Help ! -Need AA light with long runtime on low/moonlight mode

161 posts / 0 new
Last post
lisa3070
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 16:30
Posts: 68

kramer5150 wrote:
Well… theres really only one way to find out. Just get an alkaline cell and try it out. Not all alkaline batteries are created equal too. Some are longer running than others for low drain applications. It would be presumptuous to just assume a product doesn’t meet Akaline spec without actually testing.

The other aspect you are neglecting is the discharge characteristics of Alkaline versus nimh. Alkalines at very low current gradually deplete their output. So at these low currents its not always cut and dry. Oh also, eneloops may not be actually 2000mah. My understanding is they gradually lose capacity, especially when they are repeatedly deep discharged way down. So there can be a lot of variables.

Anyways… For whatever reason, ultra low candle modes (fraction of a lumen) are almost always not featured on budget-affordable lights.

The thrunite T10 has a .2 Lumen ultra low mode from a 1.2V battery (presumably an eneloop pro). This might get you to 80 hours and with a 240 hour spec I would fully expect it to.
https://www.amazon.com/ThruNite-flashlight-single-hand-operation-Flashli...

I just got a TH20 headlamp. Its spec reads, With AA 2450mAh (eneloop pro I would assume) = 14 day run time at its .3 Lumen firefly mode. This headlamp has replaced my $$$ Zebralight and I am very impressed with its overall quality for the $ spent. I would expect similar levels of quality from the T10.

Anyways… Good Luck!!! At ~$8 I still think you got a GREAT light for the money.

The t10 thrunite..rates 40 hour runtime at 13 lumens , using a nimh – 1.2 volt battery. I would guess that is accurate specs.

My XTAR only gets 28 hours at 3 lumens with 1.2 volt eneloop battery…..so we can see the difference in quality/ runtimes .

chadvone
chadvone's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 08/28/2015 - 23:48
Posts: 2019
Location: Iowa

Practice some weekend, I was out power for 7 days. Used several AA lights. Didn’t need to charge or change a cell. I used eneloops and some rayovac rechargables.

kramer5150
kramer5150's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 05/19/2010 - 13:43
Posts: 2331
Location: Palo Alto CA

lisa3070 wrote:
kramer5150 wrote:
Well... theres really only one way to find out. Just get an alkaline cell and try it out. Not all alkaline batteries are created equal too. Some are longer running than others for low drain applications. It would be presumptuous to just assume a product doesn't meet Akaline spec without actually testing. The other aspect you are neglecting is the discharge characteristics of Alkaline versus nimh. Alkalines at very low current gradually deplete their output. So at these low currents its not always cut and dry. Oh also, eneloops may not be actually 2000mah. My understanding is they gradually lose capacity, especially when they are repeatedly deep discharged way down. So there can be a lot of variables. Anyways... For whatever reason, ultra low candle modes (fraction of a lumen) are almost always not featured on budget-affordable lights. The thrunite T10 has a .2 Lumen ultra low mode from a 1.2V battery (presumably an eneloop pro). This might get you to 80 hours and with a 240 hour spec I would fully expect it to. https://www.amazon.com/ThruNite-flashlight-single-hand-operation-Flashli... I just got a TH20 headlamp. Its spec reads, With AA 2450mAh (eneloop pro I would assume) = 14 day run time at its .3 Lumen firefly mode. This headlamp has replaced my $$$ Zebralight and I am very impressed with its overall quality for the $ spent. I would expect similar levels of quality from the T10. Anyways... Good Luck!!! At ~$8 I still think you got a GREAT light for the money.
The t10 thrunite..rates 40 hour runtime at 13 lumens , using a nimh - 1.2 volt battery. I would guess that is accurate specs. My XTAR only gets 28 hours at 3 lumens with 1.2 volt eneloop battery.....so we can see the difference in quality/ runtimes .

 

The XPG-R5 in that Xtar is also a few years old (IIRC).  So from a Lumens / watt efficiency standpoint, its not going to match up well against the newer XPL used on those thrunite lights.  I will try and get some tailcap current draw measurements later today from the TH20... just to see on paper what kind of run times I "should" be getting from a 2000 mah eneloop.

lisa3070
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 16:30
Posts: 68
chadvone wrote:
Practice some weekend, I was out power for 7 days. Used several AA lights. Didn’t need to charge or change a cell. I used eneloops and some rayovac rechargables.

Well I own a sunnwayman D50A ..and I think on moonlight mode, it will go for 7 days .

The technology will soon be here, where long runtime moonlight modes using eneloops, are for sale around $10 each.

1 -3 lumens would be sufficient for my applications.

lisa3070
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 16:30
Posts: 68

Does anyone have a long runtime moonlight mode LED light that uses 1 AA/AAA and they want to trade for 1 of my XTARS ?

I dont care about hi lumen output or different modes. Im looking for a small led light, that puts out 1-3 lumens for at least 48 hours or more on a eneloop 2000 mah battery. I would be putting a light diffuser on the head of it.

Lazy-R-us
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 00:30
Posts: 685
Location: Carolinas, USA

lisa3070 wrote:

The eneloop , I used for this test…was fully charged at a slow rate…capacity read 2019 Mahs….it was then put right in the light, and turned on moonlight mode for testing. This eneloop, did not sit on a shelf for days or weeks, where it would lose capacity. I did this test, because I actually thought it would be incredible, if the XTAR got anywhere close to the 80 hour runtime as claimed.

The point I was trying to make was that unless you have a better crystal ball than I do, when you suddenly discover that you need these emergency lights, Murphys law states that most of your eneloops will be drained and waiting to charge. Energizer Advanced Lithium cells are claiming a 12 year shelf life. So they should be in better shape then those eneloops.

PS – don’t be surprised if the shelf life is substantially less than 12 years!

PPS – advertising is worse than politics when it comes to honesty, sorry to break the news.

Lazy-R-us

lisa3070
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 16:30
Posts: 68

Lazy-R-us wrote:
lisa3070 wrote:

The eneloop , I used for this test…was fully charged at a slow rate…capacity read 2019 Mahs….it was then put right in the light, and turned on moonlight mode for testing. This eneloop, did not sit on a shelf for days or weeks, where it would lose capacity. I did this test, because I actually thought it would be incredible, if the XTAR got anywhere close to the 80 hour runtime as claimed.

The point I was trying to make was that unless you have a better crystal ball than I do, when you suddenly discover that you need these emergency lights, Murphys law states that most of your eneloops will be drained and waiting to charge. Energizer Advanced Lithium cells are claiming a 12 year shelf life. So they should be in better shape then those eneloops.

PS – don’t be surprised if the shelf life is substantially less than 12 years!

PPS – advertising is worse than politics when it comes to honesty, sorry to break the news.

I do a monthly recharge on all my eneloops, even if they have just been sitting on the shelf.
But most people dont do this, so your points are well taken.

I imagine the price difference between the Energizer advanced lithiums, and the eneloops, is substantial ?

chadvone
chadvone's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 08/28/2015 - 23:48
Posts: 2019
Location: Iowa
lisa3070 wrote:
chadvone wrote:
Practice some weekend, I was out power for 7 days. Used several AA lights. Didn’t need to charge or change a cell. I used eneloops and some rayovac rechargables.

Well I own a sunnwayman D50A ..and I think on moonlight mode, it will go for 7 days .

The technology will soon be here, where long runtime moonlight modes using eneloops, are for sale around $10 each.

1 -3 lumens would be sufficient for my applications.

Just use the sunnwayman D50A then……… Problem solved……..

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 1034
Location: Sweden

lisa3070 wrote:
I will also say, this XTAR at 3 lumens moonlight mode, with a light diffuser , gave off enough light to keep my bedroom nicely illumniated…and my bedroom measures 16 ft x 16 ft…

I really think a moonlight mode of only 1.5 lumens, would work nicely, for my needs, as long as it ran for min 48 hours on eneloops and was budget priced. I would order several of them .

Actually there should be a market for such a light. Storm shelter type, camping etc.
Single AA, single mode (5 lumens or so) with built in diffuser.
Preferably sporting a warmwhite high CRI Nichia 219B.
With only a single mode, it should be easier to optimize the electronics for a really long run time, without making it expensive.

Lazy-R-us
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 00:30
Posts: 685
Location: Carolinas, USA

Yes, Energizer Advanced Lithium (EAL) are pretty expensive. And while just now looking for a price, I realize that EAL is last weeks technology. Now we have Energizer ULTIMATE Lithium (EUL) which are claiming a 20 year shelf life for AA cells, Amazon has them in a 4 pack for $5.89 which is $1.47 each.

In response to your previous post, I would suggest that you try a Manker A01, which according to this thread was pushing 100 hours on moonlight from a AAA dollar store battery.

I have several of these, in use in places from Keychain lights for my kids to zipper pulls on my tents. We might be able to trade if you are still interested.

[edit to add]
More than a few people have suggested that embiggerizing the A01 to a AA battery and changing nothing else would be a great idea. I don’t know what is keeping Manker from doing so.

Lazy-R-us

lisa3070
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 16:30
Posts: 68

Lazy-R-us wrote:
Yes, Energizer Advanced Lithium (EAL) are pretty expensive. And while just now looking for a price, I realize that EAL is last weeks technology. Now we have Energizer ULTIMATE Lithium (EUL) which are claiming a 20 year shelf life for AA cells, Amazon has them in a 4 pack for $5.89 which is $1.47 each.

In response to your previous post, I would suggest that you try a Manker A01, which according to this thread was pushing 100 hours on moonlight from a AAA dollar store battery.

I have several of these, in use in places from Keychain lights for my kids to zipper pulls on my tents. We might be able to trade if you are still interested.

[edit to add]
More than a few people have suggested that embiggerizing the A01 to a AA battery and changing nothing else would be a great idea. I don’t know what is keeping Manker from doing so.

Manker A01…what is moonlight mode lumens ? I may be interested in a trade, if you are.

The lithium batteries, dont seem to be higher priced then eneloops…..4 pack of lithium for 5.89….oh wait, they arent rechargeable..right ?

kramer5150
kramer5150's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 05/19/2010 - 13:43
Posts: 2331
Location: Palo Alto CA

lisa3070 wrote:
Lazy-R-us wrote:
Yes, Energizer Advanced Lithium (EAL) are pretty expensive. And while just now looking for a price, I realize that EAL is last weeks technology. Now we have Energizer ULTIMATE Lithium (EUL) which are claiming a 20 year shelf life for AA cells, Amazon has them in a 4 pack for $5.89 which is $1.47 each.

In response to your previous post, I would suggest that you try a Manker A01, which according to this thread was pushing 100 hours on moonlight from a AAA dollar store battery.

I have several of these, in use in places from Keychain lights for my kids to zipper pulls on my tents. We might be able to trade if you are still interested.

[edit to add]
More than a few people have suggested that embiggerizing the A01 to a AA battery and changing nothing else would be a great idea. I don’t know what is keeping Manker from doing so.

Manker A01…what is moonlight mode lumens ? I may be interested in a trade, if you are.

The lithium batteries, dont seem to be higher priced then eneloops…..4 pack of lithium for 5.89….oh wait, they arent rechargeable..right ?

Correct… one time use only

lisa3070
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 16:30
Posts: 68

RollerBoySE wrote:
lisa3070 wrote:
I will also say, this XTAR at 3 lumens moonlight mode, with a light diffuser , gave off enough light to keep my bedroom nicely illumniated…and my bedroom measures 16 ft x 16 ft…

I really think a moonlight mode of only 1.5 lumens, would work nicely, for my needs, as long as it ran for min 48 hours on eneloops and was budget priced. I would order several of them .

Actually there should be a market for such a light. Storm shelter type, camping etc.
Single AA, single mode (5 lumens or so) with built in diffuser.
Preferably sporting a warmwhite high CRI Nichia 219B.
With only a single mode, it should be easier to optimize the electronics for a really long run time, without making it expensive.

I agree 100%

a single mode of around 3 lumens, with diffuser attachment in AA/AAA configuration that runs for 3 days or more..for $10 . This seems like a hit to me….

or

a dual mode with 2 lumens low that runs for 3 days or more and a hi mode of 60 lumens with a built in magnet on tailcap .

perfect for emergencys, power outages .

reppans
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/20/2012 - 10:47
Posts: 119

I’m a sub-/low- lumens, runtime, AA-size enthusiast; have quite a collection of sub-lumen AA lights; and also test my favorite low lows with a well calibrated lightbox; and I do runtime tests/current measurements.

It’s hard to find good low lows in the budget light range since massive runtime and moonlight lows tend to be more of an “acquired taste” appealing to the enthusiast. I also believe efficient moonlight circuits tend to be pricey. Best if you could find mid-priced lights that are on clearance – I’m sitting on ~dozen boxes of lights you’d probably love for ~$20.

