Interest thread for AR coated lenses. Updated 7/10/13. I've decided to drop the idea.

EDIT 7/10/13: I feel that there is not enough demand to warrant my purchasing all the tools and glass. I would not make the money back for a while and I just can't afford to put the bucks into it, without the return, (which would need to be hundreds of lenses sold). Thanks for support and comments. Some of the issues discussed here helped me to decide, so the thread worked.

There's always http://www.flashlightlens.com/ for some of your needs.

I am still thinking about cutting glass lenses for flashlights. I really want to buy the tools and glass, but it's a bunch of money to start with, ($300-$400) and I am just not sure if there is any real demand for them.

I found a source for Soda Lime glass imported from Belgium (Glaverbel) and Germany (Flachglas).

A/R coated both sides, (in the US).

Thickness of .040" or .060" (1mm-1.5mm).

I think that would work well for lenses. I "believe" I can cut glass circles. The tools would be able to cut anywhere from 12mm to 120mm lenses.

I cannot commit to the exact prices, but from figuring what I can, the lenses would be fairly close to these prices:

Price per Each:

12mm to 20mm $2.50
21mm to 40mm $3.50
41mm to 60mm $5
61mm to 80mm $7
80mm to 120mm $10

EDIT 07-06-13: Now that I have found out real world pricing on glass along with figuring how much glass is actually needed to cut each lens, I feel that these are firm numbers for pricing the lenses and they are much higher than I first posted. I now realize how much scrap is needed to cut out a circle and the total Sq in needed is more than I first bargained for. It's not cheap any more, once you get above the 50mm diameter range. I am posting this now, because if it's too high, then I need to know, since it won't be any cheaper than this. Honestly, to me, it's just not worth the tiny gain you might get.

Price per Each in either 1mm thick or 1.5mm thick:

20mm to 30mm $2.45
31mm to 35mm $3.00
36mm to 40mm $4.00
41mm to 45mm $4.75
46mm to 50mm $5.75
51mm to 55mm $7.00
56mm to 60mm $8.20
61mm to 65mm $9.50
66mm to 70mm $11.20
71mm to 75mm $12.75
76mm to 80mm $13.75
81mm to 85mm $15.00
86mm to 90mm $16.50

Shipping and packaging is not included in those figures. Here's what I see for shipping and packaging costs combined, (based on padded envelopes, bubble wrap and cardboard + USPS Website prices).

CONUS

1-6oz First-Class Mail® Parcel 3.75

Anywhere Else

1-2oz First-Class Package International Service™ $7.75

3-4oz First-Class Package International Service™ $10.25

5-6oz First-Class Package International Service™ $14.25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I am wanting to find out is that something that would work for you or is it just way too much, or do you not really have any interest in AR coated lenses cut to fit your lights?

I know the International prices are high, but I cannot do anything else. The prices come right off the USPS Website (+$1) and that is figured on padded envelopes. I would not dare to send a glass lens in a regular envelope and expect it to reach the other end after traveling thousands of miles, going thru automatic sorting machines and being handled by mail monkeys all over the world.

Thanks for responding in this thread.

EDIT: As of 7/5/13 I see the need to discuss tempered/toughened lenses. The lenses I would make are not toughened. Glass cannot be cut after hardening. It would not be any different than pane glass, so it would break as any other flashlight glass that was not hardened. I think that should be discussed.

Thanks for participating and there's always http://www.flashlightlens.com/ for some of your needs.

Sounds good.
You could cut the super rare 57.5mm size (HD2010, ZY-T13, ZY-T08).

Id be interested in a few sizes that I have not found yet. I can do a tally later on.

I've been goin with UCL/p, or UCL's in sizes when I can get them, and order at least 5 at a time, seems like lately. Agree - the hot lights will be C8's, HD2010's, T08, T13, SRK's, etc., plus the EDC sizes. Your prices come in under FFL and am thinking your shipping charges would be good for qty orders - that's how I can save with FFL also.

With the good prices, issue for me will be the quality - % loss and overall AR functionality. Also, the thickness may come into play for proper assembling, but there is some slop there on many lights. I've spent money on junk AR lens, and haven't done thorough lumens/throw testing myself on these.

