One for the throw junkies - Cree XQ-E, twice the light density of an XP-G2

just got this link in an email from Cutter

oops, sorry Mark!

on it you’ll find some info about the Cree XQ-E, looks like it might dethrone the XR-E for throw, although putting it on a star might be hard…

Got the same mail and checked it out. Footprint and die size seem to be the same, 1.6x1.6mm so I don’t think it’s throwing XR-E off the throne just yet. But it still might be interesting for smaller optics applications, althoug it only produces 236lm@1A, which makes 75lpw at 6000K.

Ah, I didn’t twig that it had the same footprint as the XR-E. So this is more of an XR-E2 then? The output of the Q5 bin doesn’t seem that impressive compared to the XR-E R2, but I guess that there’s room for improvement. Lower Vf too, which might help.

Pretty high thermal resistance junction to solder point(7 vs 4 for xp-g2 and 2.5 for XML) so maybe not a good candidate for over driving.

Edit- I could be way off on that since the xre is 8 C/W.

that’s probably why the spec max current is 1A. Extrapolating from other Cree LEDs, that should give it at least 2 to 2.5A on copper :slight_smile:

Oh, and I wasn’t supposed to distribute this, so if you want the info you’ll have to ask Mark at Cutter. Sorry Mark!

It has the same chip as XP-E2, slightly wider viewing angle and less efficiency (Q5 in XQ-E and R3 in XP-E2). It won’t outthrow XP-E2.

A XQ-E is not on the Cree site, is it that new or is it a myth???

It’s not a myth. I know most people here don’t like CPF, but they have datasheet and a picture of a sample:

CREE just published info about this LED on their facebook page:

more info here:
http://www.cree.com/News-and-Events/Cree-News/Press-Releases/2013/September/XQE-intro
http://www.cree.com/xqe

1.6-mm x 1.6-mm footprint will test your soldering skills :smiley:

P.S. I just had a crazy idea, imagine AAA light with 4 x XQ-E (2S2P) :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it me or do those pics look like someone got creative with a torch on the dome? Maybe it's just butt ugly?

The butt is on the right side, splash zone on the top Tongue Out

What's up with that god awful crud on the dome? Yuk!

imperfections of current production process, they are just too small for any machine to handle, they can’t make perfect domes in that size :bigsmile:

Yea, it says Preliminary at the top. :bigsmile: :zipper_mouth_face:

Datasheet has been removed from that thread as well.

New datasheet at cree http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20Modules/XLamp/Data%20and%20Binning/ds%20XQE.pdf

Interesting emitter.

Top bin is R2. And in that bin you can get 80 CRI minimum in the whole range from 4000-5700K.

What I understand from reading the Cree site is that it is a xp-e2 with a smaller footprint, so no performance increase from this led I fear...

ah well, thought it’d be interesting. Always nice to know that new things are coming out, even if they’re not of much use to us!

Looks like dedoming will be a pain!!! The bond wires go through the plastic substrate that it sits on.Might have to try one just to see how it works.

Honest, it looks like my toddler’s boogers : on normal days, after a cold and after a nosebleed!

Funny and pretty informative picture from reefbuilders.com:

This thing is tiny!

id guessed that from the 1.6mm x 1.6mm footprint lol, nice to see it put to scale though.

its like comparing an mt-g2 to an xp-g2