I agree with Lisa that this Xtar light is spec’d for Alks and NiMhs (which is what the specs should be based on) the best of which are going to be 2500-3000 mah range, so maybe ~45 hrs runtime on an Alk. Assuming the 3 lm output is correct (eg, you could have 6 lm sample variation that yields twice the output at half the run time), even getting half the spec’d lumen-hours is pretty darn good from a light in this price range. As an example my ZL SC52 claimed a 170 lm-hrs (2000mah Eneloop) moonlight (0.34 lm, 500 hrs), while my sample tests ~24 lm-hrs (0.08 lm, 300 hrs), or 1/7th spec…. now that was disappointing.

I have similar multipleX over-exaggeration experience with Thrunite, Armytek, and Olight in the sub-/low- lumen modes…. not that these brands are inefficient, rather they are just not nearly as efficient as they claim in their low lows. Olight claiming 300 lm-hrs (0.5×600) from a “AA/14500” hahaha …maybe from a SAFT 14500 lithium-thionyl chloride primary. I have two S15s and the moonlight outputs were closer to 1/3rd spec (too dim for me).

Best low lumen: mode spacing, regulation, efficiency, consistency, and spec accuracy I’ve had are from 47 Quarks. Their clearance 1xAAs are currently not listed on eBay so may be sold out, but I’ve seen them disappear, and re-appear a few days later – some folks mentioned they were accepting $19 bids (+ shipping). As mentioned above, the XMLs can be a green tint lottery, but the XPG2s all seem creamy white (although throwy beams), and I’m measuring ~0.45 lms at 8ma (250hrs) and 3.3 lms at 32ma (63hrs) from a 1.28v 2000mah Eneloops on my current EDC. I use this “bright” moonlight/low low combo about 45/45% of the time. Quarks are boost/buck driven (1-4.2v) and are also easy to rig on ANY battery in pinch… (hehe.. almost 3 months on D cell).

Good luck with your decision.

kramer5150
kramer5150's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 05/19/2010 - 13:43
Posts: 2331
Location: Palo Alto CA

reppans wrote:
I’m a sub-/low- lumens, runtime, AA-size enthusiast; have quite a collection of sub-lumen AA lights; and also test my favorite low lows with a well calibrated lightbox; and I do runtime tests/current measurements.

It’s hard to find good low lows in the budget light range since massive runtime and moonlight lows tend to be more of an “acquired taste” appealing to the enthusiast. I also believe efficient moonlight circuits tend to be pricey. Best if you could find mid-priced lights that are on clearance – I’m sitting on ~dozen boxes of lights you’d probably love for ~$20.

I agree with Lisa that this Xtar light is spec’d for Alks and NiMhs (which is what the specs should be based on) the best of which are going to be 2500-3000 mah range, so maybe ~45 hrs runtime on an Alk. Assuming the 3 lm output is correct (eg, you could have 6 lm sample variation that yields twice the output at half the run time), even getting half the spec’d lumen-hours is pretty darn good from a light in this price range. As an example my ZL SC52 claimed a 170 lm-hrs (2000mah Eneloop) moonlight (0.34 lm, 500 hrs), while my sample tests ~24 lm-hrs (0.08 lm, 300 hrs), or 1/7th spec…. now that was disappointing.

I have similar multipleX over-exaggeration experience with Thrunite, Armytek, and Olight in the sub-/low- lumen modes…. not that these brands are inefficient, rather they are just not nearly as efficient as they claim in their low lows. Olight claiming 300 lm-hrs (0.5×600) from a “AA/14500” hahaha …maybe from a SAFT 14500 lithium-thionyl chloride primary. I have two S15s and the moonlight outputs were closer to 1/3rd spec (too dim for me).

Best low lumen: mode spacing, regulation, efficiency, consistency, and spec accuracy I’ve had are from 47 Quarks. Their clearance 1xAAs are currently not listed on eBay so may be sold out, but I’ve seen them disappear, and re-appear a few days later – some folks mentioned they were accepting $19 bids (+ shipping). As mentioned above, the XMLs can be a green tint lottery, but the XPG2s all seem creamy white (although throwy beams), and I’m measuring ~0.45 lms at 8ma (250hrs) and 3.3 lms at 32ma (63hrs) from a 1.28v 2000mah Eneloops on my current EDC. I use this “bright” moonlight/low low combo about 45/45% of the time. Quarks are boost/buck driven (1-4.2v) and are also easy to rig on ANY battery in pinch… (hehe.. almost 3 months on D cell).

Good luck with your decision.

I hadn’t thought about that. I too have a 47 Quark (1-AA) from 4-5 years back with an XPG-R5. Its low-candle mode is around .2 Lumens, supposedly only draws 1mA, and in theory should run for many days depending on the capacity of the AA used. Its low mode is 4 Lumens and draws 10mA. I hadn’t thought about ebay and the used / discontinued market… good suggestion!!

reppans
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/20/2012 - 10:47
Posts: 119
kramer5150 wrote:
…I hadn’t thought about that. I too have a 47 Quark (1-AA) from 4-5 years back with an XPG-R5. Its low-candle mode is around .2 Lumens, supposedly only draws 1mA, and in theory should run for many days depending on the capacity of the AA used. Its low mode is 4 Lumens and draws 10mA. I hadn’t thought about ebay and the used / discontinued market… good suggestion!!

hehe… can’t be 1 / 10 ma on 1xNiMh… that would imply 2000 / 200 hrs – I list the 1xNiMh ma current draws in the last paragraph above, and 1×14500 will draw about 1/3 those numbers with output current regulated stone flat. The moonlight output has come up a lot since then – I love bright moonlights, which are my primary use modes for camping and power outages. So many manufacturers overstate their ML modes by multiples (as I mentioned above)… very hard to find a true “bright” moonlight… I quit looking – too many disappointments, but I will admit to being a low lumen mode spacing snob.

These are new in box lights btw… no warranty though.

reppans
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/20/2012 - 10:47
Posts: 119

Actually, now that you mention it, I do recall mention of the 1ma, 10ma thing on 47s site way back…. I think those were the currents delivered to the LED at its Vf (forward voltage) so that’s after the boost (or buck) drivers and regulator feedback loop (what ever it’s called). The head runs so many different battery tube configs, that battery current draw would have need a spreadsheet to map out.

kramer5150
kramer5150's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 05/19/2010 - 13:43
Posts: 2331
Location: Palo Alto CA
reppans wrote:
Actually, now that you mention it, I do recall mention of the 1ma, 10ma thing on 47s site way back…. I think those were the currents delivered to the LED at its Vf (forward voltage) so that’s after the boost (or buck) drivers and regulator feedback loop (what ever it’s called). The head runs so many different battery tube configs, that battery current draw would have need a spreadsheet to map out.

Oh ok then… I mis-read the details. I was thinking the 1mA and 10mA were tailcap current draw ratings.

lisa3070
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 16:30
Posts: 68

Great info !

Thanks for the help

If anyone has a long runtime moonlight led light in AA/AAA configuration and they want to do a trade for my XTAR, let me know.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 17125
Location: nyc

lisa3070 wrote:
Appreciate the replies.

If this XTAR would have gotten 60% of its rated runtime of 80 hours, with my eneloops, I woulda been happy. Only getting 28 hours out of a rated 80 hours, is quite a difference. I was expecting to get around 55-60 hours runtime , so I am dissapointed , but its no big monetary loss.

Ill probably just wait till a good sale comes for what I need or new technology comes out in 2017 to get the longer runtimes on moonlight mode using eneloops.

I did not want to have to buy all new batteries . I like the eneloops and their performance overall. I still think the XTAR suffers from severely over rated specs and this is to be expected for a $7.00 light.

Just to point out something no one mentioned, at really low currents, the Vf of an XP-G2 is 2.65V. For a 1.5V alkie, it has to boost its full voltage by 1.8× (76% more) to get there. For a 1.2V NiMH cell, it’s 2.2× (121% more).

That’s almost a 2:1 difference in boost, meaning that the 1.2V cell has to put out that much more current to get the same level of output.

Think about how a 2-cell flashlight only has to put out half the current to get the same amperage to the LED as when using 1 cell. This case is similar, that instead of having 1.5V to play with, your eneloop only has 1.2V, or 0.3V less (25% of its voltage).

To take it to a ridiculous extreme, if you had a boost converter that could run off 0.15V, it’d have to put out 10× the current as the 1.5V cell.

And these cells are rated in mAH, not mWH, so 1A from a 1.5V cell is 1.5W, but from a 1.2V cell is only 1.2W. To get the same 1.5W from a 1.2V cell, that’s 1.25A, not the original 1.00A.

And of course, that’s not taking into account voltage drop from any pass elements, etc. 0.2V from a saturated bipolar xstr is a lot bigger to the 1.2V cell than a 1.5V cell.

Ugh… all these numbers make my head hurt. Just keep in mind that not all mAHs are created equal.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 17125
Location: nyc
RollerBoySE wrote:
Actually there should be a market for such a light. Storm shelter type, camping etc. Single AA, single mode (5 lumens or so) with built in diffuser. Preferably sporting a warmwhite high CRI Nichia 219B. With only a single mode, it should be easier to optimize the electronics for a really long run time, without making it expensive.

You’d always have (significant) boost losses with a 1×AA light. Better to 3-up the cells to 3.6V (NiMH) and connect it across the LED through the right value resistor.

I wouldn’t waste a high-CRI LED at such low output levels. Red items would tend to look black anyway (Purkinje effect), so ironically an Angry Blue max-output LED would be best.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

reppans
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/20/2012 - 10:47
Posts: 119

Lightbringer wrote:

Just to point out something no one mentioned, at really low currents, the Vf of an XP-G2 is 2.65V. For a 1.5V alkie, it has to boost its full voltage by 1.8× (76% more) to get there. For a 1.2V NiMH cell, it’s 2.2× (121% more).

That’s almost a 2:1 difference in boost, meaning that the 1.2V cell has to put out that much more current to get the same level of output…

There’s no differential – the “1.5” nominal V of an Alk is near its peak charge while the “1.2” nominal of a NiMh is a dead cell. If you load up HKJ’s AA comparator, and compare an Eneloop to any Alkaline at 0.1A (the OPs runtime test implies 0.07A , so quite close) you will find that the AVERAGE voltage though the batteries discharge curves to be virtually identical, and the 2450 Eneloop Pro will be a bit better than Alks (so add 25-30% to the OPs runtime).

I find it kinda funny that folks are trying to defend/justify a $10 light’s manufacturer specs. I see plenty of mid-priced lights that are much further off than this in the low lows that reviewers rarely test. Actually, I’m impressed that this light’s other mode specs only claim ~180 lumen-hours per AA (very realistic) vs some claims I see from 1AA Thurnites (near 800! lumen-hours) and Armyteks/Olights (~400 lm-hrs).

The big hole in this test is that the OP has no way of measuring the output. For example, I have a SWM D40A that spec’d low at 30lms for 30hrs (900 lm-hrs) and my sample metered 15 lms, but a runtime test yielded 60 hours (2000mah Eneloops) so still 900 lms-hrs efficiency, and I was really happy to have the lower, longer runtime low (it’s moonlight is also quite accurate for output and runtime, btw).

Assuming we already all own smartphones and multi-meters, for a additional $5 BLF plumbing elbow “lighbox,” you can easily test your own lights for output and runtime and find out which manufacturers are full of it.

lisa3070
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 16:30
Posts: 68

reppans wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:

Just to point out something no one mentioned, at really low currents, the Vf of an XP-G2 is 2.65V. For a 1.5V alkie, it has to boost its full voltage by 1.8× (76% more) to get there. For a 1.2V NiMH cell, it’s 2.2× (121% more).

That’s almost a 2:1 difference in boost, meaning that the 1.2V cell has to put out that much more current to get the same level of output…

There’s no differential – the “1.5” nominal V of an Alk is near its peak charge while the “1.2” nominal of a NiMh is a dead cell. If you load up HKJ’s AA comparator, and compare an Eneloop to any Alkaline at 0.1A (the OPs runtime test implies 0.07A , so quite close) you will find that the AVERAGE voltage though the batteries discharge curves to be virtually identical, and the 2450 Eneloop Pro will be a bit better than Alks (so add 25-30% to the OPs runtime).

I find it kinda funny that folks are trying to defend/justify a $10 light’s manufacturer specs. I see plenty of mid-priced lights that are much further off than this in the low lows that reviewers rarely test. Actually, I’m impressed that this light’s other mode specs only claim ~180 lumen-hours per AA (very realistic) vs some claims I see from 1AA Thurnites (near 800! lumen-hours) and Armyteks/Olights (~400 lm-hrs).

The big hole in this test is that the OP has no way of measuring the output. For example, I have a SWM D40A that spec’d low at 30lms for 30hrs (900 lm-hrs) and my sample metered 15 lms, but a runtime test yielded 60 hours (2000mah Eneloops) so still 900 lms-hrs efficiency, and I was really happy to have the lower, longer runtime low (it’s moonlight is also quite accurate for output and runtime, btw).

Assuming we already all own smartphones and multi-meters, for a additional $5 BLF plumbing elbow “lighbox,” you can easily test your own lights for output and runtime and find out which manufacturers are full of it.

Thanks for your reply.

This is what I was claiming about this XTAR that with a properly and fully charged 2000 MAH eneloop only getting 28 hours runtime , I find it difficult to believe the manufacturers claims that it would get 80 hours with a alkaline battery. Then, we had a poster trying to make me like foolish, by claiming the 80 hour runtime, was specifically for lithium battery, which the manufacturer doesnt even mention on their spec sheet ….the only 2 batteries they mention are nimh/alkaline .

For about $8 , this XTAR is a good light …but I was only interested in it for the long runtime on moonlight mode, which it does not perform as rated.

unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4344
Location: USA

Why not make the hop to a compact 18650 tube light? Sounds like you already do a lot of NiMH recharges.

Something like a convoy S series, with the new firmware would be less than $20, and an 18650 is not much more than an eneloop cell.

Tons more power & much more runtime.

Or if you wanted something very specific you could probably buy a single mode driver programmed for X% output.

lisa3070
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 16:30
Posts: 68

unknown00101 wrote:
Why not make the hop to a compact 18650 tube light? Sounds like you already do a lot of NiMH recharges.

Something like a convoy S series, with the new firmware would be less than $20, and an 18650 is not much more than an eneloop cell.

Tons more power & much more runtime.

Or if you wanted something very specific you could probably buy a single mode driver programmed for X% output.

IMHO, it wont be long before we start to see LED manufacturers offer very long runtime flashlights on single AA/AAA , in moonlight mode for low prices. The technology gets better every few months and I think some companies will start to see profit potential in this untapped area of lighting. For my needs , a small 2 mode LED light that provided 2 lumens @ 3 days or more and 100 lumens for 30 minutes on a single AA/AAA eneloop battery , for around $10 would be great. No need for strobe or numerous other modes.

lisa3070
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 16:30
Posts: 68

On the Jetbeam JET – I MK LED Flashlight , the manufacturer is showing it with a ENELOOP battery and claiming 100 hours runtime on 1.5 lumen mode . Has anyone tested this to see if it gets near 100 hours on a fully charged 2000 MAH eneloop AA battery ?

timbo114
timbo114's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 08/21/2014 - 14:24
Posts: 496
Location: On a lake in SW PA

Just buy a FourSevens Atom A0 and enjoy the TRUE moonlight run time.

AAA cell Voltage Range 1.0V to 1.5V

Low: 0.24 lumens for 120 hours
High: 25 lumens for 1.5 hour

Discount Coupon: CPF12
Free shipping

lightx
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/22/2016 - 14:38
Posts: 297
lisa3070 wrote:
On the Jetbeam JET – I MK LED Flashlight , the manufacturer is showing it with a ENELOOP battery and claiming 100 hours runtime on 1.5 lumen mode . Has anyone tested this to see if it gets near 100 hours on a fully charged 2000 MAH eneloop AA battery ?

I own it but never done runtime test on lowest mode. Most people only test runtime on turbo and high (and sometimes medium) mode only. And I have never seen people do runtime testing of a light on its lowest mode as it would take too much time.

But I can tell that JET-I MK is currently one of the best budget AA light.

lisa3070
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 16:30
Posts: 68

timbo114 wrote:
Just buy a FourSevens Atom A0 and enjoy the TRUE moonlight run time.
FourSevens home
AAA cell Voltage Range 1.0V to 1.5V

Low: 0.24 lumens for 120 hours
High: 25 lumens for 1.5 hour

Im not sure .24 lumens, is bright enough to light up our storm shelter enough. I think I would need 1- 3 lumens…or bare minimum of .5 lumens with light diffuser attached.

timbo114
timbo114's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 08/21/2014 - 14:24
Posts: 496
Location: On a lake in SW PA

Atom AO is a mule that can light the entire ceiling – no need for a diffuser – AND it has a magnetic base.

Pages