Review: Ultra Fire WF-503B Host from Manafont (SKU 4837)

Ultra Fire WF-503B $12.00 at Manafont http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/ultrafire-wf503b-flashlight-tube-no-led-emitter-p-4293

This budget P60 host was among the products offered in the Cash Back Campaign for BLF members that began 3-23-11. I ordered this 503B, yet another Ultra Fire XM-L/3-mode drop-in and a couple of Trust Fire 2400 mAh 18650 batteries. The much anticipated manila envelope arrived at work today, just nine days later. Not only is this the fastest Hong Kong Post turnaround I've had so far, the promised cash back that I qualified for was in my Paypal account within minutes. Kudos to Jim for staying on top of his thread and personally following through to make sure all of us were happy.

Bottom line: I want to start off by saying $12 is a great price for a solid performing P60 host and overall, this is a pretty good flashlight. Problem is, there are better hosts available at or near this price. The Solarforce L2 for example, cost $11.50 and has stronger knurling, smoother finished aluminum and the anodization quality is significantly better. Aesthetically, the dull finish on the 503B is not necessarily a deal killer but it has a blocky appearance when viewed from the rear. The rubber switch cover looks small and they should have found a better laynard solution or, do what Solarforce did and just forget it. Individually, these issues are not a big deal. You'll find occasional machining boo boos even on a Surefire and I've seen several Solarforce torches where the printing is not quite straight. The white lettering on this WF-503B is aligned and its thread quality is outstanding. It was a real surprise to find squared threads for the head and there are more of them than most other P60 hosts. Bottom line: This 503B has the look and feel of a cheap flashlight. Yes, this is a budget host and expectations should be adjusted accordingly but, other Chinese manufacturers have changed our perception of quality at a given price point. The Ultra Fire WF-503B is not one of those lights.

I give it 2.5 out of 5 Foys.

things I like:

arrived in great condition in record time

awesome customer service from Jim/Manafont

light performed flawlessly with no failures

square threads and lots of them (for the head)

all threads have a smooth, high quality feel

fluorescent o-ring behind the lens

things I do not like:

aluminum finish quality

anodization

knurling

power switch feels cheap

black plastic bezel ring

clumsy aesthetics

Ultra Fire WF-503B $12 with free shipping from Manafont.com

accepts 1 x 18650 or 2 x CR123 batteries - "tactical" reverse clicky tail switch (no tail stand) - 5.34 x 1.36 x 1.36/3.7 ounces (without emitter/battery)

The 503B arrived thus;

Actually, the bubble wrap was much neater than this. I put the light back into the wrap for this shot in an attempt to recreate the thrilling moment I experienced earlier today.

The general manager at Manafont expressed their gratitude for my order by including some "Crystal Mud" and this note. It doesn't look like any mud I'm used to seeing but unlike most other muds, apparently this mud keeps its color.

The aluminum is not smooth and the anodization looks almost like paint.

The hole in the tail cap is only big enough for one of those thin, black (weak, ugly) laynards like the one that came with this light.

One thing the 503B has going for it are these beautiful threads, often found only on higher priced flashlights. They are silky smooth and there's more of them than on other P60 hosts.

The tail cap threads feel nice as well. Here, we see a twisted o-ring prior to being lubed.

This is honestly not a big deal but the knurling that runs into the name plate unevenly on one side does illustrate the fit and finish issues I have with this light. Also, what is "HWASWYS?"

Inside the head.

Inside the tail cap.

The fluorescent o-ring behind the lens is kinda cool. I think I'm going to put it in my L2P.

Here's the 503B with the rest of the XM-L crew.

Thanks for watching, y'all come back now.

keepingitrealFoy

I only dislike the pastic bezel. SS one would be best, but finding a spare plastic one might be very hard...

Thank you, Foy!

It's a nice review and very impressing pictures.

Good job on the review, Foy, and great pics!

Nice pics, thanks for the review. what kind of camera did you use?>

Very nice review , parts interchangeable with Solarforce L2 , head / tailcap ?

If it is the same as the one I have, the answer is no. However, this looks rather different from my one. I got mine several years ago so it is entirely possible that the design has changed.

NicereviewFoy ;)

Don't know if I remember well, but 504 has SS bezel (at least the DX last one) I thought that the difference between 503 and 504 was only a tailcap.

There are quite many 50xB or L2 clones running plastic bezels. I hate them wholeheartly even if are adequate for the job. Maybe it's just me.

