10mm linear driver- discussion thread now

Redesign with kapton in mind & you can “stack” 7135s via kapton board origami. With creative origami there can be no need to hand solder the back side. Hotplate reflow everything on the topside & fold.

Out of secrets now… :_(

Yea, a contact board is not optional anymore.
Your not even suppose to panelized boards using slots or rows of drills on normal FR4 boards but seeed lets it through. Seed panelized Run a couple unneeded traces between each board from the unused attiny pins. I would also have continuous ground (not separate 10mm rounds) with cutting guide in the soldermask. Fabs are not precise with silkscreen so never use it as a cutting guide.

texaspyro - one problem I've had with Seeed is panelizing. They'll let you mark the boards, but they just won't cut it for you. So if I order a 5cmx5cm board with four 10mm drivers on it (which would be ideal) the external routes won't be simple enough to snap out the 4 PCBs. Or have I misunderstood their rules regarding milling/routing?

Any chance you can explain how you came to $96 for 100? I'm not questioning you; I'm curious and want to know myself!

- Matt

There’s no place on the board for a pos contact spring anyway so minimizing board thickness is good. There will probably (at least for me) be a second board with both + and - and that board will need some thickness, maybe .6-1mm. The driver pcb will need to be rigid enough to hold/clamp for parts placement. For versatilities sake I think I’d like it to be similar in thickness(.6-1mm).

Would you still be unable to resist at $6.50 a board.

Matt, could you fit 16 - 10 mm boards on a 5 cm x 5 cm panel, not just 4?

Yeah sorry, I was thinking of a 20mm board I'm doing for something else.

Still; my original query stands - panelizing with Seeed is an issue. They just don't seem to do it but that's why I'm asking texaspyro because he sounds like he has a better handle on it than I do.

Would you do that by staggering 5 rows of 4 boards? That might be hard to cut out but a simple 12.5mm grid for 4 x 4 on .6mm FR4 would not require exact silkscreen accuracy and be possible to cut or punch out. Thinner boards would be easier to trim anyway.

came across this...no parts list or schematic though

http://oshpark.com/shared_projects/rmpHePCh

not sure it helps...

That's a single mode driver. No MCU, low voltage or reverse polarity protection at all.

Bump. Anyone care to try? I hope you’ve been eating your carrots.

These are the first boards I've ever created using OSHPark. The routing seems pretty rough, but then again they are only 10.5mm across! The traces/mask/plating etc seem pretty good though. Can't wait for some of my own boards to arrive now.

Bring em on, been feeling bad long enough…ready to get busy!

I'm in for a few...I guess upgrading those small MXDL would be a cool project

http://www.fasttech.com/product/1057212-mxdl-xt7224-3w-50-lumen-led-flashlight-with-clip

Let us know when they are done prototyping and are ready for sale..most awesome!

People haven’t grabbed those boards yet to test??
I could perhaps try 1 or 2. Price?

Nobody’s pm’d me with a request and address yet. If you understand what’s involved and are both seriously interested as well as capable of soldering small smd’s then send a pm. These boards are free this time but since there are only 6 and 2 are already spoken for that leaves only enough for 4 lucky testers. If you can try this in the next 3 or 3 weeks great, but if you don’t have the time right now please wait and let someone else try. Remember, you need to have a nanjg 105c driver or 101 ak01 with an Atmel Attiny 13A, reverse polarity diode, memory capacitor, and 2 resistors for low voltage detection as well as at least one 7135 chip( you can stack more) for the parts swap.

Looks good (and I like purple)

I can solder it up and would love to try it out, but can not guarantee that I have the time to test it in the next couple of weeks. I will wait for a next batch :-) .

There hasn’t been all that much interest Djozz so if they’re not all accounted for I can still pop one to you. I just want to encourage them not to become forgotten bits in the freebee jar.

Is there a parts list, I would like to get the parts and build one from the ground up

Reminds me how easily time can slip by when there are other things going on. :~ Maybe I’ll wait for the next batch unless they haven’t been taken by next week.

WarHawk, easiest to get parts from an nanjg 105c driver. Just need to be good with tiny smd components, have solder paste, tweezers. DMM to check for shorts & troubleshoot.

That’s pretty much the recipe for all of us, pick a compatible driver with the program you want and swap the parts. I don’t have programming capability so this was what I came up with and Matthaus was kind enough to get the boards made but that’s all they are, just unpopulated boards with the same circuit as a nanjg 105c. Since there are so many of these it would be prudent to make sure the one you want to use is set up the same way.

It sure would not be forgotten, I am just not good with deadlines. I PM'd you my adress in case there's one leftover :-)