Kaidomain 20mmx20mmx1.5mm copper board for luminus sst-90 - any good?????

HI GANG
saw these 20mm copper boards for sst90 on KD, SKU S022181 @ $7.95 for 5 pcs ???

does anyone know if these are solid copper and are they any good??

I saw those too mounted with an sst-90 for $15.00 half the price of thier other sst90 bin was somthing I’d never herd of.

too bad noctigon and sinkpad are not available for sst90!!!

HOLY SMOKES!!! If the star is 20mm…the emitter takes up almost the ENTIRE CENTER of the star…that thing must be HUGE!

http://kaidomain.com/product/Details.S022180

But at $30~…daggum!

See post #21

I have not used any sst-90 from the purchase I made yet.

EDIT: I just worked out OP is talking about copper star only. I will tell you tomorrow I bought a MT-G2 that happens to be mounted on the same star (even labelled ‘sst-90’).

Since it sounds like MTG2 and SST90 can use the same star, why not just buy an MTG2 Noctigon.

That way you know you’re getting direct copper on the thermal pad.

I’m not a big fan of the SST-90 they are really kind of outdated. You can push a XM-L2 on copper hard enough to come close to it with lumens and it will smoke it with throw. If you want flood the go with a MT-G2 and you can double your lumens.

I suppose you hate old school corvettes too :stuck_out_tongue:

J/K

lol

As promised, I checked out the star and it seems direct to copper. I didn’t grind it with the dremel as I wanted to reuse the star again.

I guess the 0.1 could be a margin of error due to my fingers???

In this next pic is the MT-G2 top and sst-90 bottom

What you want to do to check is to simply touch the back of the star and the solder point where the emitter sits and check for continuity. It would give you the same reading as if you put the two leads of your DMM together. A lot of these stars have a thin layer where the emitter sits so they are not direct copper.

You have your DMM on the wrong setting to check for that. You want it on the next one counter clockwise. it has a little arrow and a + sign. Put it on that setting touch your leads together and it will give a number then zero out. Do the same with the top of the star and the bottom and see what happens.

I guess you cannot clearly make out my fingers are holding one lead in front and one behind (as you described).

As far as the diode setting on the DMM I get exactly the same result using the setting pictured only the read out is to the first decimal. The diode setting only reads in whole numbers.