Will my SkyRay King burn itself up if left on too long?

Have a new SkyRay King, COOLEST light ever!! I had been using lousy Ultrafire Ebay batteries that I found out are only about 700 mah batteries. Got some better ones that are rated about twice as much, and have some of the Trustfire Flames coming in the mail also.

If you leave the light on for an extended period of time, will it get hot enough to damage itself? I ran it the other day with my Ultrafire 2400’s to see how long it would run, and after 20 minutes it was almost too hot to hold in your hand. I was afraid it was getting too hot and aborted my test and turned if off and let it cool.

I go for 30 minute walks, and I am fearful that on a warm night that would be long enough to damage it if I leave it on high, any thoughts?

Once it’s hot enough that you can’t hardly hold it with your bare hand, is it going to damage the light?

I've left my king on high for 2hrs+ a few times. Too hot to touch, but no permanent damage.

I've recently opened the driver up and everything looks ok despite the abuse.

Based on some mesurements before by other members, I believe the king's temp peaked at about 70-80C. That's really hot for hand, but not quite hot enough to melt solders or ruin the components.

If there are any capacitors in the driver, prolonged use at high temperatures (~80 deg.) might dry up the electrolytes and reduce their life.

Wow! What kind of batteries are you using to run it on high for 2+ hours? I didnt think such a battery existed

It’s possible if his SRK is only pulling 6A or so from 4 x 3100mAh batteries. But I think SRK’s typically pull a bit more than that. Even then, you could definitely be on your way to 2 hours (even if you don’t quite get there).

How much of that time would be full brightness? My lousy Ultrafire batteries will only do 20-40 minutes before it starts to dim noticeably.

How much of that would be full brightness? With my lousy Ultrafires I get 20 or 40 minutes of full brightness before it fades pretty noticeably.

Panasonic 2900s unprotected. You can’t really calculate runtime using constant current, don’t expect constant power regulation, this is a parallel light after all so it’s basically using a single big battery. That being said, the power will slowly drop as the voltage drop.
First hour you won’t notice brightness drop, then next 45min you may notice it a bit and the next 45minutes it is pretty much like running on low. If you don’t turn it off using unprotected battery, it will continue running for quite a while.

Here is a plot of a SRK NW light output and temperature. Started out at 1700 lumens. After 13 minutes is was down to 1475 lumens and the temperature was pushing 67 degrees C. I didn’t want to run it much after that. Note how the light output stair-steps it way down. It looks like it may be trying to do some sort of thermal management.