my first "build": convoy s2

well I put it together tonight:

Convoy S2 Flashlight host
QLITE REV.A 7135*8 3.04A LED DRIVER
CREE XM-L2 T6 3C LED on Noctigon 16mm MCPCB

ordered those parts from mtn-electronics, and ordered a tangsfire cheapy 18650 2900mah. battery with charger from tmart—mainly got it for the charger and I’m gonna order
some Panasonic cells soon.

I haven’t measured anything but can only compare to my only other real light- a fenix pd30 premium Q5. I left the driver in stock 3-mode.
low is great for around the house at night. useable and comfortable to see where and what’s going on. medium appears as bright as the pd30 turbo mode. high is at least double the pd30 turbo mode. I will say that it seems a bit more floody than the pd30. also the memory function of the driver is working. IMO not bad for a total price under $20.

Any plans to do more mods/builids? After doing my first mod, I went and had a look at all my lights to see if there are things I’d like to change about them. Most of them are ok as is (that was why I bought them in the first place), but the budget options, they do need a little bit more love compared to their branded counterparts.

sounds like a nice light! Question: does it take any special skill, tools, other parts, etc, to put one of those together?

I would like to try a first build.

thanks,

patrick

Soldering iron and solder at a minimum. Thermal compound is beneficial if the underside of the star and the pill are not lapped. Sandpaper from 200 to 2000 is optimal to lap, not required though.

Most of the standard driver swap/emitter swap is pretty forgiving as far as skill goes.

what about this:

This is one of my favorite EDC hosts! This host has nice anodizing, good threads, and accepts both protected and unprotected cells. The OP reflector produces a nice smooth beam with a diffuse hotspot. Just add a 16mm MCPCB with LED, 17mm driver, a bit of solder, and you’ll be in business!

The included driver retaining ring for the pill needs to be modified to work with many of the 7135 based drivers such as the qlite. You can make it work by enlarging the inside diameter of the ring. Instead, I usually choose to solder the driver directly to the brass pill.

I know nothing about building a light, but if I bought the parts the OP bought, could a newb build this light? Is there like a guide somewhere, a how to if you will?

THANKS! Gotta start somewhere.

patrick

Someone just starting out could definitely put together a flashlight host; it’s a very good first mod.

There is a guide; I’ll see if I can find the link.

Edit: I’m almost positive there is a guide… having a heck of a time finding it though. Anyway, even is there isn’t a tutorial I’m positive many nice people on this site will offer help if you run into any issues during your build.

Edit Edit: Hijacked your thread Joel, apologies. Congrats on the first build! :slight_smile:

the most difficult part was soldering the driver’s edge to the pill as the retaining ring was too small to clear the chips. other than that it was pretty easy. I am experience in soldering but the two wires were extremely small. also I thought my 45w iron was too hot so I got a 25w but ended up using the 45w which made it quicker. I’d recommend this build if you are considering anything more involved than a p60 drop in

Nice effort. To solder the small items a lot of here use a version of this. I’d be lost without it.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?\_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xhelping+hands&\_nkw=helping+hands&\_sacat=0&\_from=R40

yes definitely get some “second hands”. I just lightly put the pill in
my vise to hold it . my other advice would be to do what someone else on this forum recommended and scuff the pill edge and use flux when tacking the driver’s edge to it ——or open up that retaining ring to make clearance for the driver’s chips.
I opted to tack it in place since it was a perfect fit to begin with

Congratulation on the built, I also EDC a Convoy S2 myself, using generic 3 modes stacked 5x7135 and an aluminium star T6 4C from FT.

Very nice tint and don’t forget the stainless steel pocket clip if you ever needed one :wink:

S2 and s6 are my favorites

I like the 4c tint much better than the 3c which I find to be too green for me .

It's nice that there is a clip available but the clips are pretty dang cheap.I'd like to see someone etch, dye, stain...heat up with a torch ?? do something interesting with them .

at only 2 bucks you can't hurt them and they need a little help.

sand down all the sharp edges before installing