Review: ML-102 Charger

Anyone notice theres a new version that uses a leaf spring instead of the conical coil, it is now impossible to squeeze longer cells in.

Yep noticed.

has anyone tried using protected 18650 on the version 5 of this charger ?
fasttech says max battery length for version 5 is 65mm (Length of unprotected batts)

I think you’ll find them too long.

Another question using this charger.

I plan to use it mostly as a battery back up for my phone.
I bought the wrong one which is the version 5.0 that can only accept an unprotected battery (max battery length is 65mm)

will this harm my unprotected battery when used on its full power to charge a phone ?
Planning to get either Panasonic , Sanyo or samsung unprotected battery. Just for this charger.
understand that this charger has a feature “Over-charge (4.2V) and over-discharge (2.9V)”

based on lots of reading discharging below 2.9V is bad for an unprotected batterry. (I’m not sure if the forum is old or new, cant seem to get to that page again.)

Or is it better to get the version 3.0 instead.

That is simply not correct, depending on the actual LiIon battery the minimum voltage during discharge is 2.5, 2.75 or 3.0 volt, Panasonic 2900/3100/3400mAh are all the 2.5 volt types.

I received some and the longest battery, which fits has 65,8mm (not any space).

I don’t know which version I got, but the frame won’t take 70mm, my calipers suggest maybe 69mm might fit in the spring with a lot of compression.

My Keeppower 3100 protected does fit in mine, though it is a tight fit; it is 68 and change not counting the short button.

How do you / where do you get this information? - saw it on fasttech battery description, i hope they are accurate :slight_smile:
so those panasonic would be safe with this charger ?

@buwuve
i think you got the version 3 which supports protected 18650 (Support max battery length 68.8 mm)

@GottaZoom
I think you got the version 5 which only supports unprotected 18650 (Support max battery length 65.0 mm)

info’s are based on fasttech. :slight_smile:

Panasonic datasheet, you can often find a (shortform) datasheet for LiIon batteries and it will list the key parameters.

The full datasheet is much more interesting, but is very hard to find on Panasonic cell (I have only seen it for one cell), it list not only the standard parameters, but also maximum parameters and safety tests (Can be stuff like short circuit and over charging).

P.S.: If anybody has some full Panasonic datasheet (i.e. more than 2-3 pages) and want to share them with me I would be grateful.

I saw these left / right angle adaptors at FastTech, would be ideal if you have a phone charger with micro-USB plug.

Hi guys. Just received 2 of the version 5 ML-102 and decided to modify one to fit a 70mm cell These ones.
All seems ok, they fit great, although after charging for around 2 hours so far, the cell has heated up quite a bit.
I’m no expert, but how much heat is too much?

Generally LiIon do not really heat up, except if they are damaged. Can you measure the voltage?

Do you have a way to measure the temperature? Also, how are you powering the charger?

It looks like my multimeter is broke, it’s been a while since it was last used. I’ll pick a new one up tomorrow.
I’ve got the charged plugged into a wall plug with a USB outlet, 5v 1a.

Brilliant, thanks!

Panic over, I think. Picked up a new multimeter and all 4 cells are between 4.19 and 4.21 volts.
I run all 4 cells in a Skyray King, so I’ll be keeping an eye on them.

@mally: Can you provide details on your modification to support longer batteries?

If you open the casing up, you’ll see that the negative terminal can be pushed back a little. I wrapped a little insulating tape around the legs of the LED then i Dremelled the case so that the 2 parts could fit back together. I think I crimped the negative terminal a little too.
It’s a little hard to explain, but so easy to do.

Mally, you’re not alone with v5 heating cells up:

I’m still waiting for my v5 to arrive. :~