Looking for recommendations on 1AAA light for keychain

In accordance with the axiom the best light is the one you have with you i am looking for something that is small, has lots of output and can be upgraded easily and good durability. Battery life is inconsequential, but higher efficiency driver and more then one mode are bonuses

I have these parts laying around from a Romisen upgrade that was never done (light was given away) and can use them to upgrade the light

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1124802
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1311501

I am looking for at least 75 lumens after upgrade (if needed), but the light has to be a cree led or something that does not need custom pills (i have no ability to produce them)

Budget is about $10 or less, if its just a host thats perfectly ok as long as it is compatible with the parts i have

Olight I3s EOS won’t need an upgrade to do 75 lumens but costs about 20$. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Olight-i3s-EOS-Cree-XP-G2-LED-AAA-Key-chain-Flashlight-Blue-with-Battery-/111152595253?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item19e1360135

On the other hand it will easily clear 200 lumens with a 10440. I love mine. :slight_smile:

Not sure there is a good aaa light without glued threads. Easily upgradable is hard to find in aaa. That XP-G2 on a 14mm star would need to be cut down to fit an aaa light.

About $10 leaves you with tank007 e09. 3 mode twisty. The OP reflector that newer ones use solves the problems with its beam.

Love efest 10440s :heart_eyes: zoom, zoom.

I was going to recommend the Tank007 E09 as well, but it's over $10. I really like mine. Only issue I have is occasionally finding the head unscrewed from it in my pocket.

-Garry

Upgradeability is not necessary if it has 75 lumens or more already, but i do have some xp-g sinkpads that can be cut to 10mm, and that light does have an xp-e, would i be able to upgrade it or will it no longer fit the reflector?

I am also considering this light
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1286602

How about trustfire mini 3?
it should meet your requirements.

that does look interesting, and stainless steel should wear well

I’m not planning on buying any 10440s, just using AAA NiMH that i already have

I’m surprised to hear your head unscrews in your pocket. The stock spring in mine made the head stiff enough that I wouldn’t expect it to do that. I changed mine to a lighter spring to make the easier to turn in one hand & switch modes quick. Head hasn’t unscrewed itself even with my lighter spring. Maybe your pockets are screwy. :smiley:

I have no idea on the upgrade-ability of the E09, never opened mine up to check.

-Garry

Always thought the Blackshadow / Fandyfire EVA looked cool. Only 1 mode mode tho, 3 modes are quite useful.

Tank007 E09 head is glued (first version sold had no glue). Sometimes the glue is light & you can open it.

Often in aaa lights the star is thin so a sinkpad would need its thickness sanded thinner to fit. E09 would need a sanded down sinkpad.

I like the two Yezl S7's I got for $5.99 on HOURSECKILL. Of course, no telling when it will be offered again at that price.

http://wallbuys.com/Product/YEZL-S7-CREE-Q5-LED-370-Lumens-5-mode-SS-waterproof-high-power-mini-flashlight-AAA-10440--6196

I will wait for some sales, 40% and 66% off are good deals

ready to upgrade

I love the ThruNite TiS but they are glued. Not what you could call easy for most people to open.

One of mine was very hard to open. Its threadlocker does soften with heat but even with a 50W soldering iron pressed against the inside of the pill it would not open. Mini blowtorch might have done it but don’t want to risk the anodizing changing color. Had to cut slots into the pill to be able to apply the force needed to break the threadlocker. Another one was much easier but still took some heat and leverage on part of the pill that is easy to damage. Just clamping onto the pill wrapped in rubber or leather couldn’t provide enough leverage.

It does fit a noctigon without sanding its thickness down.

Red threadlocker.

Thanks for the heads up, i am now leaning towards the E09 unless something else comes along

TiS o-ring should block any fluids.

With the E09 it seems to depends on your luck (or skill perhaps). Review: Tank007 E09 Black See “modding”. My E09s weren’t that hard though.

You changed my mind, i’m not equipped to make copper pills or unscrew heads and stars that well glued

the OP reflector of the current production version of E09 totally resolves the problem with the hotspot beam beauty but if prefer the throwiness of the SMO reflector. in everytime carry "(24-9)"/7 (8 hrs sleep and 1 hr for *oo and *ee *gg) it could really replace a 1xNiMH light such as E03

Chloe showed us how to mod the light in her very nice review work.

Yes the back spring is strong and the threads are long. With added silicone grease (sticky stuff yuck!) the head will not screw off even in unscrewy pants pockets ;)

Is this some universal light?
If i had one this thread would be redundant or at least superfluous

if you have a sample with a removable head you can send it my direction :stuck_out_tongue: