Driver giveaway: Constant current 17mm drivers, winners (finally) announced, post #2.

260 posts / 0 new
Last post
Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6801
Location: Ślōnsk

Mike C wrote:
Agro wrote:
Though low temperature solder seems like a reasonable workaround. Wink

You’re welcome to try! Let me know how it goes. You make the switch work, I’ll make the UI work Big Smile

For me UI is way easier than PCB though I do intend to do at least some tests once my Mouser purchase list reaches the free shipping threshold. Wink
Mike C
Mike C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 01/22/2014 - 08:03
Posts: 2578
Location: Sweden

Agro wrote:
I do intend to do at least some tests once my Mouser purchase list reaches the free shipping threshold. Wink

If you get them dual action switches working fine after soldering, can you update me on the model and soldering method?

I never have issues with filling up Mouser carts for free shipping, too many projects ongoing Blushing This is the latest:

Mike C
Mike C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 01/22/2014 - 08:03
Posts: 2578
Location: Sweden

A general update on giveaway drivers: I’ve reached the point where I think the firmware is fine for giveaway. Far from all the functionality is implemented but I don’t really expect most features to be useful for anyone other than myself anyway. The main functionality is working and most of the quirks have been addressed.

I’m heading for more work related trips next week, and if the world doesn’t freak out about the virus and shut down all borders while I’m gone, I’ll get them in the mail when I get back.

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6779
Location: Portugal

Mike C wrote:
Agro wrote:
I do intend to do at least some tests once my Mouser purchase list reaches the free shipping threshold. Wink

If you get them dual action switches working fine after soldering, can you update me on the model and soldering method?

I never have issues with filling up Mouser carts for free shipping, too many projects ongoing Blushing This is the latest:


Better take some “masks incorporated” “into the light” with you Wink
(Yeah, 2 disguised references to Metallica songs Silly )

BTW, I found out that the OTR i3 w/ Crescendo was working after all. The led got damaged when using 2 cells, the driver didn’t Wink

Your driver I will probably use it with a Osram LED on a light I will probably re-mod again Big Smile

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6801
Location: Ślōnsk

Mike C wrote:
Agro wrote:
I do intend to do at least some tests once my Mouser purchase list reaches the free shipping threshold. Wink

If you get them dual action switches working fine after soldering, can you update me on the model and soldering method?

I never have issues with filling up Mouser carts for free shipping, too many projects ongoing Blushing This is the latest: !https://i.imgur.com/tDppdcH.jpg!


I surely will. TBH I don’t expect much troubles with my SnBi solder paste.
gchart
gchart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 6 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 3127
Location: Central IL

Mouser has free shipping on some orders? I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen that. I wonder if it’s a European / international thing?

Mike C
Mike C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 01/22/2014 - 08:03
Posts: 2578
Location: Sweden


They send with Fedex that take care of customs clearance too, so I don’t have to pay any additional import fees.

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6801
Location: Ślōnsk

Mike C wrote:
They send with Fedex that take care of customs clearance too, so I don’t have to pay any additional import fees.

I don’t understand this part, I haven’t ordered from Mouser yet.
I used to assume that they send from some EU warehouse and so there are no import fees.
But if they don’t, some fees should apply. What does Fedex do to prevent that?
Mike C
Mike C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 01/22/2014 - 08:03
Posts: 2578
Location: Sweden

I can only vouch for ordering from Sweden, but this is how it works here:

In Sweden the postal service has implemented an import fee. This import fee is for the post office that has to do custom declarations in all imported goods from outside EU. This is an attempt to get some money pack from the millions of small $2 packages from China that where declared is gifts.

Fedex have their own customs clearance procedure, they don’t need the postal services to do it so they don’t have to pay this fee. If I send/receive something myself with Fedex I would have to pay some sort of fee, but as this is Mouser sending they obviously have some sort of deal with Fedex. DigiKey has the same with UPS.

For me, ordering as a private person on Mouser, VAT is added to my total on checkout so that is taken care of too. The only difference with DigiKey is that the VAT isn’t added on checkout, I get a separate bill from UPS that only contains VAT. No import fee from DigiKey either. I prefer Mouser though, it’s easier with VAT added on checkout.

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6801
Location: Ślōnsk

I see, thanks for the explanation. Smile

Mike C
Mike C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 01/22/2014 - 08:03
Posts: 2578
Location: Sweden

The drivers are ready to be sent. The firmware isn’t fully finished, but I don’t think it ever will be. Most features “normal” users would want are available, and most settings can be customized by user. I think the main kinks and bugs are worked out. I think (hope) any left will be minor.

Anyhow, I have not been keeping up on any restrictions in terms of postage due to Corona virus situation. I’ll be contacting each giveaway winner by PM to ask if I can send the driver now or if it is preferred to wait.

CRX
CRX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 04/02/2013 - 15:27
Posts: 4231
Location: Scotland
Thumbs Up
Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6801
Location: Ślōnsk

Mike…would you consider giving away Fat-3 schematic?

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7655
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

Mike C wrote:
The drivers are ready to be sent. The firmware isn't fully finished, but I don't think it ever will be. Most features "normal" users would want are available, and most settings can be customized by user. I think the main kinks and bugs are worked out. I think (hope) any left will be minor. Anyhow, I have not been keeping up on any restrictions in terms of postage due to Corona virus situation. I'll be contacting each giveaway winner by PM to ask if I can send the driver now or if it is preferred to wait.

 

   Since I didn't win ... I prefer to wait .

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

Mike C
Mike C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 01/22/2014 - 08:03
Posts: 2578
Location: Sweden

I still haven’t been to the post office. I haven’t done anything of much lately besides working and climbing, I haven’t been very active here either. I keep saying I’m gonna get it done and keep doing nothing about it, sorry about that but they will be sent. Anyhow, I’ll be checking with postal and delivery services before sending anywhere. The US drivers will be sent by Fedex because otherwise they will take for ever. European destinations will be checked case by case but I am sending them with tracking. No costs to any receivers.

Agro wrote:
Mike…would you consider giving away Fat-3 schematic?

Well, they are very specific to the ATtiny3217 which, from what I know, no one else is using. I think only gchart and myself are using the newer series of MCUs and therefore have the kit to flash them. They also use 2 digipots (expensice) taking up a total of 5 mcu pins (I’m powering them from MCU pins too). I don’t think they are of much interest really, they are just too different from what most people here are interested in. The regulators I use a very easy to use, reading the datasheet should provide enough to make drivers based on them and adaptable to current designs out there. With that said I can make a simple schematic without MCU and send it to you, just PM me with the details of what part you are interested in.
Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6801
Location: Ślōnsk

Mike C wrote:
I still haven’t been to the post office. I haven’t done anything of much lately besides working and climbing, I haven’t been very active here either. I keep saying I’m gonna get it done and keep doing nothing about it, sorry about that but they will be sent. Anyhow, I’ll be checking with postal and delivery services before sending anywhere. The US drivers will be sent by Fedex because otherwise they will take for ever. European destinations will be checked case by case but I am sending them with tracking. No costs to any receivers.

Agro wrote:
Mike…would you consider giving away Fat-3 schematic?

Well, they are very specific to the ATtiny3217 which, from what I know, no one else is using. I think only gchart and myself are using the newer series of MCUs and therefore have the kit to flash them. They also use 2 digipots (expensice) taking up a total of 5 mcu pins (I’m powering them from MCU pins too). I don’t think they are of much interest really, they are just too different from what most people here are interested in. The regulators I use a very easy to use, reading the datasheet should provide enough to make drivers based on them and adaptable to current designs out there. With that said I can make a simple schematic without MCU and send it to you, just PM me with the details of what part you are interested in.

PM sent. Thank you. Smile
MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6779
Location: Portugal
Mike C wrote:
I still haven’t been to the post office. I haven’t done anything of much lately besides working and climbing, I haven’t been very active here either. I keep saying I’m gonna get it done and keep doing nothing about it, sorry about that but they will be sent. Anyhow, I’ll be checking with postal and delivery services before sending anywhere. The US drivers will be sent by Fedex because otherwise they will take for ever. European destinations will be checked case by case but I am sending them with tracking. No costs to any receivers.

Thanks again Mike C, and take your time Thumbs Up

Mike C
Mike C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 01/22/2014 - 08:03
Posts: 2578
Location: Sweden

Hi all… sorry to those who waited for the drivers, I have been out of action in regards to light stuff for quite some time. Since the pandemic hit I have been working from home, and work load increased to the point where I could not spend more time in front of computers than I had to, and all driver development and issues with firmware got to be too much so I needed a long break from it all, I couldn’t look at my light stuff without feeling sick.

Anyhow, I’ve been slowly getting back into it since a few weeks ago and have picked up driver and firmware development again but at a much slower pace. I’ve been taking small peaks here now and then, and Loneoceans drivers and willingness to answer my questions have been inspirational in getting me back into finishing my own.

The drivers will be sent out once I get these issues with firmware sorted… hopefully all of those who won the giveaway are still active by the time I finally get them out the door.

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6779
Location: Portugal

Mike C wrote:
Hi all… sorry to those who waited for the drivers, I have been out of action in regards to light stuff for quite some time. Since the pandemic hit I have been working from home, and work load increased to the point where I could not spend more time in front of computers than I had to, and all driver development and issues with firmware got to be too much so I needed a long break from it all, I couldn’t look at my light stuff without feeling sick.

Anyhow, I’ve been slowly getting back into it since a few weeks ago and have picked up driver and firmware development again but at a much slower pace. I’ve been taking small peaks here now and then, and Loneoceans drivers and willingness to answer my questions have been inspirational in getting me back into finishing my own.

The drivers will be sent out once I get these issues with firmware sorted… hopefully all of those who won the giveaway are still active by the time I finally get them out the door.

Hi Mike C Wink
Nice to “hear” from you and that you are well!
Hope you’re having some more time for you and your things Wink

As for the driver, as we talked some time ago, no problems with that, no rushes and take your time! In these times, the mind needs to be where it needs to be so the world doesn’t get an even stranger place !…

So, enjoy and keep well Beer Thumbs Up

Pages