HexBright Flex USB Programmable Flashlight

Popular Science, July 2013 page 14 features a programmable LED flashlight from the Kickstarter funded company HexBright called the “Flex”. They claim to be the first programmable flashlight on the market.

Specs according to their website:

HexBright FLEX, 500 lm
USA Made CREE XM-L U2 (bin 1C right around 6500K color temp).
Rugged All-Aluminum Construction
USB Rechargeable and Programmable
Regulated light output! Stays constant!
High Mode - 500 Lumens/1 Hour
Medium Mode - 175 Lumens/8 Hours
Low Mode - 50 Lumens/30 Hours
Arduino Compatible and Open Source!
Includes battery (18650), cable and wall charger
Retails for $119.00

Price seems kinda high, and the form factor really is…well…quite odd. Nevertheless, this technology seems much more viable than FT Flexcandles…especially with the quality control issues FT has had. I believe there is just not much need for wireless flashlight technology…seems…rather silly. Just my two cents.

Looks like HexLight contacted BLF in the past…here on this thread .

It looks… :zipper_mouth_face: :zipper_mouth_face:

Yeah, it somehow failed miserably, people not getting their products and a whole lot of other problem.

I think there was a CPF theread with lots of people complaining.

They’re still being shipped out even today if you check the kick starter comments.

Oh, nevermind then.

I remember just a year ago there was a massive delay and the project creator was unresponsive for a few weeks, concerning some people.

I’m glad to hear that they are running well now.

I should set up a Kickstarter to get funding to develop 'an easily swappable LED/driver/reflector module for handheld portable flashlights.' I'm thinking of calling it... Q60. How much do you think I can get? $)

Don’t know why…but for some reason this light reminds me of this scene in Caddyshack.

Haha, that totally made my morning!

I got to handle one and i kind see how it coild garner such attentions, but the heat pathing is not too good as the primary heat conductor is the battery carrier, which is all alum and roughly the diameter of a roche f12, which while having less thermal mass has more surface area.
Its not a bad light, and now knowing that it goes for 119$ i still think that it could be beat out buy an f12 certianly in light and heat handeling.

I got a review sample and was underwhelmed. It was not new, so it may have been reprogrammed but no way was it putting out 500 lumens. For a single cell light it is just too bulky. The designer stated it was due to the USB recharging circuit but IMO it was simple a function of the overall form he chose.

Sucker is open source...lets see what it's all about :D

I'm sure someone here can figure out a way to push it to 2800mA at least!

Schematics and everything else

Too much. That site is like televangelism for geeks.

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about how I would design a p60 if i was to start from scratch.

people have bought the light and experienced red light of death.
it wont come on, but only a red light and there doesn’t seem to be a solution.
Many people have been complaining about this issue, it isn’t as “rugged” as they say.

Does anyone have a hexbright they are willing to sell?
Will pay top dollar!

Gareth

Looking to buy a hexbright to replace one that belonged to our son. :~ :~ Please help!

How is it broken? There are many talented people here that might be able to fix it for you…or we might be able to tell you how to fix it yourself.

I reckon the light went bump in this thread.