Have you found "your" perfect light yet?

Hi there.

I really want one of these lights:

The 18650 version is about 12cm long
The 14500 version is about 9cm long

Both run on high, mid and low and both can hold a clip.

Sounds great, but who´s gonn make one for me?
Ok, seriously. Am I the only one still searching for the perfect personal light? I see a lot of lights that I only like partly. There´s always a small part I don´t like.
I am focusing on design here, not so much on the technical side.

Or have you found “your” perfect light? Which one is it? Or which one is the one that comes nearest to your perfect light?

Never have found the perfect light, and I likely never will. There wouldn't be any fun if I found a perfect one. ;)

Hm, right, stupid question for this forum xD
But you get my point :wink:

+1

+2

I believe there is no such thing as a perfect light. Especially if you are talking about all-round use.

Just to make a comparison with say… food

One day you fancy something, another day something else.
One day you need a simple fast dinner, another day you get get a larger nicer one…
One day you find something that is quite perfect, but you get bored of it after eating it too many times… You need change…
One day you find a new meal, and you have to try it out even if you already know of a nice dinner you could eat.
One day you buy a meal for its looks, but it only tastes mediocre. Another day it may be the opposite…
Price is also one factor…

So what Im saying is…
Having a 3 course menu with a lot of options would be preferred…

Right now, im still working on the spices and flavors (tints) so that I easier can make a nice menu. I nice 3 course dinner would be great.
Its still a work in progress and im taking my time… :slight_smile: I would also like to learn more about building a nice meal up from scratch instead of just buying something. I like the idea of finding a meal, and then modifying it for my taste. There are many aspects that have to work together. And since new ingredients pop up, there are usually always room for improvement if you are working a 3 course dinner where you can offer more than one option for each dish.

Race - okay, you had to go there with food!

Of course it is a great analogy.

And like the ever popular chinese food, you’ll be “HUNGRY” for more in just an hour…!

Now, headed to the kitchen for a snack, gotta pass by my shelf of lights on the way…which will catch my eye first?

Yeah, but even if you get hungry fast again, which food is the food you like the most, that fits most your personal preference and what kidn of spices would it need to make it even better/your “perfect” meal?

Cmon guys

I used to have a girlfriend who was very fond of quotes, one that stuck in my mind (and got caught using!) was, ‘Variety is the spice of life…’

I’ll stick with that one. I am working on getting one really impressive thrower, one really impressive flood and then one really good EDC that does a bit of everything well and reflects something about me.

Problem is that the menu keeps changing! Years ago just Zenon, now LED just changing, changing, changing.

Or should I say, more properly, ‘ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching’

Would you believe a guy who has 5 flashlight sites open right now?!

Not yet. The ZL H600 comes close, but I want the option to only use store bought batteries. That is, a pair of CR123's. I believe it can use one CR123 with a dummy, but that doesn't help if I'm already on a trip and didn't bring the dummy cell. So I guess my perfect light would be like a H600 in terms of modes, beam pattern, angle light, but I'd want it to use AA/14500, be ~20% lighter and I'll accept a little less max output, and of course a lot less battery life.

You can't beat me with my 15 BLF tabs (screenshot from elsewhere).

I know what I want but nobody makes it.

Basically I want a 2 AA penlight that is as thin as possible. Nice sturdy pocket clip. As much throw as possible in a head the same diameter of the thin body. Forward clicky that protrudes and is easy to activate with the thumb pad not finger tip. Two modes, high and low. Low should be semi-hidden so it can work like a single mode on high until you select low perhaps two fast presses to get into low High being 100 lumens or so and low being 30-40 lumen. 2+ hours runtime on high. Aluminum body with slip resistance coating or texture. Make it for less than $40 and I will buy one and so will thousands of mechanic, tradesmen, police etc.

There's no such thing as the perfect light because tomorrow there will be a better one. It's never ending....

I have some flashlights. They are all perfect to me. :bigsmile:

Isn’t it great? :smiley:

Sure is

For EDC (and a whole lot more) a Four Sevens Quark Mini 123.

I hope not!

When the produce the LED that converts 100% of incoming energy to light with no waste heat, then we can talk

Physics says no.