Skilhunt H04 replacement?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
river345
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 03:07
Posts: 185
Skilhunt H04 replacement?

I guess I’m a 3 headlamp person. Spending this week going without my Skilhunt H04R-RC was such a pain.

What’s a good replacement for it? I’ve learned that I really don’t care about the recharge feature, so I could’ve gone with a less expensive non-RC version. But I love the light-weight of the Skilhunt. I also like the button placement and button feel. Comparing the Skilhunt to my ArmyTek for example, the Skilhunt is miles ahead in terms of button feel. My ArmyTek’s button is squishy and often registers double click when I do a single click.

I also want to keep similar lens (non-TIR with medium spread). I use it for dog walking, and the mix of throw and spread is perfect. And neutral white.

I don’t really want to get another Skilhunt since it only lasted 14 months even when being used gently.

AEDe
AEDe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 12/01/2016 - 12:07
Posts: 731
Location: Moscow

You can change driver or led. H03/04 is one of the best (or the best) headlamp host.

river345
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 03:07
Posts: 185

I’ve never mod a light before. Is it as simple as buying a board online and replacing it, maybe need some light soldering to make final connections? Or is there like a lot of soldering and fitment work?

AEDe
AEDe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 12/01/2016 - 12:07
Posts: 731
Location: Moscow

river345 wrote:
I’ve never mod a light before. Is it as simple as buying a board online and replacing it, maybe need some light soldering to make final connections? Or is there like a lot of soldering and fitment work?

In the case of H04 changing is very simple. There are 4 soldering poin. 2 wire to led and 2 wire to button.

As I know of blf there are several custom drivers for H04. You can also can check local skilhunt dealer for native driver.
In Russia it costs about 10$ for native and ~30$ for custom.

idahofarmer
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 02/22/2020 - 14:27
Posts: 129
Location: idaho

So I have all the newest lights. All have their quirks and are not perfect in one way or another. If you just want a cheap, light weight light that works get the sofirm 40. If it was me I would give skilhunt another chance and buy the 300 headlamp they just put out. Stuff can fail I wouldnt assume they are all bad by brand. Also loo at the nitecore hc30 or replacement hc35 (i think). They are lightweight and simple ui. I own all these lights and none have failed unless I install a battery back-azz-wards. I smoked a sunwayman and SWM told me to take a hike for warranty (I even offered to pay).

If you want “NEVER FAIL” buy a surefire. They spend all their time making sure their stuff is 100%, 100% of the time.

I hate the armytek button. That said they had the wizard pro on sale this weekend for 30% off and I was tempted (they replaced and upgraded the button to be more normal). I did not buy it.

river345
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 03:07
Posts: 185
idahofarmer wrote:
So I have all the newest lights. All have their quirks and are not perfect in one way or another. If you just want a cheap, light weight light that works get the sofirm 40. If it was me I would give skilhunt another chance and buy the 300 headlamp they just put out. Stuff can fail I wouldnt assume they are all bad by brand.

I totally understanding that things can fail. If they stand behind their product I’m OK with it, but I’m having a bad experience from them with the warranty. I brought the light from Aliexpress, and Skilhunt is saying I have to go through the dealer rather than them directly. Maybe their warranty has a fine print about it, I don’t know, but it seems like a brush off.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 2286
Location: New Zealand

Get the Cyansky HS6R, one of the best headlamps available

idahofarmer
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 02/22/2020 - 14:27
Posts: 129
Location: idaho
Funtastic wrote:
Get the Cyansky HS6R, one of the best headlamps available

A sales pitch from the ceo of the co?
Looks 1980’s and 118g in weight no battery.
Soviet Union cold war relic???

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 2286
Location: New Zealand

Heaps of headlamps are 160g incl the very popular Nitecore HC65. The headband bracket is very comfortable

Might want to check out my review on YouTube

idahofarmer
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 02/22/2020 - 14:27
Posts: 129
Location: idaho

Funtastic wrote:
Heaps of headlamps are 160g incl the very popular Nitecore HC65. The headband bracket is very comfortable

Might want to check out my review on YouTube

Ill just check the manuf page.

NITECORE HC65 Specifications
Light Sources: CREE XM-L2 U2 LED (Primary), High CRI White LED (Auxiliary Light), Red LED (Auxiliary Light)
Battery Type Supported: 1× 18650, 2x CR123A, or 2x RCR123
Peak Beam Distance: 120yds (110m)
Peak Beam Intensity: 3000cd
Brightness Outputs:
Turbo: 1000 lumen / 1h
High: 550 lumen / 2h 45min
Med: 280 lumen / 4h 45min
Low: 80 lumen / 16h
Ultralow: 1 lumen / 800h
Auxiliary Outputs:
Auxiliary White Light: 26 lumen / 25h
Auxiliary Red Light: 11 lumen / 20h
Special Modes:
Red Caution Light: 11 lumen / 32h
Strobe: 1000 lumen
SOS: 1000 lumen
Beacon: 1000 lumen
IP Rating: IPX8, 2m
Impact Resistance: 1.5m
Dimensions: L-3.26“xW-1.31“xH-1.05” (82.7mmx33.3mmx26.7mm)
Weight: 2.21oz (62.7g)”

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 2286
Location: New Zealand

idahofarmer wrote:
Funtastic wrote:
Heaps of headlamps are 160g incl the very popular Nitecore HC65. The headband bracket is very comfortable

Might want to check out my review on YouTube

Ill just check the manuf page.

NITECORE HC65 Specifications
Light Sources: CREE XM-L2 U2 LED (Primary), High CRI White LED (Auxiliary Light), Red LED (Auxiliary Light)
Battery Type Supported: 1× 18650, 2x CR123A, or 2x RCR123
Peak Beam Distance: 120yds (110m)
Peak Beam Intensity: 3000cd
Brightness Outputs:
Turbo: 1000 lumen / 1h
High: 550 lumen / 2h 45min
Med: 280 lumen / 4h 45min
Low: 80 lumen / 16h
Ultralow: 1 lumen / 800h
Auxiliary Outputs:
Auxiliary White Light: 26 lumen / 25h
Auxiliary Red Light: 11 lumen / 20h
Special Modes:
Red Caution Light: 11 lumen / 32h
Strobe: 1000 lumen
SOS: 1000 lumen
Beacon: 1000 lumen
IP Rating: IPX8, 2m
Impact Resistance: 1.5m
Dimensions: L-3.26“xW-1.31“xH-1.05” (82.7mmx33.3mmx26.7mm)
Weight: 2.21oz (62.7g)”

That’s without the strap, mount, and battery

As a Nitecore dealer I’ve checked this myself