My Hobby Charger Questions

Tried the search, didn’t find anything.
I got mine for Christmas, I think it may be faulty. I had to yank a cell off of it because it was way over charging it. 4.5V and still going!!!

EDIT
Changed from: Does Anyone Have Experience With The Gens Ace iMars Charger?

Shoot. That’ sad man. I bought a Gen Ace LiPo a couple years ago and was totally impressed by it. Were all the settings on the charger correct?
You should discharge that cell NOW to a safe voltage.

Do not do that! Please take the cell, and place it outside away from anything that could catch on fire. Preferably so no shrapnel can hit windows.

lol. Just yesterday I read a CPF thread about overcharging LiIon cells. Guys used to (when RCR123 came out) charge them up to 4.5V however, cycle life was reduced to 5 or some sad number.

Too late, I already discharged it at .5A for a few hours in a flashlight(no tail cap, so no pipe bomb :slight_smile: ). Because of course after the charger overcharged, it didn’t want anything to do with the cell: “Battery Voltage Too High”.

Any idea when standard protection circuit is supposed to kick in?

Ok, just please be careful with it. These cells can vent hydrofluoric acid, which is extremely dangerous. (Dangerous enough the CDC thinks it could be used in chemical terrorism)

All settings were correct, that is what is irritating me, because I am extremely cautious.

Generally around 4.25-4.3 volts.

That’s what I figured. These cells are supposed to be protected. My TFs that I charged the other day sat at 4.2V(not sure if the displayed was charge current or cell voltage, I think it’s the latter) for around a half hour then the charger would say “Battery Disconnected”. I’m assuming the PC kicked in.

Ok, you probably want to get a new charger then. The protection circuit should not be used to terminate charging.

I know that :wink:
I was unaware that that was happening until now.

I’m very irritated, because I got this charger for Christmas and have spent over $100 on leads and stuff to setup charging(which is all still in China mail). For it to turn out to be a death trap.

The tenergy accucel 6 is reliable, and can be had for around 35 dollars shipped from the US. (SierraRC)

Thanks, I’ll look into it. I didn’t have a choice on the charger I got. I also don’t know for sure if I want to deal with hobby chargers anymore.

I use a iCharger 106b+ and trust it fully. In fact, it has so spoilt me wrt charging time, that I’m not a fan of the Sysmax i4 becaue of how loooonnnng it takes to charge.

Is there any way to reset the chager? Adjust charge voltage? Do you have any old li ion cells to test out with this charger? (i’d suggest you be careful with the one charged to 4.5V. The danger is in the recharging process.

Don’t know of a reset. The only voltage you can change is the per cell end/cutoff voltage, which I have set at 4.20V
No old cells… I discharged the overcharged cell to around 3V and thew it on my i4.

I went into settings and turned balance off. It seems to be working correctly now…

A bit odd that the balance mode would affect a single LiIon charging…either way. I’m happy it’s working now! :party:

I didn’t know that the settings stayed with the presets, I thought they were global.
I figured I would try and shut it off, watched fairly close with a protected cell and it terminated correctly. I then tried an unprotected and watched the tiny screen for 15 minutes straight. :smiley: I’m happy it all seems alright also :party: