Can you tell me about this driver?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
monkeyman77
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/29/2012 - 21:00
Posts: 279
Location: atl ga
Can you tell me about this driver?

What kind is it and is it good https://photos.app.goo.gl/FQJbTJg6B8K7cTra9

SammysHP
SammysHP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 49 min ago
Joined: 06/25/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 1031
Location: Germany

That is just the aux LED PCB with a hint of LED MCPCB, not the driver.

monkeyman77
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/29/2012 - 21:00
Posts: 279
Location: atl ga

no wonder i didnt see any of them in google photos under drivers lol

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 33 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 5221
Location: Central North America

> is it good?

a lot of people really like the D4V2.. your photo shows the Aux LEDs.. you might like them:

I dont know how “efficient” the driver is at 2 lumens.. but it does go that low.. and the batteries are rechargeable.

imo efficiency is an old concept, that was a concern for people that used disposable batteries and always wonder how much life is left in the cell.

newer lights that use rechargeables, and have built in battery monitors, dont have the same issues.. we can recharge and leave the house with a full cell any time we like.. with rechargeables, runtime is not limited by efficiency.. we just swap in a new cell… essentially unlimited runtime

monkeyman77
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/29/2012 - 21:00
Posts: 279
Location: atl ga

spent some time homeless. no way to charge lights back then with no power. i do now have a solar panel and luckly im not homless anymore but them days are always in the back of my mind

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 33 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 5221
Location: Central North America

glad things have improved in your world

the Anduril UI does not run on any AA lights, yet.. there are a couple in development..

But in terms of lumen per watt, and longest runtime at low levels, I think your AA Zebra will have the most efficiency… Thumbs Up

monkeyman77
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/29/2012 - 21:00
Posts: 279
Location: atl ga

i love my zebra for real when i get stressed i just hold it . worst part of my flashlight history was being homeless and living way out in the woods to stay safe. till one night one a new moon night my flashlight quit due to battery so im in the middle of the woods cant even see my hand in front of my face all night i heard things moving in the woods but couldnt see them lol i was scared pretty badly.i was useing a old incan maglight

Dalamar
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 04/25/2019 - 21:13
Posts: 276

jon_slider wrote:
> is it good?

a lot of people really like the D4V2.. your photo shows the Aux LEDs.. you might like them:

I dont know how “efficient” the driver is at 2 lumens.. but it does go that low.. and the batteries are rechargeable.

imo efficiency is an old concept, that was a concern for people that used disposable batteries and always wonder how much life is left in the cell.

newer lights that use rechargeables, and have built in battery monitors, dont have the same issues.. we can recharge and leave the house with a full cell any time we like.. with rechargeables, runtime is not limited by efficiency.. we just swap in a new cell… essentially unlimited runtime

you are wrong, it’s not an old or obsolete concept.

driver efficiency directly impacts how hot the light gets at a given level – not even to mention the battery usage. it directly impacts brightness in a temperature-regulated light. and heat from the driver does not sink nearly as well because driver is not on mcpcb.

a linear driver on 2.2v leds is godawfully bad as it’s wasting half the voltage as heat – and Emisar/Hank should have been ashamed of offering them for sale. The driver throttles long before the light itself is hot

I only like high CRI. Collection:

Fireflies NOV-MU 21 4500k E21A

Fireflies ROT66 219B SW45 D220

Fireflies E07 Copper 219B SW45k? (odd/higher lumen bin with lower r9 and higher cct?)

Fireflies E07 219B SW45k

Fireflies E07x Pro sst20 FA4 4000k 

 

Varmint removal:

Convoy M21A C8 ver SST20 4000k (5a)

Convoy S2+ SST20 4000k  FB4 (3200ma)

Memes:

BLF GT94

Emisar D18 660nm SST20 

 

 

CRI test dump https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kcl_uOhgfpR4RSsa8F4b-UUVP9mkL6Cr...

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8346
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

Dalamar wrote:
jon_slider wrote:
> is it good?

a lot of people really like the D4V2.. your photo shows the Aux LEDs.. you might like them:

I dont know how “efficient” the driver is at 2 lumens.. but it does go that low.. and the batteries are rechargeable.

imo efficiency is an old concept, that was a concern for people that used disposable batteries and always wonder how much life is left in the cell.

newer lights that use rechargeables, and have built in battery monitors, dont have the same issues.. we can recharge and leave the house with a full cell any time we like.. with rechargeables, runtime is not limited by efficiency.. we just swap in a new cell… essentially unlimited runtime


you are wrong, it’s not an old or obsolete concept.

driver efficiency directly impacts how hot the light gets at a given level – not even to mention the battery usage. it directly impacts brightness in a temperature-regulated light. and heat from the driver does not sink nearly as well because driver is not on mcpcb.

a linear driver on 2.2v leds is godawfully bad as it’s wasting half the voltage as heat – and Emisar/Hank should have been ashamed of offering them for sale. The driver throttles long before the light itself is hot


Indeed, i compare runtimes to each other and have noticed in many cases that moonlight does not give as much runtime as expected. For example a light with 2 lumens and 100 lumens, you would expect the 2 lumen to last at least 50x longer but it often does not.

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8346
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

monkeyman77 wrote:
spent some time homeless. no way to charge lights back then with no power. i do now have a solar panel and luckly im not homless anymore but them days are always in the back of my mind

So sorry to hear about this Sad
The first thing that comes to me is a small solar panel, 5W or 10-20W foldable that has USB out to charge a light during the day.
Or if you can find an outlet to charge a light with built in USB or a power bank.

The second thing that comes to mind is a sleeping bag rated down to the 99% design temperature which in Atlanta Georgia is 23F.

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 33 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 5221
Location: Central North America

Bort wrote:
a light with 2 lumens and 100 lumens, you would expect the 2 lumen to last at least 50x longer but it often does not.

agree, that is my point

efficiency at low outputs can be suprisingly poor on an Anduril light.. This is also true for HDS lights.

since the OP is interested in efficiency at 2 lumen output, I think his Zebra will far outlast an Emissar or HDS

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8346
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

jon_slider wrote:
Bort wrote:
a light with 2 lumens and 100 lumens, you would expect the 2 lumen to last at least 50x longer but it often does not.

agree, that is my point

efficiency at low outputs can be suprisingly poor on an Anduril light.. This is also true for HDS lights.

since the OP is interested in efficiency at 2 lumen output, I think his Zebra will far outlast an Emissar or HDS


I am not very familiar with any of these 3 lights but one should choose carefully in such situations.

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

monkeyman77
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/29/2012 - 21:00
Posts: 279
Location: atl ga

ty things are better now . but i stay prepared just incase

monkeyman77
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/29/2012 - 21:00
Posts: 279
Location: atl ga

love my zebra just wish it throwed a bit better. but i think im being ocd about it .ps it is amazeing how the eyes can cope in low light after siting with no light on for 15 minutes or so