For Your Viewing Pleasure - Did Some More Beamshots - Fenix TK70 Vs L3 Illumination K40

Took these first ones at 475yds which is farther yet than I normally take.

Here’s a control. These were all on manual exposure with a 1 sec shutter, f/4 ISO 400.

Fenix TK70

L3 Illumination K40

These are about 220yds. Same settings as above.

Fenix TK70

L3 Illumination K40

And just a quick note - don’t let the 475yds zoomed in shots fool you into thinking it’s a lot closer than what I stated. This one below will show you what it looks like unzoomed and during daylight. Anyone who works for an electrical company knows the distance between most electrical poles. I’m gessing around 80-85yds or so in between poles.

The L3 didn’t do nearly as bad considering it’s a single emitter. Long range it appears it illuminated about the same amount as the tk70. Short range is where it falls short, just due to design. Never knew the tk70 had THAT much light, it’s crazy!

The tk70 has such a huge amount of spill that it makes it hard to gauge the throw but according to my eyes it might still have a slight edge on the k40. Both are awesome lights though. The k40 might be my next purchase.

Yea and these were only 1 sec shutter. I have been using about 1.4 sec shutter. But I accidentally put it back on this setting. But they are very close to what you see in person.

That’s one thing I love about the TK70 is that it puts out a wide array of light, but yet throws with the best LED throwers.

Wow, that TK70 owns!

That’s why so far it’s my personal favorite LED flashlight I own. But that may change soon once I get the ST90 Elektro Lumens Search&Rescue Extreme soon. Wayne tells me he has got readings very often of 150,000 lux@1m. To put that into perspective, that’s about 60,000 lux better than the K40 or TN31.

And if anyone wants to see the info from the above photos you can copy and paste the image url from the photos and put them in the link at the top of this link. I did one for you below as an example using the TK70 475yd shot.

http://regex.info/exif.cgi?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv204%2Fbrad541thb%2FDSCF4047Small.jpg

It's really showing itself to be the backpacking flashlight I've been looking for. I just wish the 4 mode were still available.

I’m gonna go take some 60yd beamshots on 1 sec in the treetop. We will see which one has the brighter hotspot up close.

Ok same settings as above but 60yds.

Fenix TK70

L3 Illumination K40

And just for grins here’s one with my EagleTac M3C4 new U2 driver at about 65,000 lux@1m just to show you how the K40 kills it.

And the Big halogen spotlight needs charging and more than likely is a bit weak in this picture below, but I took it to show you anyway. Same 1 sec shutter.

Professional Favorites Halogen 60yds

TK70 Mouse out. Mouse on L3 Illumination K40.

Both lights look orsm but the TK70 looks pretty impressive to me in these two shots. Thanks Ilike for the pictures. They are both in my dreams.

Hey no problem. I truly enjoy doing this stuff. And it’s nice to see head to head comparisons. The TK70 does appear to me to be the better thrower vs the K40. But for $108 shipped, and smaller size and better balance and overall handling characteristics the K40 is the way to go. I really like the K40.

Yes 60k difference against K40, but only 40k difference against TN31.

Well that just depends on who you talk to. Selfbuilt supposedly has got lux readings of around 105,000 on the TN31. But sbflashlights has got a reading of around 93,000. The K40 is right around 90,000.

Selfbuilt got 112,800 for TN31. And Jake25 got 110,000 for TN31 and 87,000 for K40

Tn31 and k40 are the same light made by supbeam. So are tn30 and x40.

Wrong.Very similar but not same.

K40: Length: 186mm, Width (bezel): 76.2mm, Width (tailcap): 49.0mm, Weight: 452.8g, Reflector depth: 51mm

TN31: Length: 203mm, Width (bezel): 79.0mm, Width (tailcap): 49.0mm, Weight: 572.1g, Reflector depth: 64mm

The electronics (you know, the important stuff other than a metal tube) seem exactly the same.