Tenergy vs Eneloops

Comparable? How so? Anyway, both are NiMH. So a charger designed around one of these batteries should work fine for the other. Also, both Eneloops and the LSD Tenergy Centura AA batteries are 2000mAH (and AAA batteries are 800mAH). So if the Eneloop charger is timer based, it should terminate at the correct time for Tenergy Centuras (provided they are fully drained). Of course, the biggest issue when it comes to Tenergy vs Eneloop is quality. Most anyone will say Tenergy can’t hold a candle to Eneloops. But I have yet to see solid proof of that. My Tenergy Centuras have been GREAT for me, and show no signs of quitting after a year. This may not say everything. But at least they’re not total garbage batteries that kick the bucket after just a few cycles.

Tenergy LSD show about 2/3 the specs compared to Eneloops, but they’re also about 2/3 the cost. I’ve never seen anything negative said about either brand.

I’ve got some eneloop AA/AAA (AA are in the mail atm), I may try tenergy next go around.

I am still waiting for the first "proof" of these Tenergy cells!! Discharge rates unused, and under load..

Storminmatt, do you have some links?

If you trust Amazon reviews.

As far as a comprehensive review by one of the Battery Guru’s… I would love to see that as well.

Yeah... have you read the reviews at Dino Direct?

anyway. this is the first review I read:

Quote: Long term self-discharge data: After 3 months in storage, a pair of Tenergy Centurs AA cells retained 1770mAh, or 84.3% of original capacity. This number by it self looks great. But a disturbing finding is that, after two more charge/discharge cycles, the average capacity is now just 2015mAh, or 4% lower than what I measured before. I have observed this kind of capacity reduction previously in off-brand precharged cells (such as Lenmar Ready-2-Go R2GAA), but never in Sanyo eneloop cells. Unquote

Send them to HKJ...

and test the LSD quality from time to time.

Thanks for the comments.
I have a supply of Eneloops, but thought I might try the Tenergys since they are a little cheaper. Not enough to take a lesser battery, though.

Regards,
Jerry

In response to a question in 2014 regarding whether there was a viable alternative to Eneloops I wondered about it. At the time Tenergy premiums were about $1.66, and Eneloops were running over $3 ea.

We had quite a discussion (I can’t find the thread) and I decided to run some run time tests with my lights and the two batteries. Some of the discussion centered around the longevity of the two batteries. One post indicated that after a week or so the Tenergy’s would have self discharged whereas the Eneloop would not.
My own run tests were not intended to be fair or scientific from the standpoint of capacity, but to use my batteries in my lights.
I found that in the first test the Tenergy Premium lasted longer than the Eneloop. I decided to try it after one month, and then 6 months. I got impatient so instead of 6 months after charging I have done it in 4 months.

Here are the results.
After 1 week using a 1 mode Sipik 68 clone. AA
Tenergy Premium 2hrs 3min
Eneloop 1hr 32min
After 1 month
Tenergy Premium 2hrs 5min
Eneloop 58 min I realize this is an anomaly, and can only think that this battery was better than the first.
After 4 months
Tenergy Premium 1hr 58min
Eneloop 1hr 40min

Tank 007 e09 AAA
After 1 week
Tenergy Premium 37min
Eneloop 37min
After 1 month
Tenergy Premium 52min
Eneloop 40min
After 4 months
Tenergy Premium 39min
Eneloop 45min

I acknowledge that as a scientific test this would fail badly as there is seemingly some diffference between individual batteries. However, on a particular day with a particular light and battery the results are useful to me. I conclude that at a significant difference in cost the Tenergy Premium gives “more bang for the buck” than Eneloops. Tenergy is a viable alternative to Eneloop, and at a difference of 50% and more, I prefer the Tenergy for my use. While they discharge at a faster rate than Eneloops they still retain most of their charge after 3-4 months. I am not adverse to topping off a battery before use if I have time.
Having tried for a short time the Duracell ion core they may be the best buy of all assuming they are rebranded Eneloops.

Jerry

@jerm03,

Thanks for the tests.

Any theory why 1 week test results are so “abnormal”, why the dip at 1 week?

Hi Sam,
No, none at all. The only thing that might make sense is that there must be some difference in individual batteries. Otherwise I haven’t a clue. I attempted to terminate each test at the same light output.
Obviously it would take a much larger sample size to be meaningful. I do not have the time or inclination. I did not want to record anything other than the actual results.
Jerry

Thanks for the test Jerry. Always interesting!

I’ve not purchased any Tenergy but may look into this now. The Duracell ion are rebranded Eneloops?

Taking a look at the Tenergy cell. The Centura can recharge up to 1000 times whereas the Eneloop claims 2100 times. So that is a consideration as well.

I have over 100 Tenergy’s and about 60 Eneloops in constant use. Not sure how long I’ve had them but many of each brand go back to 2011 (when I started my tracking file).

I’ve found no significant difference in capacity loss or self-discharge though I haven’t done any testing at all, just use them in lights, thermostats, remotes, clocks etc.

A case of “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Hi Dave,
The number of cycles would be important to some folks, but I cannot imagine ever needing even 100 for the way I use them. I am not sure how one would use lights that would require near 1,000 cycles.
Just for curiosity I wonder if someone would tell me how you use the batteries that would require 500 or more cycles. Just curious.

Thanks,
Jerry

Hope it is OK to bring back this old thread. I just got a pack of AAA Tenergy Centura to go along with my new ThruNite Ti3. I have a LaCrosse BC-700 charger and had an experience that was new to me. Not sure if this has any bearing on battery quality or what is going on. Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge may be able to shed more light on it.

First of all, I typically use 200ma for the AAA as LaCrosse recommends. If I am in a hurry sometimes I go to 500ma with the AAA and almost always charge the AA at 500. I did a quick high runtime test on one of the Tenergy cells fresh out of the package and was amazed that it went over 40 minutes on high! Decided to put all the cells in the charger and let them top off. Everything topped off at somewhere around 350 mah including the one I did the runtime test on! (All voltages terminated in the high .3s. That was odd as they usually terminate in the higer .4s or even low .5s. Have never seen anything like that before. Tried another runtime test with what I thought was one of the other cells and the run time was lousy. Must have gotten the cells confused.

Decided to run the Charge Test cycle and set the current up to 500 mah because something was not right. This time the results were pretty consistent with the cells ranging from a low of 813 to a high of 886. Voltages terminated higher as well.

My Eneloops are a few years old but probably less than 75 cycles. Last time I did a refresh (maybe a year or so ago) they were in the upper 700s. They only stayed above 800 for the first couple of cycles so I tried a refresh to see if they would go any higher. This time I just ran the charge test on these cells as they sit today. The results were 627 and 625.

Ran another High runtime test with the Tenergy that was at 813 and the Eneloop that was at 627. Ran both for over 55 minutes and there was still a fairly useful amount of light from each cell. The Tenergy was depleted down to .9V and the Eneloop still had 1.1! Put both back in the charger with just a standard charge (IIRC this was back at 200mah). The Tenergy took 1045 mah and the Eneloop took 753.

I don’t know what any of this means. I have no reason to believe that the Charger is somehow biased against Eneloops and is under reporting the charge that they have available. I don’t know if somehow the Tenergy’s are just more “leaky” when filling? In terms of light output or runtime the Tenergy may have a slight advantage but it would be subjective or require much more rigorous testing than I have the time or talent to do. By the numbers on the charger it should be unambiguous.

It will take time to tell if there is any quality isssues to be found in the Tenergy cells. At the moment they seem the equal in use to the Eneloops although the Eneloops have a few years and dozens of cycles on them. All I can say for sure is that the price was right and I am hoping that they will last and continue to perform as well as they do now.

If anyone can explain what appears to be a contradiction of a cell with more energy storage performing the same as one that measures less I would like to understand that.

Thanks,
Wade

LaCrosse charger…Please get an Opus 3100 or 3400 to charge your batteries….please.

I’ll bite. So what exactly is wrong with using a LaCrosse for charging NiMh? The person asking the question wasn’t using it for anything other than eneloop and tenergy batteries. As far as I know LaCrosse chargers have a good reputation. So the reason for not using it is?

Google is your friend… :slight_smile:

Interesting read on the meltdown and other problems. But in the tenergy/eneloop case this doesn’t seem to be the issue. But in any case I’ll never have a need for a LaCrosse :slight_smile:

I’m just surprised you didn’t take the time to research it before calling me out? :sushi: