Fogging on P60 Lenses...

Fogging on P60 Lenses…

Would like to enquire. For XML P60 Lights. After leaving it over a night or few without battery under storage conditions.
When 18650 battery is inserted and light put to High. Water condensation would take place inside the lenses. This happen too all my solarforces and skyray P5 host as well. I am mainly running KD 3 mode or 5 mode drop ins.

Once that happens, I would usually remove the glass front and do a wipe down. Air blower to remove dust and re-screw the glass on after a while to let the LED warm up all the water. Then the fogging stops.

After storing the light for a day or two. the whole cycle repeats. The fogging is affecting the beam quality and I am afraid that in times of emergency, the high mode could not be utilize as fogging takes place.

I have tried Escillor Lens cleaner / Window Cleaner methods on inside of the glass. It doesnt work.

Does anyone face the same issue?

Any long term solutions?

Thanks

Try storing the light open , with the tailcap off ...

Humidity , perhaps ?

Try storing the lights in an airtight container with a couple packs of Silica gel desiccant. That should lower the humidity. Pelican makes a good reusable pack that's easy to bake/reactivate.

The place that I stay is quite humid. Have to agree on that. It did cross my mind regarding that. Thanks for your suggestion Jack.

Did you mean to store the light without SCREWING on the TAILCAP?

Like this? Is this method proven?

Thanks.

Thanks ROJOS…

It seems your lights either aren’t airtight, or that there’s humidity in the air inside the flashlight, and when it cools down it condenses.

Two options, store in an airtight container as rojos said, or open up all the parts, and put it in the freezer, then put it back together after putting it in the freezer for about 10 seconds.

The freezer method works because the colder the air becomes, the less humid it can become or, the less water it can hold. Therefore if the air in your freezer is dry (meaning you dont see fog inside your freezer) that means you just need to get that dry air inside your lights. Once the dry air is inside, then condensation will only occur on the outside, instead of on the inside as well.

Thanks. I am going to try the freezer method now…

storing the light in a zip-lock bag should do it too. especially directly after using the light.

thanks for the cross-reference rojos!

i have that kind of host, one with xml, other with nichia…
the fog that I experience is not like water condensate. it’s more like semi milky thin white trace. and with the beam shone thru it, will appear a little bit purple glare on the trace surrounding…the hotter the light and the brighter the beam, it becomes more foggy…

Wow. Such an old thread.
yes. The method works.
I have also realized that due to inexperience as a noob, I replaced the cheapo eBay drop in insulation with double sided tape. Heat actually evaporates the water in the sticky compound and fogs the lenses.