3 D Maglite mods

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
AZguy
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 01/05/2018 - 09:53
Posts: 7
Location: Tucson, AZ
3 D Maglite mods

I’m a firefighter/ EMT and I have a couple good lights I use at work. Recently we have had issues with peoples dogs on calls and I wanted something that could work as a search light from the truck and a weapon for defense if need be. I have a a 3D Maglite but it’s too dim to be really useful.

I’m probably going to get this drop in kit for it,

https://asflashlights.com/led-upgrades-for-maglite/107-conversion-kit-fo...

Anyone have any experience with it. I was emailing the guy and he seemed really cool and can machine a brass space to take place for the 3rd D cell since this kit would use 2 26660s in a sleeve instead of the factory 3Ds.

What do you guys think?

sgt253
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 11/27/2015 - 21:21
Posts: 73
Location: USA

Hey AZguy, Welcome to BLF. Thanks for your service to the Community. Matt (Adventure Sport Flashlights) is a knowledgeable and talented flashlight designer/creator/reviewer. He is on the boards here as Vesture of Blood. You will love his products. Quality and performance that he stands behind 100%. Good choice and good luck!

Best.

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 1291
Location: usa

or you can just get factory maglite ml300 that is making 600lm and runs on regular 3 d cells. and cost about 40 bucks.

mmalive
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:56
Posts: 1163
Location: Earth

AZguy, Welcome to the boards. You are better of buying a new flashlight with very good lumen output. The Maglite Mods are quite expensive.

NOT” worth it unless you really have nostalgia purposes for the upgrade.

Here’s the flashlights I use that could be used as defensive tool if needed. Price and lumen out vary but all very bright

1. Home Depot Husky 1000 lumen 3 D cell good heft and brightest from Husky

2. Home Depot Husky 650 lumen 3 D cell good heft and 2nd brightest from Husky

3. Home Depot Defiant 350 lumen 4 AA cell good heft baseball bat shaped

4. Walmart Ozark Trail 360 lumen 4 AA cell focusing good heft baseball bat shaped

5. Walmart Ozark Trail 200 lumen 3 AA cell baseball bat shaped

There are many others out there that can be used as defensive tool if needed. These ones listed here are more readily available.

With Maglite Upgrades to decent lumen output will cost $55 to $200 plus with all extras.

You are just better off buying way better flashlight.

mmalive
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:56
Posts: 1163
Location: Earth
alpg88 wrote:
or you can just get factory maglite ml300 that is making 600lm and runs on regular 3 d cells. and cost about 40 bucks.

You mean 625 lumens correct? I know because I own one. LOLZ.

AZguy
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 01/05/2018 - 09:53
Posts: 7
Location: Tucson, AZ

Thanks for the advice guys. I know another light is probably the most logical choice but when using it as a search light out of the truck I feel like 5000 would be worth extra money. I also feel like the aluminum body of the Maglite might be tougher than the others.

I may grab one of the huskies though and at least give it a try, for 50 bucks it’s worth trying.

The main light I use at work is the Fenix PD35 which has pretty good output and is small so I just keep it on my pocket. So I think I want a difference in brightness big enough to be useful more as a longer range search light than a hand held flashlight since I have my other light.

mmalive
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:56
Posts: 1163
Location: Earth

AZguy wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys. I know another light is probably the most logical choice but when using it as a search light out of the truck I feel like 5000 would be worth extra money. I also feel like the aluminum body of the Maglite might be tougher than the others.

I may grab one of the huskies though and at least give it a try, for 50 bucks it’s worth trying.

The main light I use at work is the Fenix PD35 which has pretty good output and is small so I just keep it on my pocket. So I think I want a difference in brightness big enough to be useful more as a longer range search light than a hand held flashlight since I have my other light.

Did you know why Husky is virtually unbreakable branded? Check out some youtube videos to see why? The aluminum is much thicker walled than Maglite. Beam throw range is 350 – 380 meters with 650 – 1000 lumens make it a great search light.

You mentioned you wanted “ weapon “ if dogs attacked you during search. Defensive tool is term I use. Use one of ones I suggested for best results which include both Husky’s.

Couchmaster
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 05/04/2016 - 17:11
Posts: 582
Location: USA

I did a Malkoff drop in for my old fav Maglite. Worst money I’ve ever spent, except that I get to keep the memories of the old thing. The Fenix PD35 noted upthread won’t konk any bad guys on the head, but if you get that and some mace, together they will weigh less than a maglite AND work better for those funtions:-)

If you want to konk a bag guy on the head, check out the BLF GT. Might be illegal it’s so large:-)

dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut

I like Maglites, but a 3-D Husky will do more damage than a 3-D Maglite

Here is a 3-D Mag next to a 3-D Defiant which is the father of the 3-D Husky

mmalive
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:56
Posts: 1163
Location: Earth

Couchmaster wrote:
I did a Malkoff drop in for my old fav Maglite. Worst money I’ve ever spent, except that I get to keep the memories of the old thing. The Fenix PD35 noted upthread won’t konk any bad guys on the head, but if you get that and some mace, together they will weigh less than a maglite AND work better for those funtions:-)

If you want to konk a bag guy on the head, check out the BLF GT. Might be illegal it’s so large:-)

Yeah man. I was thinking of doing Maglite Mod myself. I have 5 d cell Mag. But with cost I am better off buying new light with better lumen output. Also, I could get higher end flashlight like Fenix T75 2018 with batterry extension tubes to make defensive tool and double runtime output.

mmalive
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:56
Posts: 1163
Location: Earth

dchomak wrote:
I like Maglites, but a 3-D Husky will do more damage than a 3-D Maglite

Here is a 3-D Mag next to a 3-D Defiant which is the father of the 3-D Husky
!{width:60%}[url=https://imgur.com/AMw97Ih][img]http://i.imgur.com/AMw97Ih.jpg[/img][/url]!

Was the Defiant 3 D Armormax? If so, what was lumen output?

dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut

Yes it is, 600 Lumen

Gebe
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 05/11/2013 - 17:04
Posts: 825
Location: State Of Jefferson

Too bad the old ROP, (Roar of the Pelican), Pelican bulbs aren’t available anymore. It was an inexpensive way of hot rodding Maglites with the Pelican bulb and glass lens, aluminum reflector and AA battery holders.

I also would like to say I stumbled upon some lights called Techlite Lumen Masters. They are triple XP-G lights and even though they are older LED technology, the two I purchased, (4XC and 3XD), have pure white beams and they are much thicker walled than Maglites and way, way brighter.

They were only $15.00 each and were sold at Costco at one time and maybe still are but they are still available on the internet if you search. Purists will hold their noses talking about them but I like them.

mmalive
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:56
Posts: 1163
Location: Earth
dchomak wrote:
Yes it is, 600 Lumen !{width:100%}[url=https://imgur.com/3VvzQFi][img]http://i.imgur.com/3VvzQFi.jpg[/img][/url]!

WOW, you still have original packaging or is it an extra?

Terry Oregon
Terry Oregon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 10/21/2017 - 17:03
Posts: 626
Location: Grants Pass Oregon

Quote:
I was emailing the guy and he seemed really cool and can machine a brass space to take place for the 3rd D cell since this kit would use 2 26660s in a sleeve instead of the factory 3Ds. What do you guys think?

 

Mat certainly knows what he's doing. However, 5K lumens is only temporary. I once asked Mat how long 5K lumens could be sustained on his modded Maglite, here's the reply he gave me:

 

Quote:
You can run the 5k bulb wide open for about 10 minutes and then you will need to turn it down.   There is no preset turbo timer, but you can set one for any amount of time you prefer.
 

Mat also talks about five Maglite mods in this YouTube video HERE

.

