TENAVOLTS AA Lithium 1.5V rechargeable cells

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
flydiver
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 06/19/2013 - 19:16
Posts: 1295
Location: Seattle, WA

Well, that’s a [DUH!] moment. They put those in devices. I guess I could too. Facepalm

To Air is Human, to Respire….Divine.

xxo
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 03/22/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 306

Pete7874 wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:

Anyone have observations that they run down fairly quickly?

Since they run at full 1.5V, they will spend themselves faster than other cells that run at lower voltage.

How many amps does the E03 pull?

Also, when the Tenavolt cell has no more energy to give, it may show 0V on my DMM, from what I’ve seen.

The Tenavolt cell I took out of a xeno eo3 after it shut off running on high read 0.24V fluctuating wildly to about 0.60V. The tenavolt ran this light more like a 14500 than a eneloop – brighter with a lot more heat and shorter run time. In direct drive lights, the Tenevolts are great. The run at full brightness until they are almost dead when they start to dim and flicker. In most fully regulated lights, Tenavolts seem to run pretty much like standard eneloops.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15715
Location: nyc
xxo wrote:
In direct drive lights, the Tenevolts are great. The run at full brightness until they are almost dead when they start to dim and flicker. In most fully regulated lights, Tenavolts seem to run pretty much like standard eneloops.

Hmm, odd. Mine was going full tilt and then just shut off without warning. Try turning it on, nope, nothing. No flickering nor dimming.

I’d like some kind of indication, in fact. That’d at least give me some warning.

Alkaleak, lit right up. 14500, lit right up. Tenavolt, nope.

Recharged it, lit right up.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3471
Location: USA

Lightbringer wrote:

I’d like some kind of indication, in fact. That’d at least give me some warning.
Have you not seen the completely flat discharge curves posted by HKJ? Smile
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15715
Location: nyc

Oh, I’ve seen ‘em, but still wish there’d be some kind of warning. It’s a bit disconcerting to be shaving your face and have the beastie just up’n‘die as if you switched it off. Bad enough NiCd cells would do that over 5sec or so. Having it happen instantly is definitely a “Whoa, what happened??” moment.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

xxo
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 03/22/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 306

The Xeno just shut off – I think the protection circuit kicked in.

Running tenavolts in a couple of flashlight/lanterns combos, a energizer weatheready 2AA and a life gear 3AA is where I got the dimming/flickering…..thought it might have something to do with the multiple cells, but I had the same thing happen with a inova X1 which suddenly dropped from full brightness to a few lumens and soon started to flicker. I’m not sure what is going on, but this is what happened.

flydiver
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 06/19/2013 - 19:16
Posts: 1295
Location: Seattle, WA

I think there may be some variation in cut-off. I’ve got some that simply go to 0v, and others that do kind of what you are saying. But, when it’s flickering, it’s done.

To Air is Human, to Respire….Divine.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15715
Location: nyc

Could be chuggle. Ie, voltage under load when it’s spent drops too low, the circuit stops functioning, load drops to near-0, voltage rises, it kicks in ever so slightly for a “flicker”, then the cycle repeats ‘til the cell’s so spent that it doesn’t come back on again at all.

Neighbor whose yard abuts mine has an idiotic spotlight in his yard, where the sensor must be in the beam or at least catching enough light from it. Turns on, sensor thinks, “Ooh, it’s light out!”, then shuts off 5sec or so later. Then, “Ooh, it’s dark out!” and it comes back on another 5sec or so later. And the cycle repeats.

All.

Night.

Long.

Think of the “flicker” as a very fast and thankfully very transient effect like this.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Ledhead
Ledhead's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 12/09/2020 - 16:39
Posts: 242
Location: Near the Willamette
Pete7874 wrote:
Given this unique setup, it’s obviously not possible to charge them in your normal NiMH/Li-Ion battery charger. You have to use the supplied charger.

Is this still accurate for an Xtar X4? I put four in my charger before I read this thread and it seems to work….
I still have the proprietary charger so I can use that if it’s warranted.
Sorry for the necrobump

flydiver
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 06/19/2013 - 19:16
Posts: 1295
Location: Seattle, WA
Ledhead wrote:
Pete7874 wrote:
Given this unique setup, it’s obviously not possible to charge them in your normal NiMH/Li-Ion battery charger. You have to use the supplied charger.

Is this still accurate for an Xtar X4? I put four in my charger before I read this thread and it seems to work….
I still have the proprietary charger so I can use that if it’s warranted.
Sorry for the necrobump

No, it doesn’t work. It may…..seem…. to work with ……some….. chargers. You will get some charge, but the charger’s termination capability will be thwarted by the internal electronics. They are in control.
Tried what you are talking about with a number of multi-chargers. Nope.
Works fine with the proprietary charger.

To Air is Human, to Respire….Divine.

Rexlion
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 05/18/2019 - 16:59
Posts: 1027
Location: Okla.

I haven’t been impressed with my set of 4 Tenavolts cells. One would not hold a charge worth anything, and the others don’t provide much longevity per charge.

== We save the planet from darkness ==

Ledhead
Ledhead's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 12/09/2020 - 16:39
Posts: 242
Location: Near the Willamette
flydiver wrote:
Ledhead wrote:
Pete7874 wrote:
Given this unique setup, it’s obviously not possible to charge them in your normal NiMH/Li-Ion battery charger. You have to use the supplied charger.

Is this still accurate for an Xtar X4? I put four in my charger before I read this thread and it seems to work….
I still have the proprietary charger so I can use that if it’s warranted.
Sorry for the necrobump

No, it doesn’t work. It may…..seem…. to work with ……some….. chargers. You will get some charge, but the charger’s termination capability will be thwarted by the internal electronics. They are in control.
Tried what you are talking about with a number of multi-chargers. Nope.
Works fine with the proprietary charger.

Wow. I sooo appreciate the info. I put them in the tenenvolt charger and the primary indicator was green.
I assume they are charged…? They will go back into the bathroom radio until ‘dead’ and then back to the factory charger. Tanks again!

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15715
Location: nyc

Huh… they work fine for me. You MUST use the come-with charger. They need 5V full USB voltage, NOT 4.2V that’d charge Li cells. The latter almost certainly won’t charge the internal cell worth a damn.

In my Xeno, an alkaleak will gradually dim to the point of being useless. A Tenavolt will maintain full 1.5V brightness (ie, dimmer’n a 14500) right up to the point where it drops dead without warning. Decent runtime, too.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

flydiver
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 06/19/2013 - 19:16
Posts: 1295
Location: Seattle, WA
Rexlion wrote:
I haven’t been impressed with my set of 4 Tenavolts cells. One would not hold a charge worth anything, and the others don’t provide much longevity per charge.

I agree with @Lightbringer. I have a dozen, all working almost continuously for a year+. No, they don’t have mega capacity, most being in the 1600mAh range. They don’t have mega amp output, being limited by the circuitry to ~ 1.5A output. But they do put out a pretty solid 1.5v until they drop dead. That is very useful for “some” applications. Mostly not needed though. Understand what you are buying.

Only worth the price on a GOOD sale, which I have not seen in ages. Current price is simply way too high.

To Air is Human, to Respire….Divine.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3471
Location: USA
flydiver wrote:
Rexlion wrote:
I haven’t been impressed with my set of 4 Tenavolts cells. One would not hold a charge worth anything, and the others don’t provide much longevity per charge.

I agree with @Lightbringer. I have a dozen, all working almost continuously for a year+. No, they don’t have mega capacity, most being in the 1600mAh range. They don’t have mega amp output, being limited by the circuitry to ~ 1.5A output. But they do put out a pretty solid 1.5v until they drop dead.


+1

My Harmony remote loves them because of the steady 1.5V output. They last about 6 months in it on a single charge.

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 1953

I do see the attraction however at $35 for 4 (Amazon,) that’s just too much. That’s over 3 x as much as eneloop which is already the most expensive rechargeable battery.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3471
Location: USA

zoulas wrote:
I do see the attraction however at $35 for 4 (Amazon,) that’s just too much. That’s over 3 x as much as eneloop which is already the most expensive rechargeable battery.

Yeah, I think most of us got them when they were $12 for 4 + charger. At the regular price, there is nothing interesting about them.
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15715
Location: nyc
Pete7874 wrote:
zoulas wrote:
I do see the attraction however at $35 for 4 (Amazon,) that’s just too much. That’s over 3 x as much as eneloop which is already the most expensive rechargeable battery.
Yeah, I think most of us got them when they were $12 for 4 + charger. At the regular price, there is nothing interesting about them.

Yeh, that’s more in line with what I recall paying for ‘em.

They’re great in things that don’t like eneloops/amaloops, that need that higher voltage.

I recall some remotes that would stop working with NiMH cells. Alkaleaks that were down to 1.2V with no load were pretty much spent anyway, so you’d get decent life out of ‘em (before they’d start leaking), so in that case the Tenavolts would be perfect.

But yeah, no, no way would I pay almost 9bux per cell.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Pages