Astrolux EC01 (xhp50) or Lumintop FW1a (xhp50) ?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3521
Location: CT, USA
Astrolux EC01 (xhp50) or Lumintop FW1a (xhp50) ?

I don’t want to create a poll for this, but I’m looking for people’s vote or feedback or whatever. I’ve had the ec01 xhp50 abd it was really good but I broke it. Only thing I didn’t love was no clip and no “pocketable” for my needs. Other thing is ec01 is cheaper. But I like tail caps and I’ve never seen the fw1a xhp in action.

Looking for a small portable single led pocketable light that will blast lumens when needed for 20 seconds or so.

Which one gets your vote?

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

The BLF GT with SFT40 (2300lm, 2700m+ @ 30 seconds!)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79561

Edited by: ArtieT59 on 01/14/2021 - 17:42
Souichirou
Souichirou's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 04/05/2019 - 21:32
Posts: 695

My vote is still for the Astrolux EC01 solid performer for the price you can’t really compare the FW1A to it. Have you considered using this Pocket clip it does fit on the EC01.

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3521
Location: CT, USA

Souichirou wrote:
My vote is still for the Astrolux EC01 solid performer for the price you can’t really compare the FW1A to it. Have you considered using this Pocket clip it does fit on the EC01.

Thank you! I like that clip, great suggestion. Why do you say you can’t compare the two? I just compared them because their both small, single xhp50 around the same lumens and price is close-ish. I assume because besides that they are pretty different? I was thinking similar performance and pocketable.

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

The BLF GT with SFT40 (2300lm, 2700m+ @ 30 seconds!)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79561

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3521
Location: CT, USA

I know the xhp50 ec01 was really awesome until I broke it. I’ve never considered fw1a until recently when thought about buying the ec01 again. I only considering fw1a because it small size with similar output.

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

The BLF GT with SFT40 (2300lm, 2700m+ @ 30 seconds!)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79561

Souichirou
Souichirou's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 04/05/2019 - 21:32
Posts: 695
Artiet59 wrote:
Thank you! I like that clip, great suggestion. Why do you say you can’t compare the two? I just compared them because their both small, single xhp50 around the same lumens and price is close-ish. I assume because besides that they are pretty different? I was thinking similar performance and pocketable.

What I mean was its a 21700 vs 18650 light as well as different use case, the EC01 is more of a general use light you could take for a dog walk etc while I do like a tailswitch it isn’t great for a light in all use cases and you can easily add a magnet to the EC01 and stick it to stuff =D

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 24 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2704
Location: Manila, Philippines

EC01 has a bit bigger head, thus a produces a bit more focused hotspot than the FW1A Pro with a bit smaller head.

Also, FW1A Pro's XHP50.2 is more cool-white, doesn't seem to have a choice, unlike the EC01 which had a 'neutral-white' (not really 5000k, but slightly warmer than cool-white).

 

EC01 (XHP50.2) [left side] vs  FW1A Pro (XHP50.2) [right side]

 

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3521
Location: CT, USA
Souichirou wrote:
Artiet59 wrote:
Thank you! I like that clip, great suggestion. Why do you say you can’t compare the two? I just compared them because their both small, single xhp50 around the same lumens and price is close-ish. I assume because besides that they are pretty different? I was thinking similar performance and pocketable.

What I mean was its a 21700 vs 18650 light as well as different use case, the EC01 is more of a general use light you could take for a dog walk etc while I do like a tailswitch it isn’t great for a light in all use cases and you can easily add a magnet to the EC01 and stick it to stuff =D


Yes that definitely makes sense. The ec01 I kept mount on my mountain bike it was an excellent bike light. I think I’m going that route, plus on sale it’s a great price

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

The BLF GT with SFT40 (2300lm, 2700m+ @ 30 seconds!)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79561

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3521
Location: CT, USA

d_t_a wrote:

EC01 has a bit bigger head, thus a produces a bit more focused hotspot than the FW1A Pro with a bit smaller head.


Also, FW1A Pro’s XHP50.2 is more cool-white, doesn’t seem to have a choice, unlike the EC01 which had a ‘neutral-white’ (not really 5000k, but slightly warmer than cool-white).


 


EC01 (XHP50.2) [left side] vs  FW1A Pro (XHP50.2) [right side]


 


Wow, thank you for sharing this! This helped a lot! I think ec01 is the way to go.

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

The BLF GT with SFT40 (2300lm, 2700m+ @ 30 seconds!)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79561