If the quality is there, you are my new AR lens supplier!!

Also, if you could actually list the model light the lens fit, that would be great and really make it easy for the buyers!

I would be interested in a few. It is hard to find AR lens for certain flashlights.

Like a rat up a water pipe. As long as I have a job l’m in. On a side note I’ve been calling you for the last two weeks for supper and you haven’t turned up? Your LATE. I’m In.

I’d love these lenses for certain lights, but I’m not one of the guys that’s gonna keep you busy making them. I’d certainly buy some if you were doing it though.

Bort would be interested in a few small ones, perhaps combined with another member’s order (to Canada)

Nice going Ol. This one really caught me off guard so Im completely unprepared to inventory what I might need. Can you test a few of these with a light meter so we can figure out how efficient they are? Passing that, I think I could probably use several. I salute you for considering a way of filling a very tough niche. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

I will have to wait till I get home tonight, to tell you what the transmission is for the AR coating. The glass itself (uncoated) would be about 90%+(due to Reflection and Absorbtion), but with AR coating that should increase the number to above (edited), 9?%. I edited, because I don't know for sure sitting here at work. I will know more when I get home.

Example of plain Glaverbel: Light (375-700 nm) -thickness 1 mm
Reflection 8.1%
Absorption 0.8%
Transmission 91.1%

I have some info at home, but I am at work now.

Hi, sort one out for the olight s10/20 baton to get rid of the tint issues ,and you will sell some of those :slight_smile:

I would be interested to know if this is regular soda lime glass (greenish tinted) or low-iron soda lime.
The low-iron soda lime with AR coating is also referred to as UCL if it’s around ~98% light transmittance.

BTW, price wise including shipping is close to Flashlightlens.com prices for UCL lens.
But there UCL lens only go from 17mm to ~46mm, no larger.

I can’t say what I need, but once you had the ball rolling, I’m sure I’d start sorting through my favorite lights to determine what’s coated and what’s not, and make an initial order.

Maybe a seperately thread where members can list what popular lights are uncoated, with accurate measurements.
Eg: solarforce L series: Coated - ?
Diameter - ?

Old-Lumens,

Are you thinking about this as a 1-time deal, or are you planning on doing it on-going?

I’m interested in a few, but not sure about sizes at the moment…

Thanks,
Jim

Edit: For OCONUS, maybe if some people in one country are interested, they could do kind of a group buy and someone in-country could distribute them? Just an idea…

Interested, but im looking for 2mm thick glass for 4 srk’s

Is there anything you can’t do? I’ve got a few scratched lenses I’d love to replace so that’s at least 3 out of me.

I bet he hasnt yet figured out a way to distill a fine moonshine! But I know he’s into copper, so maybe its in the works… :bigsmile:

With overdriven Nichias. :wink:

@ THE_dAY - I do not know for sure, but I do not think it's UCL glass. I will have to find out. If it isn't, then (to me), it would not make sense to use AR coating on glass that is not clear to begin with, but I'm not a glass guy, so who knows? I will find something out in a few days about which exact glass it is and some specs.

@ ohaya - If I buy the stuff to make lenses, then I would make them more than once. I would keep the equipment and have "some glass" on hand, to be able to make lenses.

@ ttrevs1 - So far, it's been hard to find small amounts of coated plate glass to buy. No one wants to sell a few square feet. All I have found in several months is the 1mm and 1.5mm thickness.

As far as having a list of lens sizes, I would not have a clue that's any better than anyone else. If I do this, than I would need the buyer to measure the current lens they have and tell me if it's a tight fit, or a loose fit, so I know how exact to be with the replacement. Over time, a list would develop itself.

As far as doing anything?, it's cutting glass, how hard can it be? Any idea how many housewives sit around and make those stained glass thingies they hang all over? Suncatchers? and they can cut stained glass and make frames, so I ought to be able to. All I can do is suceed or fail.

Nitro’s sink-pads arrived today so I’ll need them soon if this works out.