Comparison Supbeam K40 - Supbeam K40L-2

Hi,

i decided to publish a comparison between the "old" and the "new" K40.

Let me know if i made translation mistakes, i will try to correct them.

Very picture heavy! Seems that you will need a minute to load the mouseovers!

The only difference between the K40 and the K40L-2 is the LED. That's why i won't post own pictures of the lights.

Plz have a look at these threads for reviews and pictures of the original K40:

http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/taschenlampen/17849-supbeam-k40.html

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/11882

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?347069-SupBeam-K40-thrower-(-XM-L-U2-3x18650-)-Review

The K40 uses a XM-L U2 and the K40L-2 uses a XM-L2. According to Supbeam the K40L-2 should have 25% more Lux than the K40 and the new version is 10$ more expensive than the old one.

For more technical information about both lights:

http://www.supbeam.com/en/rechargeable-flashlight

I can't do lux measures at the moment but i will do some as soon as i can.

Both lights draw 1.5A at the tailcap with Fasttech Panasonic 3400 protected, so both should have the same chance to win .

The Fasttech cells fit tightly, but they fit. Therefore any other 18650 cell should fit also, because the Fasttech protected cells are the thickest and longest cells available.

For the shots i used a 570m!! long range at an old military airport. Please use only the white dome for comparisons, because correct and identical aiming with the lights is very difficult at this distance and the trees and bushes might not be appropriate for comparisons.

These are my first thrower beamshots at all, if i can do anything better let me know!

I will offer a dropbox link to the original images in full resolution at the end of the post, in case someone is interested.

I also used a modded Ultrafire C8 with XM-L U2 on copper, 3.06A , SMO reflector and UCL lens and a Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-2.

I won't say anything to the results, please make your own conclusions. Both lights are incredibly bright and have a lot of throw. You can't really see a difference in reality, so don't hesitate to buy the old one if you have the chance to get one.

All pictures: f5.6/2s/ISO 800

I will tag the brightness level with an @"brightnesslevel" , for example K40@6

mouse out= K40 - mouse over = K40L-2

Control1:

mouse out = C8 - mouse over = Pro2

K40@6 - K40L-2@6

K40@5 - K40L-2@5

K40@4 - K40L-2@4

The following pictures are seperately taken.

Control 2:

mouse out = C8 - mouse over = Pro2

K40@6 - K40L-2@6

K40@5 - K40L-2@5

K40@4 - K40L-2@4

(it was very windy, the camera moved a little)

The little tree is 60m away. No controlshot, the area was simply black. I used also a Nailbender SSt-90R@3A Dropin and a Nichia 219@1.4A Dropin.

Nichia-Nailbender

C8 - Pro2

K40@2 - K40L-2@2

K40@3 - K40L-2@3

K40@4 - K40L-2@4

K40@5 - K40L-2@5

K40@6 - K40L-2@6
Full resolution pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5f4erux3oplmeob/b2SAP0aUBN
I hope you like the pictures.
Greetings from south Germany!

Wow, thanks. Great shots!
Is the XM-L2 version really that much less floody as illustrated by the beamshots taken at the first location? The tint of your XM-L2 version appears slightly less cool—I like it.

Mouseovers are working fine. Thank you for those incredible beamshots Wertzius and a very warm welcome to BLF

The spot is a minimum smaller, but you can see it at this huge distance. The tint is of the XM-L2 is a little bit warmer too.

Great pics ,I had the L2 mouse out :slight_smile:

OK, interesting. I haven’t yet had a chance to compare an XM-L2 light to an otherwise identical light, but your beamshots will definitely do for now.
Welcome to BLF!

Yeah, I think I got the same thing.

I doublechecked this, the L2 is definitely mouse over.

Please check the zoomed image @lvl 4 and 5. The brighter dome is the L2.

Are there any Supbeam retailers in the U.S.?

I don't know an american dealer but you can order the flashlight @ supbeam.com with express delivery service.

I’m a little confused wertzius…
On some of the images the mouse-over image looks dimmer.
And on others it looks brighter. It could be that my laptop screen is not accurate.
Anyway, in your opinion, is the L2 version of the K40 that much brighter than the older version (K40)?

I’m asking because I’m really interested in buying the L2 (I have the Supbeam K40 already).

Can you shrink your images and label them better.

Welcome to the forum, where did you buy the K40 L-2?

Shrink to which size? 800x600? Why? I didn't found any restrictions for picture resolution.

I bought it directly at the manufacturer: Neonlaserchina.com

@ Banglabob

You can't really see a difference in direct comparison. If you own a K40 already, i won't buy the L2 version.

Especially at brightnesslevel 6 the L2 version seems to be darker at the pictures, but in reality it is not.

I think it is because of the wind or i aimed not in the exact same way.

I have a 21" widescreen and some of your photo is off my screen.

It is just more optimal to have small pictures for beamshots and it is way easier on the eyes.

Thank you. Much appreciated, wertzius :slight_smile: