What are current choice and recos for 4xAA Single-emitter light?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
ohaya
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 19:01
Posts: 5337
Location: US
What are current choice and recos for 4xAA Single-emitter light?

Hi,

I’m going to be working away from home for a couple of months. It’s not going to be in a remote area, but I wanted to take a reliable flashlight that uses just AA batteries, as I don’t want to take a Li-ion charger with me. I have some smaller AAA lights that I will bring along, but I want to have something brighter, so I’m thinking of a 4xAA light, which surprisingly, I don’t have at all, so I’m looking for suggestions/recommendations?

It seems like the TN4A or EA41A might be my best best at this point? Which one (or another one) would you all recommend?

Thanks,
Jim

Liber8
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 4 hours ago
Joined: 08/03/2016 - 11:43
Posts: 230
Location: FL

I dont think you can go wrong with the Nitecore EA45S. 35 bucks at gearbest with code EAS10. Its much easier to hold and pocket compared to fatter light like my Crelant v4a. The tn4a is also fat like the crelant i believe.

gchart
gchart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 48 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 3158
Location: Central IL

I was just getting ready to chime in with that coupon on the EA45S. I have no experience with this light, but it seems like a steal for $35. I do have other Nitecore lights, very high quality.

Link: http://m.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_266614.html?wid=21

ohaya
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 19:01
Posts: 5337
Location: US
Liber8 wrote:
I dont think you can go wrong with the Nitecore EA45S. 35 bucks at gearbest with code EAS10. Its much easier to hold and pocket compared to fatter light like my Crelant v4a. The tn4a is also fat like the crelant i believe.

I was thinking of a shorter light, but I’ll take a look, but I get this when I try that code:

Coupon code can only be used with one piece price, it can not be used with vip price, special offer, group deal at the same time.

Jim

gchart
gchart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 48 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 3158
Location: Central IL

Odd, I just added it to my cart and applied the coupon, no problems.

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 43 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 4191

One point of possible concern is parasitic drain. The Thrunite has an extremely low parasitic drain of only 6.5 microA (35 years) according to Selfbuilt. I can’t find data about Nitecore’s parasitic drain for the 4xAA models, but I do know that some Nitecore models suffer from very high drain values. If parasitic drain is of concern, and you don’t want to take the batteries out when you’re not using it, then I would check this out and ask Nitecore.
Perhaps you want to check out differences in features or UI to make a decision. Otherwise, both these lights seem like a good choice to me.

ohaya
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 19:01
Posts: 5337
Location: US
hIKARInoob wrote:
One point of possible concern is parasitic drain. The Thrunite has an extremely low parasitic drain of only 6.5 microA (35 years) according to Selfbuilt. I can’t find data about Nitecore’s parasitic drain for the 4xAA models, but I do know that some Nitecore models suffer from very high drain values. If parasitic drain is of concern, and you don’t want to take the batteries out when you’re not using it, then I would check this out and ask Nitecore. Perhaps you want to check out differences in features or UI to make a decision. Otherwise, both these lights seem like a good choice to me.

I was just looking at that EA45S, and I noticed the blinking voltage warning, so I was wondering about that (the parasitic drain).

Has the light been reviewed anywhere here yet?

raynman
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/13/2016 - 21:00
Posts: 151
Location: Maine

I just ordered a Nitecore EA45S several days ago- I have been lusting after a powerful AA lite, but was not thrilled with the “soda can” shape of the TN4A and similar 4xAA lites. I seem to recall seeing in a thread here that parasitic drain was pretty minimal on this lite

I ordered from GearBest for 36.59 on the discount currently available that ends October 3rd

best of luck in your quest

ohaya
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 19:01
Posts: 5337
Location: US
gchart wrote:
Odd, I just added it to my cart and applied the coupon, no problems.

Just tried with a different browser (Firefox) and it worked! Chrome was the one that didn’t work.

raynman
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/13/2016 - 21:00
Posts: 151
Location: Maine

EA45S review here:

budgetlightforum.com/node/44878

and that is where I read about the low (to me, anyway) parasitic drain, “I measured .08mA parasitic drain. So cells will be dead in about 1276 days, or down to 50% in 638 days on an Eneloop Pro 2450mAh cell.” (from the review)

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 43 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 4191

raynman wrote:
EA45S review here:

budgetlightforum.com/node/44878

and that is where I read about the low (to me, anyway) parasitic drain, “I measured .08mA parasitic drain. So cells will be dead in about 1276 days, or down to 50% in 638 days on an Eneloop Pro 2450mAh cell.” (from the review)

Thanks!

Here it is Ohaya. Not really a problem with this model Wink

ohaya
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 19:01
Posts: 5337
Location: US

Anyway, for now, can we take the EA45S off the table? Looking at some pics and stuff, I think I’d prefer to have a shorter style light, like the small “soda can” styles.

ohaya
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 19:01
Posts: 5337
Location: US

Hi,

Ok. You may find this funny (== amusing), but I was just looking in the display case that I have for my lights (yes, I have a display case for them) and WAAAAY in the back, guess what I found?

Yes, I found a D40A!!

So, I think I’m good to go for this trip. Now I have to figure out what OTHER lights I want to take with us.

Thanks, and now I may re-take a look at the EA45S, but not for this trip. Seems like a heck of a deal?

Jim

Liber8
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 4 hours ago
Joined: 08/03/2016 - 11:43
Posts: 230
Location: FL

For me its a good car light to throw in my glove box. It looks really long in pictures but i was surprised how small and compact it was in person. Sounds like you are good to go though.

adirondackdestroyer
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 08:05
Posts: 286
Location: US

I open this thread to see what you guys recommend and end up buying a EA45S, thanks a lot guys! lol

ohaya
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 19:01
Posts: 5337
Location: US
adirondackdestroyer wrote:
I open this thread to see what you guys recommend and end up buying a EA45S, thanks a lot guys! lol

Actually, I’m embarrassed to say that I did the exact same thing (even tho I’m the OP)!

Jim

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9908
Location: Charente France

Haha question asked and answered in record time.

Don’t forget Thorfire TK4Ahttp://budgetlightforum.com/node/49208

ohaya
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 19:01
Posts: 5337
Location: US

Hi,

It looks like the EA45S shipped already (or, at least I have a still-not-working tracking # from GB)!

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10389
Location: Golden state

Thorfire has also sent me one for review(TK4A) and the current Amazon price is $45. I’ll be writing up a review after I’ve used it a bit.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

presterjohn
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 01/26/2015 - 11:11
Posts: 302
Location: UK
adirondackdestroyer wrote:
I open this thread to see what you guys recommend and end up buying a EA45S, thanks a lot guys! lol

Ditto. My bank manager hates this site.