Reflow vid on a sinkpad board

When scaru is done editing my 2 vids, it will show u the process I did to reflow a led to a copper sinkpad board. The process took me under 5 min and I used a flat skillet pan and a torch

Just another way to reflow hope it helps lol

Post 10 is the video

Sure, email the video to me at scarudabest@gmail.com and I will upload it for you. :) If you need any editing done just tell me.

Thanks scaru, its of reflowing a led to a sinkpad using a torch, if u can edit some of the sound so its not loud that would be good

Vids sent

Ok, so turn the audio down and splice the two vids together? You want subtitiles?

Yes on both, and the subtitle ( reflowing on a sinkpad )

thanks nitro - i have 4 pads coming from vestureofblood and have never reflowed… i have the video done by old lumens but more info is always better!

The video has been finished, I'll let Nitro post it though. :)

With the sinkpads I just dab a LITTLE solder paste on the pad and heat the bottom of the skillet, once u see the paste melt just get your soldering wire and keep touching the pad till it melts

two other tip don’t use much soldering paste because it leaves that brown stain on the top, and don’t use to much solder because the led will not sit flush

Link is on the 2nd page

link dont work
edit
the video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokvYYwVggw

Awesome!

At least u get the idea of what to do for the people that’s new at trying, if u guys have any questions just post

Nice job with the reflow. That was about 5X too much solder though - just so others are aware. With that much solder thickness, you’re eliminating the benefit of the sinkpad design since you’ve got a bunch of poorly thermal conductive solder between emitter and star.

You really want JUST enough solder to fully wet the pads. That solder wire was huge for the job at hand which didn’t help either…

PPtk

Yea it was hard on this one since I had a phone in my hand,torch in my lap and tweezers in the other lol, if it was not for my phone I would have knocked the solder off

You did a fine job considering all the things you were juggling -I just wanted to make sure someone trying it at home knew they didn’t need anywhere near that much solder.

PPtk

I reflowed several times today, never did it before, easy stuff.
But, I used to much solder the first time, so the LED won’t lit up.

The other stuff that needs to be done while modding is much harder.

looks like an overly attached girlfriend video is recommended as related to your reflow video

Nikanon,

Pulling the emitter off is just as easy. Heat it up and pick it off with tweezers.

Then, let the board keep heating up a little. Quickly pick up the whole board with tweezers and SMACK it on a hard surface. The excess solder will just fling off of the pads and you can then re-solder the emitter.

When you smack it, hold the board perpendicular to what your hitting it on so that the solder ‘slides’ right off the pad from the impact.

PPtk

Thanks PPtk !

I’m gonna give this a try.