your cpu temperature & fans

for 2 weeks the noisiness of my PC was irritating me, so today i opened it up, unplugged the hdd fan for good, removed the CPU fan, cleaned it — disassembly and oiling was not possible because the backside of the fan did not have the typical sticker w/ opening —, replaced the 2yrs old **ick layers of (dried) thermal paste with cheap sticky bike chain oil (which will never dry up!), and now the system is quiet enough with a low frequency noise and i am satisfied. I installed Core Temp for the very first time and i am monitoring the CPU temperature because instead of 3 fans (PSU fan, CPU fan, HDD fan) only 2 fans are at work.

mine during BFL **olling: ~29°C (= 83°F) :steve:

How many noise generating units (i.e. fans, water pumps) have you got in the computer and what's your cpu temperature now or the observed typical temp range?

If you would like to measure CPU temperature out of curiosity, you could try Core Temp too, it's a low resource freeware utility. Note that older CPU&mainboard combos (built before 2003) do not support CPU temperature readings thru Windows software, only thru BIOS.

I have an i7 960 CPU running at 3.8GHz. Its in a Thermaltake Armour+ case which uses 1x140mm intake, 1x120mm intake, 1x120mm exhaust, 1x230mm exhaust and I use a Coolermaster V8 CPU cooler. The cpu sits around 35-40oC. The two graphics cards do not help with the case temps!!

Stock i7 860 at 2.8GHz with stock fans… :frowning:

44°C idle and 65°C under load.

I really need a Noctua NH-D14.

I have two GTX560 SOC editions which have two 90mm fans on each of them. I didn’t count the PSU which is another 140mm fan. I also have a 92mm Antec spot fan directing air in between the two graphics cards to clear the radiated heat from the lower card.

In total there is 11 fans. hahaha

My system crunching 24/7 BOINC under full load:

It’s a coolermaster case with 92mm front intake and 92mm rear outtake fans. Additionally the 420W BeQuiet PSU has a slow rotating 140mm outtake fan. The cpu is cooled down by an arctic cooler 7 with 92mm fan. The graphics cards are complete passively cooled by system air flow. So total fans: 4 This system is old but powerful and nearly unnoticeable. I love it! :slight_smile:

I'm running 4 cores at 3Ghz with 8Gb RAM and Radeon Video - in the AMD 3870 APU

The stock cooler and fan works well - at this moment the CPU is at room temperature of 17.2 Centigrade or 63 fahrenheit, and the fan is turning at approx 500 rpm.

The Operating systems running on it at the moment are the main Linux Mint 14 plus 2 Virtual machines with Windows XP using 1 core and 1GB RAM and a Ubuntu VM development web server with 3 Drupal websites up, also using 1 core and 1GB RAM.

Wow, isn’t 17.2 Centigrade a bit chilly?

And it's not cold enough to turn the heater on yet.

I see, I wish I had ambients like that, it’s 30+ Celsius here, and we’re going through an electricity crisis because everyone’s using so much AC.

We get 35+ fairly often in summer, and sometimes 40+ - and the neighbours on both sides keep horses, and in summer if the wind blows the wrong way, your nose knows about the horses.

Nice. My laptop cpu (i7 2630qm sandy bridge) is averaging 46C across the cores. My GPU (nvidia 540m) is at 41C, and even my HDDs are at 31 and 36C. Room temperature is 22C.
I don’t have much open except skype and 8 tabs open in chrome, but I extend my screen to another 1080p monitor, so I guess it’s running 900*1600 + 1080*1920 resolutions.

I’m going to take a guess and say that my laptop has either 1 or 2 fans. 1 vent on the side though.

and it certainly delivers - enough performance and cores for the VM's and it just whispers along.

I'm not a gamer, though I've read that you can get good frame rates out of the APU at medium res without an actual video card, and it will work with a compatible Radeon card as if it had two cards.

haha its also got 2 SSDs, 4 HDDs and 24GB of ram (6x4gb sticks) 8)

Laptop. One tiny fan. Core 2 Duo T5450.

CPU: 35°C

HDD: 50°C

I'm still waiting for the HDD to blow up..

Why is your hdd hotter than your cpu?

My system basically idling with room temperature at 29 degrees C My case is an Antec 300 series with 2 front 120mm fans blowing on 5 HD's, 1 side and 1 back 120mm, and one 140mm top fan. The CPU cooler is a Coolermaster Hyper 212 with a 120mm fan.

System maxed out using IntelBurn Test on maximum setting

I asked my CPU and it said it was “a little hot, thank you for asking.”

HDD is the actual hard disk drive encoslure. You can download a program such as SpeedFan to measure your temperatures.

Temp 1, 2 and 3 are different for every computer. Temp 1 is most likely CPU, 2 and 3 are usually northbridge and motherboard (parts of your computer). However you can hover your mouse over the temperatures and if the min and max temp is the same then ignore it completely, because it’s an error. That might be why you’re showing –128C.

Core is the actual CPU core. Your cpu only has one core. For example an i3 would likely have Core0 and Core1, because it’s dual core, an i5 can have core0, 1, 2, 3 because it can have 4 cores. An i7 also has 4 cores so it will show core0, 1 ,2 ,3.

Well now that I saw this thread I am very concerd:

Intel I5 Lynnfield (4year old first generation)
LGA 1156 socket
stock intel cooler
Antec 300 case with 4 fans
Outside temperature 30 Celsius

60 Celsius at each core normal operation…
80 Celsius running game

I can not believe that you guys have 30 Celsius! Are you living on Alaska?