My reviews: , My personal collection of lights LINK,  J5 Tactical V1 Pro review LINK,  Thirteen Optical Sensors review LINKZebralight SC700d review LINK,  Ray-O-Vac Super Power Sportsman review LINK,  Convoy S2+ color combos LINK,  How To flash D4V2 LINK,  Convoy S21A LINK

AZguy
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 01/05/2018 - 09:53
Posts: 7
Location: Tucson, AZ

Thanks guys, you convinced me to try the husky. That’s the exact reason I joined up on here, getting a bunch of opinions from people who know what their talking about definitely saves me some time and money. I definitely don’t plan on konking any bad guys as couchmaster said lol, but having something with a little weight and reach will be great when one of these crazy dogs gets to us.

Seems like the husky has better lumen output, thicker walls, and cheaper. Definitely a no brained to get one of those. Can you guys think of any other lights I should look at?

mmalive
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:56
Posts: 1163
Location: Earth

AZguy wrote:
Thanks guys, you convinced me to try the husky. That’s the exact reason I joined up on here, getting a bunch of opinions from people who know what their talking about definitely saves me some time and money. I definitely don’t plan on konking any bad guys as couchmaster said lol, but having something with a little weight and reach will be great when one of these crazy dogs gets to us.

Seems like the husky has better lumen output, thicker walls, and cheaper. Definitely a no brained to get one of those. Can you guys think of any other lights I should look at?

Well, for heft, beam throw, lumens go with Hustky.

The other light with heft and good throw distance would be Stansport. I sports a good 580 lumens .

BTW, I have some of those lights mentioned for sale. All are still sealed or taken out for testing. Not even in use. Touch bases if you need.

Zener
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: 12/28/2017 - 01:29
Posts: 35
Location: West Virginia

Hey AZguy. I’m fairly new here too, and many others will have more knowledge than me, but there’s something about a Maglite. I see lots of forum threads about them. Everyone is correct about “for the money” there are better lights. I also use the Fenix PD35Tac and like it very well, and recently got the Fenix TK47UE which is amazing, along with a couple of Malkoffs which are also ama$ing.

But at some point when you have all of the light & runtime you need, and some extra $$, what cooler light to fix up for fighting off coyotes than a Maglite? Everyone knows it, recognizes it, and to me, they look cool, like the Harley Davidson of flashlights. Big, heavy, slow, consistent, and keeps a following of all ages. Maybe being a USA brand helps, but they sure seem to keep selling.

I do carry 3D LED Mags in both trucks as backups, because of the durability, design, and defense purposes as you mentioned, and may upgrade a 4D soon.

Not to say that the other ones mentioned aren’t a great value as a work light. I’m enjoying the cost and performance in the LED & battery industry these days.

See my thread I’m going to start about another LED upgrade that I’ve been wondering if anyone has tried.

Zen

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 1291
Location: usa

leds do not do good in smoke, at least the ones not designed for it, too much spill, you’l light up every smoke particle around you.
i had 3d xml light from home depot, good light when there is no smoke or fog.

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 1291
Location: usa
mmalive wrote:
alpg88 wrote:
or you can just get factory maglite ml300 that is making 600lm and runs on regular 3 d cells. and cost about 40 bucks.

You mean 625 lumens correct? I know because I own one. LOLZ.


yea that one.
dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut
mmalive wrote:
dchomak wrote:
Yes it is, 600 Lumen !{width:100%}[url=https://imgur.com/3VvzQFi][img]http://i.imgur.com/3VvzQFi.jpg[/img][/url]!

WOW, you still have original packaging or is it an extra?

I have quite a few extras, bought when they went on clearance.

mmalive
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:56
Posts: 1163
Location: Earth
dchomak wrote:
mmalive wrote:
dchomak wrote:
Yes it is, 600 Lumen !{width:100%}[url=https://imgur.com/3VvzQFi][img]http://i.imgur.com/3VvzQFi.jpg[/img][/url]!

WOW, you still have original packaging or is it an extra?

I have quite a few extras, bought when they went on clearance.

I have been trying to locate 1 of those since I started collecting flashlights. BTW, how it compared to the Husky 650 and 1000 flashlights now? As far as heft. I see it loses out in lumens and beam distance.

dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut

I don’t think the head is as big. I have neither of those 2 lights.
It is an impressive looking light.