Anyone mod zoomies

Hi Eddie, its going to depend on driver size, but yeah, modding it is possible. Stripping the light shouldn’t be too bad, then you know the size of the required parts. I think there’s a 20mm nanjg driver if it turns out to be that size. The emitter swap is the easy bit. I know your state side, so postage to and from me would be about six times the cost of the light…… Still, there will be someone on here who can help I’m sure. :slight_smile:

Best thing is get the light and try it out a few times. You may find out it isn't what you want. I think for hunting, you may find it will not fit your needs. If you end up liking it, then mods can be done, like swapping the LED or possibly even swapping the driver, but it's one of those lights where there will probably not be any real heat sinking, so adding power may be rough.

Let us know when you have it and have used it, that's the best way to go.

Hey, Eddie! That light should be really easy to mod. Just do what gords said and disassemble the light to get the size of the driver and emitter star. If you aren't comfortable doing the soldering yourself I've done the work for others here and there are plenty of us who would do it for you. ;)

I have the light, I like the size, brightness and the zoom. The square pattern is different than I am used to, but I am definitely a zoomie fan (comes from years of coon huting with adjustable lights I guess). I’m using 3xAAA’s right now, waiting on Keeppower 3400 protected 18650’s from Kumabear, hoping its even brighter with them.

Old-Lumens - not sure what was meant by it not meeting my needs for hunting. I have another thread discussing how I will be using it, but to be breif, I needed a hand held light source for using a pistol at night as a secondary light to my sunspot head lamp. The light seems to pair perfectly with my pistol and I think will work quite well.

I don’t really think I need any additional power, once I get to run it with the 18650’s I’ll know more, but might even be willing to give up some for burn time. I also think I might like it to always come on in low instead of having a memory to come back on where turned off.

My current unknowns are burn time and durability. I will need the 18650’s and some time in the woods with it to make that determination. I can live with the light as is, depending on the cost to mod I may do just that. I can tell the 5 modes w/o a memory is going to be annoying though. But for the price, I can live it if needed.

Hey Eddie,

I’m glad you like the new light. For a more neutral emitter something like a T6 3C costs about seven bucks

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/cree-xml-t6-3c-led-115mm-mcpcb-p-442.html

A suitable driver goes for another four or five bucks for a 17mm driver. Double check the driver size.

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/amc71358-5mode-circuit-board-nanjg-105c-304a-p-667.html

or http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020073

I have a light which looks identical to this. I got it from wallbuys for $8 (if I recall correctly) during a sale.
http://wallbuys.com/Product/UltraFire-CREE-LED-XML-T6-1000-Lumens-18650-Battery-FlashlightBlack-6016

It’s the best zoomie I’ve ever used, aside from being a tad bit large to keep with me. It has a wider flood than any other zoomie I’ve seen (75 to 80 degrees, the lens is almost touching the LED dome), the zoom is almost as narrow (7 degrees?) as my narrowest zoomie (wider-lens variation of the Sipik SK-68), and it’s quite bright on high. The entire flood area is twice as wide as the SK-68 and yet still brighter, so it must be putting out as least 5X as many lumens. I’d estimate around 700 to 900 lumens on the wide setting. However, when zoomed, most of the light dies on the inner aluminum wall without reaching the lens, so it doesn’t throw anywhere near as far as a dedicated 1xXM-L reflector thrower.

Overall, it’s one of my favorite lights… and it obsoleted every other zoomie I have. The only things I don’t like are its lack of useful mode memory (always cycles to the next mode, regardless of how long it was off), its blue-tinted LED (seems like a 0A/0B/0C/0D ~7500K tint), and its overall size.

With an 18650 battery, my unit is quite a bit brighter than 3xAAA. I haven’t been able to actually measure it, but visually it seems to be roughly 3X as bright (2X to 4X, really). It should last at least an hour on high, probably at least 2 hours on medium, and at least 6 hours on low (but possibly as much as 20 hours, depending on the power used, probably more like 8-10).

I haven’t had any heat issues with it, but the body does heat up fairly quickly on high so I assume the heat transfer is working. However, as with most zoomies, the heat goes mostly into the part of the body which is covered by the zoom piece, so it kind of insulates itself unless it’s on the narrow setting.

Now, if I could figure out what this item is actually called, I’d put it on the list in my sig below.

Edit (2+ years later): The Jax Z1 is my current favorite zoomie, after modding it with a dedomed XP-G2 and FET driver. It gets the same nice wide beam but can throw around 200 kcd, and it’s built far far better than the cheap light I posted about above.

+1

I don’t see a location under your avatar - but if you’re lucky, someone might even live nearby…

Toy keeper can u measure the size of the driver and maybe post some pics of the light broke down into parts.

Thank you.

I’d love to… but I don’t have the right tools to take the pieces apart. The removable front bits are too wide for my makeshift unscrewing tool (a.k.a. tweezers), and my last Xorg crash seems to have eaten the link I had for a better tool I was going to buy.

If I can find that item again, I intend to get one so I can really get “into” torches. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok thank you anyways

The item I wanted is sold out now, but I found some other machinist calipers which seem just as good… I’ll probably order it tonight; I’ve been meaning to get one for weeks.

Xorg? How is that compared to say puppy linux?

I think you are turd-polishing a bit here. You are modding a 14 dollar light.

Instead you might just keep it or give it away and consider it a lesson learned. Then find a light that more meets your specifications. That might be kind of hard to do though.

Check the forsale and maybe there is an Aspheric light (non adjustable but pure throw, no spill) onsale with a neutral white emitter that would work for you. Check candlepowerforum too for their homebrew lights.

This is pretty off-topic… but, er, Xorg isn’t a distro. It’s the X11 graphics/windowing system underneath the GUI on almost every form of Linux and *BSD. And I keep hitting an obscure bug in its keyboard logic, so if I have a link open in a session-less browser, I will sometimes lose that link.

However, I found a new tool (straight, sharp, used machinist calipers) and plan to order it today. I like taking things apart.

Perhaps, but that’s the best type of light to learn on. :slight_smile:

That depends, the op is happy with the hosts operation (flood to throw, tailorable to his on the spot need, beam width wise) and output, he wishes to lose the blinkies, maintain the 3 aa/18650 use and change to a neutral emitter (i think 4c tint, but that’s me and my experience). This is why I suggested a 20mm nanjg driver, it doesn’t need to be 8*7135, 6 would probably suit, but the nanjg can presumably lose the blinkies.

If you can suggest a nw xm-l zoomy, with hi/mid/low that uses both 3aa and 1*18650 for $25 or so, I’m sure both myself and the op are all ears.

from the take apart photos above it looks like a 17mm driver direct to aluminum pill with no press in brass ring to solder to. so a driver swap would need a solder blob down the edge of the driver then file or sand it to fit to create a press fit/ground path for the driver. just something to think about.

wow, pretty terrible advice, imo

he already said this light is very near suitable…that he wants adjustable…and that price is a factor….

wow, pretty terrible advice, imo

he already said this light is very near suitable…that he wants adjustable…and that price is a factor….

I paid $16 shipped for mine because I was in a hurry : ) . I got to hunt with it this weekend and really like it. Size is perferect to me, its carried in a vest. Based on your review I may have gotten quite lucky with my 1st zoomie selection. For the price I am very happy. Glad to hear it will be even brighter once my 18650’s get here. I can live with the tint, but the 5 modes and no memory is annoying.

Exactly - I like this light. I like and want an adjustable, and based on the other review on this thread, this is a pretty good light for this category. Find me another light, same size, same brightness, same flood to throw range, with 3 modes, memory and a warmer tint for $25 and I’ll definitely buy one, if its under $50 odds are I would still buy it.

I’ve seen some lights sold where you can select the modes and tint, but I haven’t found it for a zoomie. If there’s a location to order as desired, or already standard in the specs I want, please point em out.

I like everyting about the light except the modes and tint (and the tint really is not a big deal to me). Why wouldn’t I tweak it if that would make it pratically perfect for me? I’ve just never modded or had anyone mod a light, so the cost for that is an unknown to me. If it would cost 3 x the value of the light to get some one to mod it, then I’ll probably live with it as is.