80,000+ Lux Zoomie game! THE REVEAL IS HERE!

Hi everyone, EDIT: THE REVEAL IN POST #10

Would you like to have a zoomie that kicks out that kind of lux? If so this thread is for you. I have build one that performs at this level. I will reveal how it was done…. but first lets play a little game.

I will give all of the super lux scholars a chance to blow the lit off this built. Here’s how it works. I will give a clue(s) and anybody that wants to can chime in and give there best guess to what all has been done to the host.

Guess criteria include.

1. What host?
  2. Emitter type?
  3. Heat sinking?
  4. Lens?
  5. Driver/drive current?
  6. Any other mods you think may be relevant to the build?

OK… Off we go…….!

Here is your first clue. Its part verbal and part visual. The verbal clue is when this light came to me it averaged 12,376 lux @ 1 min.

Here is the visual clue.

I will give the complete reveal of how to do this next Saturday night ( 8 days).

Good lux everyone! :davie:

XPG2 or XP-E2 dedomed on a SinkPad
Host looks like an UF XM-L T6 from Wallbuys, but not 100% on that.
Actually, I think it’s one of these now, the crenelations match better.
Driven hard I’d guess… Probably north of 2A.
Edit: not XP-G2, the dots on the edges are XP-E2 for sure.

Ok,I'll play-host is aleto 1800 lumen zoomie,xpg2 de-domed on a sinkpad,heatsinking by adding copper discs,lens is ahorton,driver is the adventure sport flashlights™driver with extra 7135's to get 3.04a and extras would be thermal potting for the driver

I win. Its a handy light. Yay.

You guys are killing me making these pocket throwers…

I will go with the wallbuys zoomie ($5.93 wish i would have bought 10). Looks like a osram golden dragon or varriant of it. Copper sinkpad, copper pill, driven around 2.5 - 3a.

Not sure about the host, I would guess what other people did though, so Wallbuys zoomie. I'm tempted to say XR-E for the LED, but no metal ring so not that. The white substrate tells me either XP-G2 or XP-E2 (not Nichia 219 since that is not a very good thrower) and the only other LED with a white substrate is the Oslon square, which I have never seen a mpcb for so I doubt it is that. It definitely is the XP-E2 though due to the tiny die size and the fact that you sent Match a XP-E2 on a sinkpad for testing. That gets me to my next point, it is going to be reflowed onto a sinkpad, most likely with that attached to a heatsink which then screws into the host. The fact that you mention a lens is confusing, but it makes me thing that the answer is not the standard lens... Still not sure what that could be though so I will simply say the XP-E2 LED is missing the "lens" on it (aka de-domed). Since you went as far as having Match test the XP-E2 on a sinkpad for you I would say it is driven a hard as he has shown it can withstand, so approximately 2.4 amps. However 2.4 amps is not a multiple of .35 so I would say either 2.45 or 2.66 amps.

Host

Driver> none DD

Lens> stock lens

Led> XP-E2 de-domed

Copper sinkpad on a custom cut slug made by u

Idk that’s my guess :slight_smile:

ok, lemmietry: the led is definitely XP-E2 (dedomed) and the colour of the die says cool white. It is mounted on a 20mm Sinkpad (you can see the 'N219' upside down. I'd guess a good thermal paste was added, and the led board is screwed onto the pill (that could have been hollow, in that case a copper disc was soldered on the underside of the sinkpad to fill it).Lens diameter is about 20mm, head diameter about 35mm with 6 gaps in the bezel, at 12klux the stock light has a xm-l in it, or throw would be better: I go for a different zoomie than the rest: this ultrafire, it has the silly brown ring, it is fairly cheap and a nice feature is that it eats 18650/26650 batteries and 3xAAA. EDIT:Ah, just found a cheaper fasttech variant of the same light, more probable! Not usefull to go much beyond 2A, so I guess it is driven at 2.4A, so a Nanjg105C with one 7135 removed sounds reasonable. Don't know about the lens, is it just the stock lens? Or perhaps changed to a Sipik sk68 (clone) lens, that has about the same diameter but a shorter focal length (capture more light, but with a slightly bigger hotspot).

I’m sure its a sinkpad, so it has to be a XP-G sinkpad compatible chip, relic seems to be on to something with the host, and the drive current, i haven’t a clue, but i would guess a 105C, and if that is correct, it may be at 2.8A

As promised tonight is the reveal...

I would like to thank everyone who commented in the thread.

I must say I am very very impressed with the level of understanding of the inter workings of lights this group has.

Corporately almost every single detail of this mod was covered by the group.

Now on with the show.

#1. Host: As most of you said...

#2. Emitter: XP-E2 de-domed( I chose this because a single 18650 can fully drive it).

#3. Heat sink: I dont have a picture but as most of you know there is no heat sinking to speak of in these so I press fit a piece of aluminum in the hole and then put a 20mm SinkPad on top of it.

#4 The lens: STOCK! I did hear the ahorton lens mentioned and I am going to say that is a very good guess. I thought this would be better as well. However the only thing ahortons lens had to offer that was superior was a very short focal length. Output/lux measured the SAME with the factory lens.

#5 Driver/current: 2.2A This is the point where the gains plateau. Out the gate there is some improvment at higher amp, but the 1 minute mark is where I do most testing. @ 1m 2.2 and 2.4+ are about the same inside this light body. At the 5 min mark your better off with the 2.2.

And yes Dacangel the Adventure Sport Flashlights™ user interface is always on the scene! I like it that you guys know me that well already .

Here are a couple of shots for comparison on the size of an XML die vs the de-domed XP-E2. I used the garage door because of the squares in it for size ref.

Stock XML

80,000+ lux zoomie.

Thanks again to everyone who played :)

And you're sure that isn't a window? :P Nice work on the zoomie, 80kcd in a pocket sized light. :D

Nice build there,the pocket thrower is a really cool concept and ability to flood with the same light is a great feature.I am really surprised the ahorton was no better,but given it's shorter FL in a non fixed application it makes sense.I'm toying with a zoomie mod right now,and this is great inspiration.

Crap! I changed my guess on the host! I was right the first time.
Very cool mod. I’m going to try this with an XP-G2 for a slightly larger spot.
Thanks for the challenge and for sharing a very cool idea.

nicely done, i waited all week for the answer haha

Nice mod and thanks for the information. I think that model of flashlight is super sweet! I ordered another one. Is this the wallbuys version or another vendor in your build?

fyi, I'm doing just over 100 kcd on a Jacob A60 XP-E2/SinkPAD at 2.8A, not de-domed (yet that is).

Interesting about the loss at higher amps you are seeing at 5 minutes... I'll have to do some time testing on mine - I'm always over-driving .

apt323,

I'm not sure where mine is from, I got mine second hand. From member nitro IIRC.

Tom E,

Thanks for sharing. If you do have better results at the 1-5 min mark feel free to share :)

Darn about the host :-(

Thanks for the puzzle, very enjoyable!