DIY Emitter reflow station ;)

No stove, no oven, no kitchen, no wife problems.

Only soldering iron a piece of metal (copper, aluminum, brass, ...), piece of wood or destroyable workspace, solder, saw to cut metal and file to get rid of sharp edges.

Kapton tape optional but useful if soldering other things together that spill solder out of them.

The piece of copper is 40x20x3mm, work area is around 30x20mm, though I might need to have heating points on both sides but it turned out just one spot is well enough so I have a bigger space for bigger things.

I made a little groove to help stop the solder flowing all over the pad but it's not much needed.

After having solder spill under the chunk of copper I was making I added 20mm Kapton tape all around it, perfect fit :)

And yes the tape does survive my kind of too high temperatures that I sometimes put into the station.

To reflow an emitter on a SinkPAD something like 300°C/570°F is enough.

At first I tend to ramp it up higher as when heating it up the temperature of the soldering iron drops by around 60°C and then starts to raise again. The copper has no problem to hold the heat for a while.

I use normal 1mm solder that I cut with a precise knife like x-acto knife and coat the pads in advance, apply flux always. Then sit it on the "station" put the emitter in place but it's best to put slightly off so you can see it move and settle down when the solder melts.

Also I use small precise tweezers to push down the emitter while it cools down to push the excess solder away. It's a bit tricky to get the right amount, never put too much on the middle heat pad so that the electrical pads are slightly higher than the heat pad, otherwise as happened to me, the heat pad won't suck it down enough by itself to solder the electrical pads. That is without pushing the emitter down.

The chunk of copper is for D4 triple Nichia 219 heatsinking, it could be 5 layers high but I use 4 in the end. Made 3 but found out there is still so much space left, it's unbelievable where that space generates itself lol. If I had a lathe I would just cut the bloody head down to make the light shorter :D