cell. Either way I said I didn’t have the time to spend another few hours on it. It seems a decent light and well made, but it might need a cell that’s shorter than I had to twist on properly.

That was one of the things I liked about this light, CR123 OR 16340’s. The CR123 option is nice for nonflashaholic friends and family, the 16340 for more advanced users. Plus, I want to see if it is modable. I ordered unprotected 16340’s as I was concerned about the length issues…. Good to know about the protected being too long, thanks!

mhanlen
mhanlen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 03/01/2013 - 11:42
Posts: 2601
Location: Eastern USA

Yeah it worked at first, but only partially tightened down. If I tried to tighten it down so the o-ring wasn’t showing it would cut off. Now it only stays lit for a half second before shutting off. Let me know if it was the cells that were the problem. That said, the dome works great, and it’s a thick piece of plastic… more like a frosted optic. Now having used the dome on this style of light, I don’t see why you’d want it any other way.

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's

I will do a mini review when I get it….

travis
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 03/19/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 1010
Location: SoCal

Looks a bit like the light CountyComm has that’s made to be an Aircraft LZ beacon.?

“"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.””
-George Washington

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's
travis wrote:
Looks a bit like the light CountyComm has that’s made to be an Aircraft LZ beacon.?

That is what I thought, but that one is for a C-cell alkaline, and has HUGE runtimes/multi mode, etc. This looks to be the poormans version for CR123/16340. The countycomm one looks nice for sure…

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's
mhanlen wrote:
Yeah it worked at first, but only partially tightened down. If I tried to tighten it down so the o-ring wasn’t showing it would cut off. Now it only stays lit for a half second before shutting off. Let me know if it was the cells that were the problem. That said, the dome works great, and it’s a thick piece of plastic… more like a frosted optic. Now having used the dome on this style of light, I don’t see why you’d want it any other way.

Did you have any issues with the width of the batteries? I am wondering if it would fit an 18350…. I will check mine when I get it with an 18650 for width, but figured I would ask if you still had the light available to check… Big runtime boost from an 18350…

travis
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 03/19/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 1010
Location: SoCal

Interesting to wonder if Thorfire is a rebrander ( no shame) or an OEM manufacturer.
The Thorfire website
http://www.thorfiredirect.com/Flashlights-c-55.html

has many familiar lights, including the AAA Stainless EDC xp-g2 clicky sold by
CNqualityGoods.com & AliExpress ( I have 2— nice tiny lights)

In another thread—it is mentioned that on the Aliexpress page for the
AAA Stainless EDC xp-g2 light, it
lists the maker as BTU Flashlights. btulight.com

“"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.””
-George Washington

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2445
Location: Malaysia

I hope the keyring hole is at the middle so that we can wear it on neck.

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8864
Location: Eastern PA

I love the look of that KL02.  I'm considering getting one if I could replace the driver with a 1.4A nanjg with a 1 or 2 lumen low, 50% med & 100% plus a 1 or 2 second beacon.  It would be an immensely useful little light.

Mhanlen, does it look like the driver can be easily replaced?

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's
bibihang wrote:
I hope the keyring hole is at the middle so that we can wear it on neck.

It looks like you could do this, but it would go through both sides of the tail cap… Good idea…

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's
JohnnyMac wrote:

I love the look of that KL02.  I’m considering getting one if I could replace the driver with a 1.4A nanjg with a 1 or 2 lumen low, 50% med & 100% plus a 1 or 2 second beacon.  It would be an immensely useful little light.

Mhanlen, does it look like the driver can be easily replaced?

You read my mind sir… I am going to try and take good pics when I get it… It kind of reminds me of a 40mm grenade round..

bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 2161
Location: Maryland USA

Any mention of the LED used?

mhanlen
mhanlen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 03/01/2013 - 11:42
Posts: 2601
Location: Eastern USA
ReManG wrote:
mhanlen wrote:
Yeah it worked at first, but only partially tightened down. If I tried to tighten it down so the o-ring wasn’t showing it would cut off. Now it only stays lit for a half second before shutting off. Let me know if it was the cells that were the problem. That said, the dome works great, and it’s a thick piece of plastic… more like a frosted optic. Now having used the dome on this style of light, I don’t see why you’d want it any other way.

Did you have any issues with the width of the batteries? I am wondering if it would fit an 18350…. I will check mine when I get it with an 18650 for width, but figured I would ask if you still had the light available to check… Big runtime boost from an 18350…

It will not fit a 18650 or 18350 width battery. It fits a 16340 protected cell perfectly though, without much width to spare.

mhanlen
mhanlen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 03/01/2013 - 11:42
Posts: 2601
Location: Eastern USA
JohnnyMac wrote:

I love the look of that KL02.  I’m considering getting one if I could replace the driver with a 1.4A nanjg with a 1 or 2 lumen low, 50% med & 100% plus a 1 or 2 second beacon.  It would be an immensely useful little light.

Mhanlen, does it look like the driver can be easily replaced?

Looks like it sits on a tiny shelf, so probably. When I get home I might throw up some pictures or a short video of the whole thing.

mhanlen
mhanlen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 03/01/2013 - 11:42
Posts: 2601
Location: Eastern USA
bikenber73 wrote:

Any mention of the LED used?

The manual does not say. It isn’t familiar looking to me, but I feel like it’s neutral tinted.

Old-Lumens
Old-Lumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 10 months ago
Joined: 11/04/2011 - 11:39
Posts: 7478
Location: Tyler, TX, USA

JohnnyMac wrote:

I love the look of that KL02.  I'm considering getting one if I could replace the driver with a 1.4A nanjg with a 1 or 2 lumen low, 50% med & 100% plus a 1 or 2 second beacon.  It would be an immensely useful little light.

Mhanlen, does it look like the driver can be easily replaced?

I contacted Thorfire about the KL02 and asked if they could do "modes". They seemed unsure, so I explained it to them. They are going to "look at the idea" and see if they feel they can make it with modes. In the "next few weeks". I told them if they could, it might be a great little light for a GB here. Time will tell. They say they will keep me updated as things develop. I will find out the led next time I contact them.

My PayPal address: oldlumens (insert the @ sign here) gmail.com

My YouTube Flashlight Video Channel

The BLF Modding Links Thread 

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1374/jQ2wdL.jpg

 

power911
power911's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 05/12/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 928
Location: Malaysia

somehow I’m hoping the KL02 had a High Low and slow beacon flash

“Have you forgotten about all those who called you a Bringer of Woe and hunted you like an animal?”
“Normal humans don’t go around killing people and burning towns!”
“Don’t worry. I’ll go with you! So you just follow me and no arguing, okay?”

mhanlen
mhanlen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 03/01/2013 - 11:42
Posts: 2601
Location: Eastern USA

Here ya go fellas.

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's

Oh giggity, that looks modable in many ways… this could be a very interesting light…. Some sort of OSRAM led maybe? I am not experienced enough with the LED ID…

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's

Well, nuts, it won’t be here until Monday. Forgot amazon likes UPS

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's

My Review is up!

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7680
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

mhanlen wrote:
Here ya go fellas. !https://farm1.staticflickr.com/268/19178901702_23e9548b2d_c.jpg![/quote]

looks like the same emitter and lil dome that snakebite was making . He's just using the harbor frieght giveaway lights as a host and dropping a 18500 or a laptop pull18650.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/36635  < snakebites polishing a turd thread

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2668
Location: Between the Mexico's

Ordered one of the KL03’s, I will post a quick review when I get it. Has anyone gotten one of these yet?

Pages