James: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

old4570: The tail caps will not thread on each other but the heads will. The L2 head will seat all the way down on the 503B but the 503B head stops about 1/8 inch short on the L2 tube.

I have several SS bezels kicking around so, going to do the best I can to improve this guy.

Foy

It's just a shame to go to all that trouble machining the body so nicely and then finish it off with a bit of plastic, I'm sure they could have done a mental one for an almost unnoticable amount more.

Nope, not just you.

If dropped to the ground, a steel bezel (doesn't neccessarily has to be stainless) will protect the head better to a certain point. A glass lens may still be shattered, but a stainless bezel very likely will protect the round shape and the threads much better than a plastic or aluminum one; thus making repair easier. Nothing is as frustrating and time consuming than trying to correct aluminum threads that have been whacked outta shape (and yes, I did that kind of repair for quite a few friends who thought whacking the battery tube of a D-cell m@glite with the tailcap removed to get those stuck alkalines out would be a good idea... think again)

Well, another disappointment with the 503B; the bezel threads do not match Solarforce or any of the others I happen to have. It seems I'm stuck with the lame ring it came with. If I can't improve this torch with other P60 upgrades then it becomes just a flashlight. This, along with the poor aluminum work and bad ano means I will be avoiding Ultra Fire and/or the 503.

On a more positive note, after wrapping the drop-in tightly with aluminum foil, it actually seems to disapate heat quite well - possibly even better than the L2.

doesnotwantjustaflashlightFoy

GreatreviewandpicsFoy!

I grabbed the manafont 504B new style, the skyray p60 body, and 4 probably fake (but really well made) solarforce L2's. Tried to exchanege the bezels and had luck to some extent. The only thing that bothers me is the fake L2s have equal steel bezels that lack tolerance that much that are often not interchangeable. ?!?! I managed to find one that will screw to the skyray but ony 1 out of four...

UltraLotteryForceFoy!

P.S. Anywa they are all very good hosts anyway.

A lottery I'm not playing anymore. That 503 is $12 retail at Manafont and hardly any normal P60 part will fit on it. (at least the one I got) A real L2 is 11.50 with consistent quality and is compatible with everything. $6 more gets you an L2P host that, in my opinion, is the equal of any flashlight within $100 of its built price. At $6, maybe I could roll the dice but at $12 it's bad bet. I'll try anything once but there will be no more Ultra/Trust/Fart or whatever Fires added to my collection.

tiredoftrashFoy

Great work Foy! I'm waiting a 504 body and i think many advice about 503 will be useful also for 504

Nice review foy of a not so nice host, but don't think that your 503 experience is representative for all UF products. The (fake) Solarfarces L2 and UF 504B are a lot more compatible... at least when it comes to extensions (+ 2 ) tailswitches or heads. (see below)

I think the main advantage are offers like the ones on lightake, where you can get non-spikey metal bezels , tailstanding switch, 2*18650 extension already included fake Solarforces for 10.82 - (5% "FLASHLIGHT") = 10.28 $. My original Solarforce L2R body is not a bit better than the 3 (fake) SF L2 +504B (old version) I looked at. I only would buy L2P,L2X,L2R,L2i at solarforcesales, but never the standard L2, L2m.

Well, if I could be assured I was getting a good one . . . the other problems are; to install a better bezel ring, a new head must be purchased because the threads are different and, no other tail cap will screw on and, a standard P60 laynard ring will not fit. It's an adequate flashlight but not for somebody that wants to change things up a bit - basically the intended market for this torch.

I've conducted some very unscientific evaluations however and I must admit, this little guy wicks heat away probably better than my L2P. Either that or perhaps I did a better job wrapping the drop-in on the 504. So, there's that I suppose. I have no doubt somebody will talk me into trying another but I'm probably going to find a buyer for this guy if I can. I'll sell it with the Solarforce single mode XM-L and the green glow-in-the-dark tail switch cover I installed.

stilldonotlikexfiresFoy

Ultrafires are very spotty when it comes to quality control, but you have to look at each individual model to make out the likelihood of getting a "good" one. To say all UFs are "good" is certainly as wrong as saying all UFs are "bad". If you want full LEGO-bility than the original Solarforces are hard to beat. But I just wanted a non-spiked P60 host with tailstanding switch with extension tube and in that configuration the original SF L2 is more than twice the cost. 10.28$ vs. 25$ is a substantial difference, but on the other hand ITC often has nice combo packs like this L2+L2R+L2i pack for 22 $ and that L2 + 2*18650 extensions for 21 $ .