Budget knives dealers all in one

mhm. did anyone see a convex grind on one of these blades? thinking about it, I don't know any folders with convex grind.

btw, if someone finds some nice fixed blades, please post them. The Moras are too spartanic for me, the SRM fixeds are nowwhere to be seen, and I'd love to see a Blackjack or Fallkniven clone...

Compression locks are actually an entirely different beast than liner locks, though the manufacture is somewhat similar. Extremely, extremely strong lock, and almost impossible to disengage by accident.

This website may explain it more: Compression Locks. It is somewhat difficult to understand by looking at a diagram, though.

Spyderco developed them for use on their very high end military and law enforcement folding knives.

It must be a well guarded secret. They don't even mention it here http://www.navyco.com/eshop_view.asp?id=6

Thanks for the link. Now I want one, just to see the locking mechanism first hand... damn. ;-)

Some Opinels have a convex grind if I remember correctly, or all? MrDagon007 has a nice video on them.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that a compression lock is completely different from a liner lock, but you can see the difference and what it contributes. The main difference aside from reversed direction is that it has a tang cutout so there's a horizontal stop. This is crucial since the lock engages at the back of the tang where it will suffer more leverage from pressure attempting to close the knife. This provides additional security that isn't possible with a traditional liner lock since such a cutout would be on the wrong side of the tang. It also has a stop pin (or anvil) to prevent the lock from traveling too far and wedging by the opposite washer rather than relying on angled surfaces and friction, though liner locks can also have these.

I'm guilty of buying knives just for interesting mechanisms. I got a CRKT Fulcrum solely for that reason.

It's not just a horizontal stop, though. The compression lock actually wedges the lock bar between the tang and a stop pin in the handle. That way excessive negative pressure on the blade is actually transmitted through the lock bar to both handle halves, rather than just one as it is in a traditional liner lock.

Any suggestions for a large blade (3.25") folder with a tip-up clip?

The Ganzo 704 fits the general spec, but also looks freaking huge - larger than it needs to be. Same with the Enlan EL-01. The EL-02 looks like a little more reasonably sized. The Land GB9-902 looks about ideal, but is apparently unobtainable under $25.

The Navy 507 almost fills the bill, being a SRM 710 on steroids, but maintains the tip-down clip.

The new SRM 910, another large version of the 710 but with a tip-up clip, looks ideal - but is apparently unobtainable at any price.

So that leaves me with the EL-02 and the SRM L04. Any other suggestions?

There are some 962s on eBay at $27 shipped. The Ganzo G704 is also very close to your specs - the blade is 8.5CM, which is 3.34". At about the same price as the SanRenMu (or slightly cheaper) there's also the Byrd Cara Cara (which is slightly larger than your blade length requirement at 3 3/4"), or the Byrd Meadowlark (which is slightly smaller at 2 7/8"). The latter two are made by Spyderco.

That EL02 is not so much smaller than the EL01, but the EL01 has the flipper and the thumb-ramp sticking out. I like my SRM 909 as a big blade large edc with tip-up clip, while being smaller and lighter than the ELs. The ELs have even higher built quality though and seem rock solid, so they are a step up in size, weight, built quality and stability over the Bee L-series and SRM (Land) 900-series . I am starting to like tip-up carry, too. Knife is more easily accessible and blade is sitting on the outside on jeans pocket carry (right-handed)... I don't like sharp blades opening in direction of that delicate areas. ;-)

gimepepe's video review

P.S.: How do you like the Mechanix Wear gloves?

Thanks to this thread I have now purchased 6 SRM 763s , 4 Enlan Elo2s , and 1 SRM 909 . My fishing buddies all wanted one once they saw mine .

Just keep them dry and tell your buddies to do the same.

jekostas, Vectrix: thanks for the suggestions. I am still leaning towards the EL-02 but hoping the 910 comes online soon.

As for Byrd knives, I have a Finch which I like very much. I think Byrd and SRM are fairly similar, quality-wise, but the nod probably goes to SRM for cost when all features and materials are considered. The Cara Cara is very interesting, but the price goes up when G10 is optioned.

I honestly don't know any good reason for tip-down carry, other than it's possibly a more convenient design for the manufacturer on a given knife. One other thing I've found, on the tip-down SRM knives with ambidextrous opening studs, is the studs set high enough to often interfere with the pants pocket top while stashing it, preventing it from being fully pocketed without some extra maneuvering. Though one could file down the offending stud, which is normally on the weak-hand side of the blade. On this point, I've also come to appreciate the SRM single-stud designs, which are reversible.

For a number of knife companies (CRKT is a prime example) having tip-down only carry is a legal issue - it's nearly impossible for a blade to open in your pocket. There are also a fair number of people that prefer tip-down carry. If I'm carrying a knife with a flipper I prefer tip down, as otherwise I find flippers can get caught on your pocket.

Otherwise, tip up or tip down is fine with me.

The biggest issue of tip-up vs. tip-down may be when one switches from one to the other. Muscle memory hates confusion (at least mine does). Otherwise it's not that big a deal having to flip a tip-down knife in one's hand to reach the thumb stud to open it. I had never considered that the carry orientation might be based upon a liability issue.

I think it depends on the knife, and the clip. The clip doesn't get in the way as bad on the tail end IMO. I generally prefer tip up, but one of my most used knives, Gerber Ez-Out, had several good ways for deployment with the tip down.

Here's a new twist on the tip-up / tip-down thing - a guy in my office, who is also into SRM knives, just walked in my office and said his tip-down model 738 fell out of his front waist pocket onto the parking lot yesterday. He hadn't noticed that the weak-side thumb stud had hung up on the top of his pocket. Not only that, but the blade had opened up in his pocket at some point, as evidenced by a hole in his pants. As an alternative to filing down the offending stud, we were wondering if the ambidextrous studs screw into each other, bolt and nut style - in that case, you couldn't just remove one side, unfortunately.

I had a Spyderco para military in the past with that lock (sold it because it was just to valuable to use)

will pick up a Navy 607 ( Lil'Temperance clone) in the future to see how I like it

The Ganzo G704 is 1 cm shorter than the EL-02 (about the same weight)

I agree with Vectrex the SRM 909 is maybe the best choice for you: nice polished blade and because of the broad design and the green G10 not to dangerous looking (but almost same length as the g704 )

Somewhat more expensive: a Buck Vantage select

Thanks (vielen Dank) they are great but just a bit small, work great for reviews though!

pipopopo: in fact, I had just ordered the 909 from exduct - it should fit my requirement well. I had neglected to mention that the 909 was a contender in my previous post. Thanks to you and Vectrex for the suggestion. I'll report back once it arrives.

I just recieved a dozen or so knives and am waiting for 6-8 more and just ordered 12 more, This is what happens when I am drunk and just keep on ordering more knives.

Friends don't let friends order knives drunk.

lol fishingfool!

When I am drunk it is working the other way around. A firm voice in my head tells me "are you stupid? why do you need more knives / lights / ecigs?". And I don't order anything until I am sober again and this voice disappears. Thank God I drink alcohol just a couple of times a month or I wouldn't buy anything